NAD: Fender Bassbreaker 45

SGspecial

Reaction score
A Fender amp with EL34 power tubes? Say it ain't so. I've been interested in the new Fender Bassbreaker series since I read about them a few weeks ago. I got a chance to try out the 45 combo a while back and liked it. I really needed just the head for my uses though.

So yesterday Guitar Center sent me a 20% off coupon in my email. I had to make a trip into the city for a doctor appointment anyway so I figured this might be a good time to shop for the head. GC had the head in stock. With the coupon it was only $720 + tax.

I plugged it into my Jet City 4x12 cab this afternoon. Cab is loaded with WGS ET65 and Vet30 speakers. I used my SG Standard to check it out. This is certainly the most versatile Fender I've owned. A wide range of tones are available between the normal, bright, and both inputs. The wattage control allows you to dial any tone at any volume. I bought my first Fender amp in the summer of 1968 (a Vibrolux Reverb) and have owned dozens since but this is definitely a departure from those previous amps.

http://www.fender.com/guitar-amplifiers/vintage-pro-tube/bassbreaker-45-head/2266000000.html

DSCN0923_zpsuv60zp6j.jpg

DSCN0938_zps12ytbvs9.jpg

DSCN0930_zpsxuw9ofrm.jpg

DSCN0932_zpsv8l9ing8.jpg

Yes this picture is upside down.

DSCN0934_zps5akpp9dr.jpg

DSCN0936_zpslqq9gsba.jpg

Okay I know what you're thinking. Why would I buy another amp if I'm retiring in three weeks? Well I might need something to play around the house if I get bored. Watch for my retirement sale January 1st through the 25th. Seriously.

syscokid

Reaction score
I read about these new Fenders about a month ago. I liked what I saw on paper. I don't know where I got the info thinking that these were not going to be released till January '16. Your posted video link is the first one I've seen, and I like what I hear so far.

Congrats on what should be a very nice amp and reasonably priced, too. Plus, you got that extra deal to sweeten it... :yesway:

Bettyboo

Reaction score
Great amp - kinda weird, but really really nice nonetheless - covers a lot of ground and with excellent tones.

With the coupon it was only $720 + tax.

Can you bloody American gents just give the price please, it's not as if the tax isn't part of the cost!!! :D

dcwave

Reaction score
I would like to hear how this sounds next a a JTM 45/Bluesbreaker. I find it kinda "full-circle-funny" that Marshall took the Fender Bassman to make its first amps, and now Fender is taking the Marshall Bluesbreaker to capture new business.

dcwave

Reaction score
Can you bloody American gents just give the price please, it's not as if the tax isn't part of the cost!!! :D
LOL sales tax is different in each city, or no tax at all. Not like the VAT thank goodness.

Bettyboo

Reaction score
LOL sales tax is different in each city, or no tax at all.

OK, sorry, didn't realize - that's crazy! & very unfair...

Typically, what would a tax and the range be? 10%-20%?, 1%-30%? This could be cause for a revolution!

OP, sorry to derail a bit. I really think you've made a great purchase with that amp. As a brand, Fender seem to have got their act together brilliantly in recent years.

Madmatt

Reaction score
:shock:

20% in the UK, and a minimum of 15% across Europe as a matter of Federal Fourth Reich dictate. The US of A sure is good for shopping...
thats the upside!
There may be downsides as well, but thats all complex and kinda dull

SGspecial

Reaction score
Sales tax in the USA varies quite a bit by how and where you make your purchase. If I order from Musician's Friend online and have it delivered to my house I pay NOTHING in sales tax.

Just wait, it's about to get confusing. Different states, and different cities within those states have different sales tax rates.

I live in southern Kentucky, just north of the Tennessee border. I have four Guitar Centers within 100 miles of me, but those are located in THREE different states (Kentucky, Tennessee, and Indiana).

In order of closeness and sales tax rates:
Nashville, Tennessee 10% tax
Brentwood, Tennessee 10% tax
Evansville, Indiana 7% tax
Louisville, Kentucky 6% tax

I picked up this amp in Nashville so I paid the 10% rate. When I bought my 2016 SG Standard last month the GC website was showing availability in both Brentwood and Evansville. I chose to drive to Evansville to pick it up since the sales tax was lower.

It gets even more confusing. If I order from Guitar Center online and have it shipped to my house they charge me 6% sales tax even though Musicians Friend charges me nothing, and they are both owned by the same company.

When I bought my Les Paul Standard Plus I wanted to check it out in person since it was such an expensive guitar. I ended up buying it at Sam Ash Nashville and paid over $300 just in sales tax alone.

Any questions?

frankd

Reaction score
Very nice amp you got there Special I too saw those come out .
I was checking out the 15 watter but I already have 3 15 watt El 84 amps and one v6 15 watt.
that power scaling is a really nice addition does it have the top boost? and the both plug is great
saves ya 20 bucks on a jumper cable. I kept my plexi jumped before I sold it.
once again great addition and I guess your mostly driving to get your gear after fedwrecks tore up the 18 watt clone.
frankd

mdubya

Reaction score
I haven't heard a demo in which I liked the sound. But you can never tell with a demo. :smile:

xland

Reaction score
Congrats on the new(ish) amp!! I am incredibly interested in this new series. I hope to get out to GC in the not too distant future to give one a try. The 7W or 15W would be more in line with what I'd probably get.

lineboat

Reaction score
I played one of the big combo amps yesterday. I've been wanting a Vibrolux, but my mind may have been changed after playing the new Fender. That was an amazing tone; not Vox, not Marshall, but very nice!
Congrats!

SG_Island

Reaction score
Man, that video sounded pretty good.. I'll have to go try one of these out. I'm pretty impressed with the versatility - sounds like you can get your Fender and Marshall-like tones both with this thing..

Latest posts