N(used)GD - Custom Shop w/ Maestro

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by nate33, Feb 28, 2021.

1. nate33

nate33 Active Member

I think that's the one. There are a bunch of shows on YouTube from '96 where he uses the black SG/cherry maestro SG combo. Sometimes he used the black SG until he gets back on stage from going out in the crowd. Sometimes he use the cherry maestro most of the show and only used the black SG for a few song while the other gets tuned (I'm guessing). It's different every show. The Angus SG nerd in me finds it fascinating and puzzling. Also, form the footage I have seen the cherry maestro appears to be vintage.

2. nate33

nate33 Active Member

Yeah. That's the combo I've seen the most - the black one for most for of the show and the cherry maestro after coming back on stage. I'm guessing the black one was finally out of tune. There are several shows were the opposite happens and that's what I'm curious about. How did the cherry maestro get in front of the black one for certain shows?

3. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

They're both vintage. The Ebony one is a '65. The Cherry one, I haven't seen closely enough to narrow beyond '63-'65.

BTW, anything you see with a Maestro has to be vintage because Gibson didn't even offer a new SG with a Maestro again until 1999. The last ones before that were produced in 1971. And like I said, Angus doesn't use reissues.

Great version of Shot Down in Flames there, BTW. Nobody can play that groove like Phil.

The Ebony one seemed to be his number 1 from TRE-Ballbreaker, then for SUL he seemed to use the lightning bolts SG the most, and since Black Ice he's been back to the Ebony SG. But he's always changed it up throughout tours; while something may be his number 1, he still likes to use a different guitar every few shows just to change it up. If he changes mid-show, that's definitely because something went out of tune or broke a string, but there's no reason his tech won't have every guitar ready for him at the beginning of a show (unless of course major repair work is needed to be done on something).

So I'd say it's as simple as; he felt like playing the Cherry one that day!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    nate33 likes this.