NAD! Supro Delta King 10 5w 1x10 combo.

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Chuteboxehero, Jun 14, 2021.

1. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

I remember seeing these during virtual NAMM earlier this year and thinking they looked interesting. I have a thing for 5w and smaller tube amps. While most are light on features, this has a built in FET boost, separate gain channel, very usable 2 channel EQ, a master volume and a legit Ruby spring reverb. Overall I'm very impressed. The 10" speaker sounds great. Plenty of volume and enough headroom to be able to play clean almost at full volume. Changing to the gain channel with or without the boost on can go from edge of break up to full blown meltdown. It also sounds great running a tube screamer into the front. The only drawback I've found has to do with the reverb. Playing clean it sounds incredible. Increase the gain and with the reverb set any higher than 5ish, it will start to oscillate and feedback when playing single notes on the low E. Not sure if it's an issue with the tank mounting but I've listened to a few demos that were heavy on the overdrive and reverb and didn't notice this happening. Besides that, I'm very happy with this one. And as a bonus, I think it looks incredible too. Definitely worth checking out if you're in the market for something in this size. I believe it also comes as a 1w 1x8 and a 15w 1x12.
    [​IMG]

No Talent likes this.
  2. No Talent

No Talent New Member

Very nice! I like it in white.

I was considering selling my Marshall Origin 20C and buying this or another similar 5 watt amp. The problem with the Marshall is that I either need to use a pedal for overdrive, or it is loud as heck to get there.

Is the Supro capable of a loud TV volume level of light to medium overdrive with the built in options or would it still require a pedal? If it requires a pedal I may as well keep what I have.

3. Chuteboxehero

Funny you mention the Marshall Origin... I actually returned a Origin 5w 1x8 when I picked this one up. Had the same issues with that amp as you describe. The Supro having a master volume can go anywhere from light to super saturated overdrive at pretty much any volume with the built in boost and gain switches without the need of an additional OD pedal. Overall it's a fantastic amp. I'm just not loving the reverb issue I'm having. Clean it sounds fantastic. As soon as it gets dirty, the reverb starts acting up. I'm considering either getting another reverb pedal to eliminate the on board spring tank, which would be a shame, or replacing the tank with a different model.

No Talent likes this.
  4. No Talent

No Talent New Member

Thanks! Sounds like I will need to test drive the Supro at my local guitar store to confirm I like the sounds coming from it. All the videos I have watched online I like it a lot so far.

The Marshall Origin 20c does have separate master and gain volume controls, and 3 different power/attenuator settings but I find it needs to be way louder than I like even on the lowest wattage setting to get a good overdrive sound. I've owned a few 5 watt or lower amps in the past and they never seemed as loud as the Marshall Origin 20c on the 3 watt setting.

The reverb seems to be the weak spot in the Supro Delta King amps. What you say above matches what a majority of owners have said about the reverb on the amp.

5. Chuteboxehero

Ahh ok didn't realize the 20w had a master. The 5 didn't. So after playing through it for a few more days, the reverb issue became a deal breaker for me. It was one of the main reasons I picked up that amp in the first place. It was a great sounding clean amp with reverb and the overdrive was fine too without the verb. I ended up picking up the Tone Master Deluxe Reverb. Had the Twin version when it first came out but it was a little too much amp for me but the Deluxe is much more manageable. And it sounds fantastic.

No Talent likes this.