NBD

Bettyboo

Reaction score
I bought a cheap ($140) Harley Benton bass as a first bass and have been really enjoying the dark side. So, I started to look for another bass and several esteemed members here pointed me in the direction of an Ibanez SR series.

It seems that the SR series from SR500 to SR800 are pretty similar excluding body wood, so I was up for anything that's lefthanded. I like the SR600ntl in ash, and they come lefthanded, but not here in Korea... &, buying it, delivery to Korea, import tax at 20% was likely to take the cost up to $1000 which was too much for me...

preview.jpg

http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/DISC-Ibanez-SR600-Bass-Guitar-Left-Hand-Natural-Flat/GI3

A couple of weeks ago, I came across an ebay auction which seemed to be weirdly mistitled, and up for 400 euros with 35 euro delivery from Switzerland - after a week of waiting, I was the only viewer/bidder and it was on its way to me. Over $400 (total cost including delivery) attracts 20% import tax, but the seller agreed to help me out there, so the total price was 435 Euros or $489. Not cheap, but a good price... here's the Ibanez link:

http://www.ibanez.com/products/eb_d...&cat_id=2&series_id=51&data_id=146&color=CL01

Nice and light, good quality active preamp, nice pickups, good bridge and tuning pegs, good neck, etc.

Here she is:

Ibanez1.jpg

Ibanez2.jpg

First inspection is that she's well put together, light, but not too light, and my initial look didn't find any defects/issues.

Bettyboo

Reaction score
Nice neck and inlays:

Ibanez3.jpg

Five piece Jatoba/Bubinga neck:

Ibanez4.jpg

The tuners are great; really smooth and accurate - I haven't felt smoother tuners:

Ibanez5.jpg

Ibanez6.jpg

The bridge is supposed to be decent too (I don't know much about bass bridges...):

Ibanez7.jpg

Bettyboo

Reaction score
Here are a few pictures alongside the Jazz bass for perspective:

Ibanez8.jpg

Ibanez9.jpg

Ibanez10.jpg

The ibanez is lighter and more comfortable to hold. Upon first play, the sound is fuller, bigger, louder, etc, and the preamp is very nice - I especially enjoyed giving a little bit more from the active bass. There are a wide variety of sounds here...

I will report back on the playability...

Bettyboo

Reaction score
Yeah, I like ash too - this is a very satiny finish; no shine anywhere.

So, the action was too high, but very easy to adjust the action (haven't touched the truss rod yet, might do so when I've played a bit more). The bass does dictate a different style of play compared to the jazz bass, for example: when I'm playing down into the bridge, down into the 24th fret, I feel like an 80s hairband because the headstock is pointing up to the sky...

Steel-Panther-14.jpg

Gahr

Reaction score
Congrats, Bettyboo. Looks good! Very sleek looking bass. How are your lessons and your band coming along?

Bettyboo

Reaction score
Thanks, Gahr.

I'm improving quite well, and band practice on Saturday (first time we've all got together), so I'd better get practicing the first couple of songs that've been written. The bass parts haven't been written, so I'm trying to do some simple triad type stuff around the guitar chords just to help give the songs a tad more width and depth. Of course, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, but... :fingersx:

Gahr

Reaction score
Sounds cool. Playing together with others is a blast. Do you play any covers, or are you playing only originals right away?

Bettyboo

Reaction score
Do you play any covers, or are you playing only originals right away?

The two guitarists are song writers, but it has been agreed that we'll all also introduce a couple of covers we like to play. Seems as these two have nice bass parts which are easy, these are my cover choices:

Gahr

Reaction score
Ah! I don't know too much of Faith No More's stuff, but Cream, now there's a great band!

Bettyboo

Reaction score
& the bass parts are very much easier to play than the guitar parts! :D

Faith No More had a couple of albums which played really well in the clubs back in the errrr late 80s and 90s.

JohnnyGoo

Reaction score
Nice Bass Boo congrats. that Jazz bass looks like its heavy.Love the early Cream stuff. i.learned the guitar part to that song but ive forgot alot of it.

