N(incoming)AD! Didn't see this one coming.

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Clifdawg, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

So I talked extensively about the Marshall DSL1 and said that would be my next amp purchase. That was not to be... Thanks to Sweetwater blowing out the older DSL40C for $399.99.

[​IMG]

Naturally, I pulled the trigger, much to the chagrine of my wife (we talked it out, though, she's a patient and understanding person. Thank God for her :rofl:).

So now I have an older DSL40C on it's way, the deal being that I would sell my Epiphone SG and my Blackstar ID:Core to recoup some of the costs, since I did just get through spending 2.5 grand on a bathroom remodel. Oh well, I was wanting a Tele down the road to keep the Gibson company anyway :fingersx:.

I understand this is the farthest thing from a "home use" amp as is possible, but if it's anything like the 100w monstrosity that was my Peavey Windsor, it should do low-volume well enough when clean. The newer one is actually not bad at whisper-quiet volumes, but I have yet to try this out, so we'll see. I can always pop a distortion pedal in front of the clean channel to do heavier stuff at low volumes. Otherwise, I plan on taking this beast out to church on the regular to get it moving some air. :thumb:

Gibson + Marshall... I can't wait!

syscokid likes this.
  2. Notabot

Notabot Active Member

Put a volume pedal or GE-7 in the effects loop and crank it up. Use the EQ or Vol pedal to lower the DB level to your "nice/home" sound level. That's what I do!

Clifdawg likes this.
  3. Clifdawg

I saw Philip McKnight do a video on that and suggested the use of an EQ pedal with a volume boost/cut. I see Behringer has a 25-dollar EQ pedal, which I'm sure is of top build and tonal quality (sarcasm), but, as it would only be used at home to attenuate the preamp down, I'm sure it will more than suffice.

I'll still have my Katana 100, if I just want to plug in and go.

Notabot likes this.
  4. Clifdawg

[​IMG]

Got it in today! Only got to test drive it a few minutes, but I can tell this is really gonna fill a hole left behind when I got rid of the Peavey Windsor half-stack. It's even baby-approved - in Triode (half-power) mode, I can get shimmery cleans to juicy distortion at barely audible volumes. It's also not nearly as heavy as I was expecting - it's not noticeably heavier than the Peavey Bandit I had a while back. Time will tell if the honeymoon will fade, but so far, I really can't dial in any sound I truly hate, and that's a really good start. :thumb:

5. Notabot

Notabot Active Member

I like mine too! Rock it like ya stole it!!!!!!

When you get a minute or 3, check the bias. I have mine at 38mv and some peeps really like lower, around 32mv. My amp came from the factory biased unevenly and was over 50mv.

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  6. Clifdawg

At 400 bucks, I practically did steal it!

And, total tube amp noob here: I have no idea about how to bias or anything. The extent of my knowledge of tube amps:

1. There are preamp and power amp tubes,
    2. The power amp tubes must be matched, and
    3. If I open it up and mess with a capacitor, I could get electrocuted.

Is there anything wrong with playing it as is if everything sounds fine? If it's incorrectly biased for some reason, will that harm the amp? Or just decrease the life of the tubes? I know some people run them "warmer" or " cooler" to achieve a particular sound, but frankly, I like the way it sounds out of the box.

I've had tube amps before, but I just bought and played the dang things, haha. :rofl:Had a crappy Crate V18 through half of high school and all through college, and played a Peavey Windsor for something like 4 years. Never changed a tube. :hmm:

7. Notabot

Notabot Active Member

Nope. Especially after buying it from SW. They have good support in the remote chance anything should go way far south on ya....

Clifdawg likes this.
  8. lcw

lcw Active Member

You should really check plate voltage before setting on a particular number. Apparently some are up to like 480-490V plate voltage and other much lower. My 40CR (not quite same as your 40C) measured 426V when I checked. Has an effect on where you set bias at least initially if you are going by the typical formula.

9. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

That’s a good amp at a great price. Hope you love it

10. Clifdawg

Thanks! I do love it. It's been two months and the honeymoon doesn't have an end in sight. I've got it dialed in, and now I pretty much just plug in and go, whether for practice or live. It also plays surprisingly nicely with the magnetic soundhole pickup in my acoustic - very full, balanced tone that I believe sounds far better than a buzzy piezo. I play it pretty much exclusively now - I actually ended up selling my Boss Katana just because I think the DSL40C sounded better than the Katana at whisper-quiet volumes, and there's nothing like the full roar of a Marshall when the opportunity to crank up presents itself. Kept the Blackstar ID:Core for when I need a little desktop amp, but otherwise, I really could care less about ever owning another amplifier.

DrBGood likes this.
  11. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

That’s excellent. Nice when a good deal turns into a great deal