NAD Laney Iommi 15W

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Heket, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Howndog

Howndog Member

Nice....."Wicked" set-up. My head-bangin' kid says you may need a BC Rich (least that's what he keeps telling me inspite of my dark-burning SGJ with devil horns!)

HD

ps. You MUST scoop your mids....

Tazz3 and Heket like this.
  2. Dreamscape

Dreamscape Active Member

Nice one Heket, yeah those P90's are noisy buggers...
    I want to hear an "Iron Woman" solo soon :)
    Wah, Wah, Wah, Wah, Wah, I am Iron Woman have I lost my mind
    can I see or am I blind.
    Now the time is near for Iron Woman to spread her fear
    Vengeance from the grave kills the people she once saved etc etc etc............

Heket likes this.
  3. jojo68

jojo68 Active Member

Grats on the new amp !!!

Heket likes this.
  4. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

I can do that without electrocuting myself? Good to hear! I never know what's safe to open up with the power running when it comes to electrical equipment and I always default to nothing being safe :p I won't get a nasty shock touching guitar innards when plugged into an amp?

Hmmm I think I'll stick with my SG. Not a BC Rich fan :D I tried some scooped mids the other day and it was an incredibly heavy sound, but I like my mids. I don't scoop them too much :)

So it looks like I now need to learn the Iron (wo)Man solo and make some clips, haha. The former might take a while, but I'll see what I can do about the latter this coming weekend.

Oh and Shreddy, this actually isn't my first tube amp as I have a Lil Night Train and had a Hayden Lil Mofo (still have but trying to sell). This is my first larger tube amp though. Tube or SS wasn't really the thing here, nor was the desire for Iommi tone, I just wanted a versatile analogue metal amp that could do me for home and jamming (if I ever get around to that).

shreddy bender likes this.
  5. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

I knew you had the Lil' night train but wasn't sure if it was all tube or a hybrid.
    Well congratulations none the less! Enjoy your sweet metal tones!

Heket likes this.
  6. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

Wow, this is amp #5 or #6 now?:dunno:

You're gathering quite a collection there young lady.:hmm:

Have fun with it. The larger speaker alone will make ya grim like a possum!:D

Heket likes this.
  7. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

Hmm, I do seem to be growing a collection! I am trying to sell two of them though, not to much luck. Another two are either broken or unreliable. That leaves me with 4 in regular usage :D

Iommi - for hard rock and metal
    Lil Night Train - for cleans and a more classic sound
    Valvetronix - for when I want everything and some effects thrown in too
    THR5 - for when I'm feeling lazy with recording and want something quiet to noodle on

I've noticed that the Iommi speaker is connected to the amp via the outside so I can unplug the amp head part and use it in a bigger cabinet. However, this also means I can us that cable to plug the speaker into my Lil Night Train head, no? I don't want to break anything but I would like to try the Lil Night Train in a decent cabinet!

[​IMG]

8. Dreamscape

Dreamscape Active Member

You can do it Heket, here's a cool "Iron Woman" lesson.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=turCFul3QwE]"Iron Man" Guitar Lesson, first solo with Tab - YouTube[/ame]

9. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

Congrats on the cool amp! :dude::dude::dude:

That's good. Rock n Roll is supposed to be noisy. :naughty:

Also, try moving the guitar around the amp a bit. You can likely find a spot where there isn't much hum. Jimi didn't need a noise gate. :)

Heket likes this.
  10. Gemini75

Gemini75 Active Member

@Heket: You can also swap speaks out if you wanted too. Greenback for a more vintage tone, or a v30 or t75 for a more metal one.

11. Krosis

Krosis Well-Known Member

What a coincidence! I just got myself one of these too. A local GC had it used and I was also able to get it for a great price. I tested it out in the store with a Gibson SG and I just had to have it! SG + this amp = Insta-Tony!

It's LOUD for a 1w. I don't even need to use the 15w setting. I'm also glad it has an effect loop, I'm looking forward to experimenting with that.

It does have the pre-boost section which is pretty cool. I originally assumed it was supposed to be a rangermaster type effect, but the manual compares that setting to adding an overdrive in front of the amp. In any event, it sounds great. It has a footswitch jack for it, but it did not come with the footswitch. I can't seem to find anywhere that sells it in the US, but it's not a matter of life or death.

I usually don't buy signature gear but Tony is my favorite guitar player and I will enjoy having his tones so accessible. I can get a good Sabbath tone on my Micro Terror but I also like using that amp for other tones too. I'm really impressed with the tone and range of features with this amp. I don't think one would even need other Iommi signature gear if you just get this amp and use a SG. You don't even need dirt pedals. Laney really did a good job with this one.

Heket and eS.G. like this.
  12. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Cool amp! I'm glad you got one that really moved you into a serious playing zone.

Enjoy the Laney.

Heket likes this.
  13. LeadFinger

LeadFinger Well-Known Member

"Iommi - for hard rock and metal"

And controlling the undead?

Heket likes this.
  14. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Crap...I totally forgot about the "controlling the un-dead" angle...........crap!:mad::(

15. jeremy

jeremy Active Member

MAn i want one of these! Great looking amp.

Heket likes this.
  16. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

I do use the 15W setting turned down a bit because I find that, to my ears, it sounds a little better. Perhaps a bit fuller and rounder? Could be imagining it, but I also found the same with my variable wattage Vox - higher power at lower volume sounded better than lower power at high volume.

It's that good for making Iommi sounds? Cool, glad you could review that aspect of it as I don't know that much about his tone :) No indeed, no dirt pedals necessary. I tried one and it was the very definition of superfluous.

Get it :D I have trouble imagining that anyone would regret it if they like Iommi-type tones.

Yeah, I know I need to record some samples, but I've been ill :( I'll see what I can do about it this week.

jeremy and Biddlin like this.
  17. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

Anita, just remember to make sure your impedance is the same for the amp /cab combination you are connecting to. 4 ohm 4 ohm, 8 ohm 8 ohm 16/16

18. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

That's a great idea to protect the speaker cone on an open back cabinet like that, with the metal mesh.

I've always been careful when packing the power cable in the cabinet on a combo amp, and in this case the maker thought of that beforehand.

19. Tobacco Worm

Anita, I'm glad that your Laney has some tone and bottom to it. I had bought a Laney Cub12R a year or two ago and it was the most lifeless amps I've had in years. I even went inside and rebuilt the tone block in order to give it some depth. The modification to the amp helped, but it still didn't fill the bill so to speak for my taste. I soon sold it and the place that bought it still has it sitting on the sales floor. So I am pleased to hear that yours indeed has some guts to it and can wail like it should. :thumb:

Heket likes this.
  20. Tobacco Worm

Hey David, that cage is a "Law Suit" cage. Many amps made now have some sort of cage or protection device in place over tubes and such now as someone burnt their fingers and made a stink about it. So nearly all amps will have a cover or cage for the tubes and such.