Bettyboo

Reaction score
Thanks, JG. The jazz bass is heavy, but it still plays nicely. I've been back and forwards playing them both over the last hours, and the Harley Benton stands up well to an expensive guitar that's highly rated by many folks - the jazz bass is great value.

Back to the Ibanez - the build quality is excellent; it feels to me, significantly better than my Fender Japan tele (which was a nicely made $800+ guitar). The nut is perfectly cut. The bridge feels really solid and functional. The bass is very simply to set up and just feel confident messing around with. The MOP inlays are really nice. The neck fits the body perfectly and the join looks great. The tuners are excellent. The frets are well set, but not rolled or anything at the sides - that's part of the next range up in the SR series... The bass is easy to play and sounds good. After 3 hours of playing both, kinda 30-40 minute stints with small breaks inbetween, I don't feel any hand, arm, finger aches or anything. Both basses are nice; the HB feels made to a price, but made well to that price; the Ibanez feels just a better quality instrument and familiar in the hands already which must be a sign of a good players instrument?

Thus, even though I wasn't blown away when I got the Ibanez out of the box, it feels like a good choice, so thanks to the folks that kicked me in that direction.

:dude::dude::dude:

Last edited:

JohnnyGoo

Reaction score
you mess with the action higth yet ?? tune it to pitch you play in and check the neck relief first. Every Ibanez ive seen or played was good quality and well made.i bought a Ibanez Lawsuit era 335 Artcore copy in natural maple when they first come out.was perfect right out of the box.sold it to a friend and have been kicking myself in the ass ever since.

syscokid

Reaction score
...i bought a Ibanez Lawsuit era 335 Artcore copy in natural maple when they first come out.was perfect right out of the box.sold it to a friend and have been kicking myself in the ass ever since.
Your ass has probably developed some pretty good calluses by now. I would love to have one of those!

JohnnyGoo

Reaction score
lol yes,its one of those guitars that was a keeper.it was outstanding quality. really regret selling that one.

Bettyboo

Reaction score
you mess with the action higth yet ??

Yes, very easy to do with the provided allen key (came with three; action, intonation and truss rod). This bass also comes with a cool truss rod cover that you can open with a pick, no screws.

openable-truss-rod-cover-for-ibanez-artcore-sr-shape-reverse-headstock-models-4pt3xa0005-4pt3xa0005_0.jpg

Every Ibanez ive seen or played was good quality and well made.

I have a really nice acoustic Ibanez AW400 which is amazing bang for buck.

211X-01CD150918528-angle-large.jpg

But, I got an Ibanez electro-acoustic uke for the missus which didn't sound particularly good unplugged (sounded very nice plugged in), and I had a cheap Ibanez GioRG which must've been a Friday afternoon guitar because it was poorly put together - easy enough to fix and a great neck, but has a very poorly designed floating trem that cannot stay in tune.

But, yeah; Ibanez make some excellent guitars and basses.

Also, e.S.G. will be happy because I've ordered up one of these:

fly-3-bass-top-view-large.jpg

eS.G.

Reaction score
Dude.I am VERY happy with your selections---I LOVE the "low end" Ibanez bass line----I spend most my time in GC playing them over all the HIGH end HIGH DOLLAR offerings......they just make a SOLID functioning LOUD bass with TONS of grunt.
The HB you have -----is amazing I have gazed LONGLY at those on the Thomann site many times......

ANd funy you snagged the little bass fly----I am curious to see what you think.....I love my Hartke but at times......I think it would be nice to NOT vibrate walls while practicing scales etc........ I HAD a guitar FLY at one point......would love your opnion on the new little nipper.
ALMOST picked up an 80's era 30 watt Gorilla bass amp at a pawn shop the other day still might they had it for 39.00 ---bet I could snag it for 20 lol

Congrats on your assimilation into the dark arts. Welcome -----let the darkness embrace you......BOOM BOOM out go the lights!

I give your Bass rigs the eS.G. seal of APPROVAL!

Latest posts