NAD! Randall Diavlo RD1... Only 1 Watt but it's a heavy watt...

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Chuteboxehero, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

I love low wattage tube amps. I mostly play in a small room so really anything over 10w that doesn't have a solid master volume or attenuation is too much amp for me. That being said, I also love the high gain heavy stuff every now and then and it's rare to find that in a lower wattage amp. I've had my eye on one of these for a while and GC recently put them on clearance at almost half off so I figured I'd give it a shot. 2 12AX7'S and 1 12AU7 for a total of 1W running into a 1x12 open back cab with a Vintage 30. Not a lot of clean headroom but that's not the point of this amp. It has a 3 position tone stack shift toggle that gives you 3 usable settings ranging from vintage to lead, as well as gain, volume and tone knob. What surprised me the most is the mild to moderate gain and how well it's does both. High gain sounds incredible but that's what this amp is meant for. But it also does the edge of break-up and a more moderate gain really well. The combo version came with an 8" Randall designed speaker and I would avoid those because you will be missing out on most of what this little amp can do running it through anything smaller than a 10". I'd recommend a 1x12. Also should mention putting a decent OD or boost pedal in front of this amp sets it off nicely. Has an FX loop around back as well as an XLR out and speaker emulation to record direct. Lots of bang for your buck.
    [​IMG]
    Edit: Borrowed this pic from the internet. The pic on my phone was terrible. Same amp bit with a lighter gray wrap.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    papagayo likes this.
  2. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Hmmm interesting thanks!

Theres some decent attenuators these days that go between amp out and speaker in ( i have 2 bugera attens now ) in the 100 dollar range.

3. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

This is a coll ampifier, I' m looking to the Bugera T5 Infinium, 5 Watts tube amplifier :

Temp 4594.JPG

4. Chuteboxehero

If you were to run an attenuator between say a 20w or 50w head and a cab, can you still get decent tone from the amp running at a comfortable volume in a smallish room? I've considered going that route in order to try some of the larger amps that I think I would like. So far I've stuck to the small versions of larger amps. I'm still amazed at how awesome this amp sounds given its size.

5. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

Modelling amps like the Vox Valvetronix will operate full fat tone at any volume level. Well worth a look.

6. Chuteboxehero

For a while I was using modeling almost exclusively. I still break out the Helix once in a while run into an FRFR and it sounds good. I've kinda come back around to tube amps again though. I have an AC15 and with the master volume turned down I can get pretty good tone out of it at reasonable volumes but I bet it sounds amazing running wide open like it was meant to.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020