N(used)GD - Custom Shop w/ Maestro

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by nate33, Feb 28, 2021.

1. nate33

nate33 Active Member

Just picked up this 2009 Custom Shop off of Craigslist. I've been looking for a maestro equipped SG for a while but didn't want to purchase anything without playing it first. Luckily this one popped up in my area. It's getting a setup next week to bring the action down a bit. So far I am very happy with it.

First impressions - this thing is a beast. It's the most solid SG I've ever owned. It makes my USA 61 reissue feel like a toy. It's a little heavier due to the maestro but overall it's just incredibly solid feeling. I used to own a great Custom Shop Special with P90s but the quality of this guitar just feels like it's on another level. They both had a good feel and the finish was excellent but the components on this new guitar seem to be a notch above. The pots are smoother, the toggle is more definitive, the plastic is nicer, etc. The neck is a little thicker than the 60s profile on both the 61 and the CS Special. It's approaching the C shape of my 2001 special only it's wider. So far I am really enjoying it. I also like the Burstbuckers - a little hotter than the 57s in the 61. I don't mess with electronics too much so we'll see how they do. Can't wait to get it dialed in next week.

Here are a few pics.

2009 Gibson Custom Shop SG Maestro
    2016 Gibson USA 61 reissue limited proprietary ebony
    2001 Gibson USA Special ebony stain
    ???? Epiphone SG (my first SG - with bridge PU cover on the neck PU)

IMG_2287.jpeg IMG_2297.jpeg IMG_2298.jpeg IMG_2288.jpeg IMG_2295.jpeg IMG_2296.jpeg IMG_2300.jpeg IMG_2301.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  2. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Sweet cllectors here, do you sale the ebony '61 Ri ?

The Ebony stain SG was born with P90 (Classic) ?

3. nate33

nate33 Active Member

The ebony '61 was a pain to get my hands so it's not going anywhere unless I upgrade to an ebony CS version. From what I understand this limited proprietary model was for international markets so I ended up having to get it from a Japanese auction site.

The ebony stain SG is a Special and came with humbuckers. It's 100% original minus the knobs and poker chip. Love that guitar.

papagayo and cerebral gasket like this.
  4. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I like that 2001 SG Special.
    Is the ebony finish solid color, or is it translucent with grain visible?

I have a 2004 SG Classic with solid color ebony finish that I had to purchase from Japan as they were not available here locally.

[​IMG]

5. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

The '61 Ri is made like the '61 Ri in the 90s with a Gibson ABR-1. I remember the SG Classic with ebony stain finish, very cool instrument

Temp 47548.JPG

PermissionToLand and pancake81 like this.
  6. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Those Translucent Ebony finishes on the SG Classics from 1999-2001 look more like dark walnut. I've never seen one in person. They seem difficult to capture the actual color with photos.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  7. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Very cool collection, and some somewhat rare guitars. I would be happy to have those in my music room.

interesting comments regarding the feel of the CS guitar, feeling better built. I have a few SG’s including a custom shop and a 61 re-issue, but I would say they both feel fantastic. One thing I have noticed with my SG’s is that my 61 RI (2001), is by FAR the most acoustic when playing unplugged. I would argue 4 times louder than my next closest.

I really like the translucent black SG, that’s looks amazing. I didn’t realize they did a batch of specials like that back in 99-01.

I noticed you like your with hats! Do you mind me asking your source?

8. nate33

nate33 Active Member

The ebony '61 is a solid finish with no grain visible. I always like those Classics with P90s.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  9. nate33

nate33 Active Member

I agree it feels like walnut from the 70s and it's very hard to photograph.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  10. nate33

nate33 Active Member

The '61 is great overall (although there are definitely some hidden blemishes that speak to poor craftsmanship/quality control). I just wasn't expecting the feel of this CS to be so much more substantial. It's hard to describe. Even nicer than my previous CS.

I do like the way witch hats look and feel. They felt appropriate on the Special since it has an early 70s walnut vibe. The ebony '61 is made to replicate the Angus black SG. I probably won't mess with the CS knobs, although I'm tempted. The knobs are easy to source on Reverb although I've never found a historically accurate version. The font is always wrong. I purchased both sets from Allsound Store because they seemed nicer than the All Parts version. 1 set was poorly printed so they sent a free replacement. I would say the quality is ok. The hard part is finding the angled pointers. I got them on Ebay from Philadelphia Luthier Tools & Supplies. Again, not 100% historically accurate but you don't really see them.

PermissionToLand and pancake81 like this.
  11. pancake81

Awesome, thanks for the information.

I dig the black 61 for the same reason, Angus’ rig. It’s on My wish list to get a black 61, although I know they are hard to source.

I have 3 SG’s, all inspired by Angus. Once I get I black 61 I would say I have a good replica of his 4 main stage guitars.

thanks for sharing the photos and review. Great read

12. nate33

nate33 Active Member

I've been watching a lot of live footage from the Ballbreaker Tour because Angus switches back and forth between the black SG and a cherry SG with a maestro (very similar to my new guitar). Not sure what happen to that pairing as the cherry maestro SG doesn't seem to appear again. Let's see your Angus SGs!

13. pancake81

At first I was thinking maybe it was promotion for his signature SG, but that did not become available until 2000. During that period he did have a contract to play the 61 RI for promotion, perhaps that was one of them. Or perhaps one of his vintage ones that he connected with on the tour.

I, like you, have a strong passion for Angus gear. My wife and bank account wish I didn’t...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

LTBR and papagayo like this.
  14. pancake81

As you can see, I am still in need of some witch hat knobs. Hence the reason I was inquiring

15. nate33

nate33 Active Member

Very cool! Love the lightning bolts.

pancake81 likes this.
  16. pancake81

Thanks, I love it too. That guitar was probably the one iconic guitar that was always on a pedestal for me since a child. It was cool when I finally had the opportunity to buy one of the custom shop models from Gibson (well, Sweetwater actually).

By far the most I have ever spent on an instrument. But it wasn’t really about money. From what I see with prices it turned out to be a good investment as well

17. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

The one used on the Ballbreaker tour was an original '63-'65 Standard. He actually never played a '61 Reissue live to my knowledge, with the exception of one that he likely had custom made for him by Gibson around 1980/1981. That was his number 1 from 1982-1986 or so.

2BM1X82.jpg

Notice the funky Norlin shape pickguard with the long tip. Not an original and pre-dates the first SG-62s by a longshot.

As I recall, the Witch Hats on my SG were fine spline metric size because I couldn't find coarse spline for the life of me, and I just forced them on. :thumb:

The plastic splines actually kind of molded to match and it worked out surprisingly well.

pancake81 likes this.
  18. pancake81

I was watching some of the ball breaker tour vids today but couldn’t find any with a maestro SG. I thought that’s what Nate33 was referring to. A red SG with the maestro.

Is this the one you are referring to Nate?

[​IMG]

19. PermissionToLand

That's the one (probably, who knows how many identical SGs Angus owns).

It was one of his backups. You can see it in the Hail Caesar music video:

20. PermissionToLand

And then on No Bull, at the end of LTBR when he comes back on Brian's shoulders, he's using that SG:

8:25