NAD! Vox AC-4

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Chuteboxehero, May 31, 2020.

1. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

I've been looking into an AC-10 for a while, haven't been able to sit down and play one till recently. Went to pick one up today and found this guy instead. Actually a much better setup for me having less wattage and larger speaker than the AC-10. So it's the AC-4 HW1, hand wired with a 12" Greenback. Sounds as good as it looks. Can't stop playing it. Love this one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

Nice score, HNAD! :thumb:

Chuteboxehero likes this.
  3. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

The Greenback does it for me. I love the sound of those things. Not harsh, not dull, just right.

4. Chuteboxehero

It really is the perfect speaker for this amp. It has such a smooth clean tone. Great pairing. I'm happy to say it breaks up nicely too, especially with the hot switch on. Also takes an overdrive pedal nicely too.

rocknrollmouse likes this.
  5. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Very nice.
    Get a cover for it. VOX sells some nice, affordable amp covers for their amps of various sizes.

6. Chuteboxehero

Actually it should have come with one. And a foot switch... I'll have to stop back and see if they floating around the backroom somewhere. It was technically used but damn near in new condition so I don't know if the original owner traded it in with everything.

7. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

You sure about the footswitch?

I have the blue Top Boost AC4...bought it brand new first day they came out. No cover, no footswitch came with it. It makes sense that it came with neither. VOX would want you to spend more on a further purchase of a cover. And a footswitch? What exactly would the footswitch do with these amps? They are one channel with no effects. Footswitches aren't necessary.

Here's my blue Top Boost AC4. I bought it because I have a lot of blue gear:

[​IMG]

And here's the cover I bought for it. I think they are still out there if you search the net.

[​IMG]

football27 likes this.
  8. Chuteboxehero

Nice amp! Looks good in blue... The foot switch controls the Cool/Hot switch which basically doubles the gain and bypasses the tone circuit.The hand wired series originally came with the foot switch and matching cover. Not too worried about either but it would be nice to switch hot mode on remotely. It's pretty drastic in this amp. Almost like putting a tube screamer in front of it.

9. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

A foot switch is a piece of cake to make if you don't have one.

10. Chuteboxehero

I have one from my Blackstar 5 watter that I think would work. Now the hard part... finding a decent sounding reverb pedal. The only downside to this amp... No built in reverb. I need a little reverb.

11. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

Ah.
    My VOX AC30 came with a footswitch, as did my Jazz Chorus, and my Fender Princeton. Apart from doing that Nirvana soft to loud stuff, I have never used the footswitches.

The handwired VOX amps are their top of the line models. I can understand that line coming with extra swag like a cover.

To be honest, my little VOX amp is just that - a little VOX amp. It gives me that classic Top Boost tone...but it gives it to me small. It is definitely an overpriced amp for what it gives. My VOX Pathfinder 15R at just 99 bucks brand new I actually enjoy more (it has tremolo and is loud as hell).

Good luck with your amp. It sure is a cool looking amp and I guess the 12" speaker in it will make the difference. My Top Boost AC4 has a 10.

12. Chuteboxehero

Gotcha. So they have made a few versions of the AC-4. All around awesome amp. Agree on being overpriced... This was almost half off what they went for new so it wasn't terrible but to be completely honest, my favorite amp is still my Blackstar HT5R mk1 that I paid just over $200 for. Granted I swapped out the stock speaker with a Vintage 30 but still, it's an impressive little amp. It does everything well. Where as this Vox does the Vox thing really well and my Twin does its thing really well. That Blackstar can take any guitar and any pedal and it always sounds good.

13. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

The BOSS RV-5 or RV-6 is the way to go. I have both because they are sooooo good. Fantastic choices of reverb (plate, spring, room...) that all sound wonderful, plus you get this incredible MODULATE, SHIMMER, and DELAY options. You haven't lived until you hear the SHIMMER mode.

I know some people are against BOSS pedals (I guess they think BOSS is some nasty corporate entity like Starbucks or something), but those BOSS Reverb pedals I mentioned are outstanding. So may features, all of them useable and fantastic.

[​IMG]

However for a cheaper, no-nonsense just step on it and go reverb pedal, I bought myself the NANO Holy Grail. Few knobs and options, no opportunity to think about things - just step on it. The reverb is glorious.

[​IMG]

Chuteboxehero likes this.
  14. Chuteboxehero

You know I love Boss pedals and have owned a bunch going back to the mid 90s but I've never seen or heard a Boss reverb. Plenty of DD delays and every OD, distortion and modulation pedal they've made but never a reverb. I'll definitely check those 2 out. I really like the idea of the Holy Grail. One knob just like amp reverb. I think a basic spring type fender-esque reverb would do just fine. I usually run a Helix into a FRFR amp when I want to get crazy with effects and that does them all pretty well. Just need that one reverb pedal for this amp in particular. Thankfully Sam Ash is open around here so I can actually try some of these out. Thanks again for the input. I do appreciate it.

15. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member