NAD (...or well tomorrow) [Peavey Solo Special Content]

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by NoiseNinja, Nov 29, 2019.

1. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Active Member

I have bought a used Peavey Solo Special 112 160W solid state combo amp with a build in 12" Scorpion speaker unit.

Going to have it delivered at my brother's house tomorrow, as the seller live close by him, and will then have my brother deliver it to me sometime later this month (as in sometime in December).

So exited to get it home and try it out, and I got it for the amazing price of what equals just about 74$.

Going to be my main guitar amp.

These old Peaveys are seriously underrated amps.

Here's a picture of it:
    [​IMG]

Already got another old Peavey amp, a Peavey XR-600B Mixer Amp head that I use for my bass setup, and it absolutely kills.

Will be nice to get a dedicated amp for my guitar setup, that I will use with my only and main electric guitar, a really cheap, but non the less great, Epiphone SG Special:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    Astral Traveler, PixMix and Clifdawg like this.
  2. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

Rock and roll, baby! That's a steal of a deal. That amp looks exceptionally clean, practically like new. Peavey SS amps are the best, hands down. Play it loud!

NoiseNinja likes this.
  3. Michael Blackmore

Michael Blackmore New Member

One of my first amps was a Solo Special, about 35 years ago

NoiseNinja likes this.
  4. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Active Member

Still waiting to get it home, since my brother haven't been by yet.

This coming Saturday should be the end of my wait though, so I'll post another picture of the amp, once it's up on my apartment, and write a short report on my first impression, after having tried it out.

5. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Member

I too just picked up an old "Solo Series" Special chassis. The guy said it had developed a "hum", I haven't checked it out yet, but both of the reverb tank wires are cut! I'll swap the P/S caps, and check the filtering, but I really suspect the reverb circuit is the "hum".

NoiseNinja likes this.
  6. Paul Creed

Paul Creed New Member

Love Peavey amps but I'm a Marshall convert and although her majesty complains bitterly I've a stack in the bedroom (oops sorry studio). Once owned a Peavey stereo chorus amp. It was SOOOOOO LOUD the other band members complained until I replaced it.

NoiseNinja likes this.
  7. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Active Member

So finally got it home and have had a short test run.

It has been taken care of just as amazingly well as it seemed from the picture the seller put up, the one posted in the first post of this thread, looks almost as good as new and has no scratching pots or any other issues from wear like that either what so ever.

In the short time I used on tweaking my clean tone, not to bother my neighbours too much, as I live in an apartment, I actually managed to dial it in to exactly how I prefer it, sounds absolutely great.

Took my pedal effects really well too.

The build in reverb sounded decent, but I think the main issue I have with the build in reverb, beside prefering plate reverb over spring reverb in general, at least for my use, is that it is either too subtle or when it gets to the amount of reverb effect I'd like it begins to dampen the attack and affect the clearness of the tone too much, properly partly because there is no pre delay before the reverb kicks in, as I have set my Zoom G1Xon plate reverb to have, so I'll use that instead.

Tried the drive channel very briefly, properly too short and with too little tweaking involved to make any final conclusions, but didn't sound all too promising judging from my very brief test run, doesn't bother me much if it can't be tweaked to sound good (though it might be possible to get it to sound good with some more time used on tweaking), as I am going to use pedals for overdrive and distortion anyway.

Also a very loud amp, just a tiny smidge above zero on the volume control and it had a fitting amount of volume for apartment practice.

No doubt it will have more volume on the dial than I will ever need for band practice and gigs as well.

All in all I am really really satisfied, a lot of amp for just 74$, and even if I had had to pay more it would still had been totally worth it.

Here's the promised picture of how the amp looks up in my apartment:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    Astral Traveler likes this.
  8. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

Man! That thing is beautiful. Looks like it just came home from the shop brand new. You walked away with a good one!
    Oh, definitely a loud amp. Anytime someone wants to argue “tube watts are four times louder than solid state watts duh everyone knows this peasant,” I humbly encourage them to crank up a 40-watt Peavey and let me know how quickly the band asks them to turn it down.

Astral Traveler likes this.
  9. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

I love PEAVEY amplifiers, the Transtube technology is fine.

NoiseNinja likes this.
  10. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Active Member

Update!!!:

And new sound test, after I stuck an EHX Black Finger (tube driven optical compressor) into the Send/Return effects loop of the amp.

Just be aware that I broke a nail since last recording, so some notes will sound weaker than intended, not the setup's fault:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/awec11uo0wgfrm7/New Peavy Solo Sound Test.mp3?dl=0

Here is a sound test of my amp, recorded through my tube condenser microphone (link to DropBox, and if you are not logged in a box might pop up when clicking the link encouraging you to sign up to DropBox, blocking for the audio player, in that case just click with your mouse in the window beside it and it'll disappear, making the audio player accessible): https://www.dropbox.com/s/csrm9aghs85uuob/Peavey Solo Special Sound Test.mp3?dl=0

No other effects than my effect pedals used, exactly as recorded.

My signal path:

Epiphone SG Special>>

Joyo Orange Juice (light/medium overdrive, as well as dirty boost for the GDI21 dist)> Behringer GDI21 (always used in conjunction with the Joyo Orange Juice for high gain dist, using the California (Mesa Boogie) setting)> Behringer UT100 Ultra Tremolo> Boss LS-2 [A+B Mix<->Bypass]> ={ Loop A of LS-2 Send> Monarch MFL-22 (flanger, most often used in conjunction with the phaser in effects Loop B)> Behringer UV300 Ultra Vibrato (practically functioning as a deep lush chorus effect, as clean signal is mixed with the effected signal)> Loop A of LS-2 Return >||< Loop B of LS-2 Send> XVive V6 Phaser King> Loop B of LS-2 Return (when phaser is not activated Loop B functions as empty parallel clean effects loop, with the effect/clean mix ratio set at about 60/40) }= / Bypass> Output of LS-2> Zoom G1Xon (always on subtle plate reverb, as well as other reverb and delay effects)> Harley Benton American Sound (relabeled Joyo, always on preamp)> Artec SE-EQ8 Graphic EQ (8 band graphic equalizer, always on)

>> Peavey Solo Special 112

>> Supreme TU-97 (tube condenser microphone)> Behringer Tube Ultragain Mic 100 (tube preamp)> Edirol FireWire FA-101 (audio interface)> Reaper (DAW)

Note that my guitar really need new strings, they are a bit dead.

And I suppose I should add it's all finger picking.

I also removed the logos from the amp:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020