NBD

WavMixer

Reaction score
The two guitarists are song writers, but it has been agreed that we'll all also introduce a couple of covers we like to play. Seems as these two have nice bass parts which are easy, these are my cover choices:

Sunshine of Your Love was the first song I ever learned to play, followed by Down on the Corner and Inagadadavida.

Bettyboo

Reaction score
I LOVE the "low end" Ibanez bass line----I spend most my time in GC playing them over all the HIGH end HIGH DOLLAR offerings......they just make a SOLID functioning LOUD bass with TONS of grunt.
The HB you have -----is amazing I have gazed LONGLY at those on the Thomann site many times......

The Ibanez is nicely load and grunts well, 'tis true. :naughty:

I HAD a guitar FLY at one point

Yeah, I remember, and I'm surprised you sold it. I sold mine too which I regret. These Fly's are great little amps; perfect for playing the electric with mates playing their acoustics, for example, or just noodling at home at low volume, late at night, etc. I'll be interested to see how the 3w Blackstar compares to the 15w Laney. I like the Laney, but am kinda thinking it's a tad redundant once the Fly Bass arrives, and maybe I should've got a larger wattage Laney...

eS.G.

Reaction score
Well......you could always go LARGE bass amp now ------ really VIBRATE THE WALLS
I recently had to solidly "fix" all the pictures in my office-----they would vibrate and rattle (glass in frames) on level 3 with the hartke........when I go to 6 I can blow A CHIHUAHUA across the room!

I want Sp8ctres 1000 watt Bugera------then Ic an blow one of the 120 lbs across the room!!!!!! :dude:

Bettyboo

Reaction score
^ :facepalm:

The wife would kill me. She arrived back on Monday and found two addition guitars in my collection - she was not a happy bunny...

For no particular reason other than it came to mind, and I think it's funny:

Reactions: RVA

Bettyboo

Reaction score
I love a Randall meself, but not quite as portable as the Fly Bass, so it depends on why you want it.

&, Tractor Boy is hilarious... :D

Bettyboo

Reaction score
^ good stuff, I like your style. &, in tribute:

monica-bellucci_1029712.jpg

:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

I've been getting along well with the bass, but due to my terrible technique no doubt I seem to stick to the bloody strings, so when I move to the next string with this sensitive pickups the notes are very messy and ugly. For the last three hours I've been using one finger per string technique, it's a bit weird, not sure it'll be good for speed work (might be), it makes me bloody strumming hand ache lots, but it's very clean as I'm physically muting all four strings all the time when I'm not playing... :hmm:

Dave_Death

Reaction score
Nice bass. That youtube video was weird. Look up 'poontos' on vimeo, that might give you some tips on how to get your wife's mind off your purchases, ha ha (don't do it at work or in front of the vicar, though)

Col Mustard

Reaction score
I've been getting along well with the bass, but due to my terrible technique no doubt I seem to stick to the bloody strings, so when I move to the next string with this sensitive pickups the notes are very messy and ugly. :hmm:

Sounds like it's time for new strings. Hear your bass come alive...
onstage2012.jpg

Bettyboo

Reaction score
^ no pick! &, my right hand's fretting... :D

Thanks for the video, I am working on my right hand (actually, MY, left hand) technique...

Actually, I've seen the fella on that vid before and don't much like him. He starts off by saying that you MUST, no excuses, MUST use alternate picking up and down or else you'll never get any speed - that's bolloks. I can understand that alternate picking is a good skill to master, and I work on that, but watched the cream video yesterday where the bassist was explaining how he developed some of his techniques, and he does amazing speed with one finger in a sitar-esque style.

Heket

Reaction score
I've been getting along well with the bass, but due to my terrible technique no doubt I seem to stick to the bloody strings, so when I move to the next string with this sensitive pickups the notes are very messy and ugly. For the last three hours I've been using one finger per string technique, it's a bit weird, not sure it'll be good for speed work (might be), it makes me bloody strumming hand ache lots, but it's very clean as I'm physically muting all four strings all the time when I'm not playing... :hmm:

Try floating anchor instead. If your thumb is anchored on the pickup then get it off and anchor on the next string up from where you're playing. So if you're playing on the D string then your thumb will anchor on the A string. Then you have to make sure it's leaning back far enough for the body of the thumb to be touching the E string.

Combine that with fretting hand muting for any strings under where you're playing i.e. the G string in my example. It should be easy enough to angle your fingers back slightly while playing to mute those strings, although make sure not to let your knuckles collapse.

Check out this video of right hand muting techniques (sorry, you'll have to mirror it!):

Bettyboo

Reaction score
Nice to see you here, Heket.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will be working on it today. :D

I don't put my thumb on the pickup, but I do tend to leave it on the bottom string. I was watching Jack Bruce, and noticed that he sometimes uses the technique you suggested. I reckon my A-string is the noisiest (least clean), so your explanation makes good sense, thanks.

I watched some fella, can't remember his name, but supposed to be a top bassist, and he was saying he strums over the pickups to keep his strokes consistent, so I've been trying that too (but not with the thumb).

Heket

Reaction score
I'm good thanks, eS.G. :) Busy in bassland and even managed to land myself a sort of related job in an online community. Still have the SG in my picture though, and it's still my darling. I bought it this time 4 years ago!

Nice to see you here, Heket.

Thanks for the suggestion, I will be working on it today. :D

I don't put my thumb on the pickup, but I do tend to leave it on the bottom string. I was watching Jack Bruce, and noticed that he sometimes uses the technique you suggested. I reckon my A-string is the noisiest (least clean), so your explanation makes good sense, thanks.

I watched some fella, can't remember his name, but supposed to be a top bassist, and he was saying he strums over the pickups to keep his strokes consistent, so I've been trying that too (but not with the thumb).

Thanks, I like to pop in and look at any bass posts :)

That's cool, I just mentioned the pickup thing because that's what a lot of people with muting issues do. It's nice and comfy anchoring in one place, but I forced myself to learn floating anchor, and later floating thumb, because my muting was terrible, and muting the strings above those that I'm playing with the fretting hand seemed like too much thinking for me.

Bass strings can be kinda rough though, and there is a fair amount of string noise going on if you're playing with no other instruments at volume and with hot pickups. You can try turning down the treble a bit to take the edge of the string noise too. Good idea to use the pickup as a reference to keep things consistent, but also be aware that you can change your tone drastically, to the point where it sounds like the difference between an neck and a bridge pickup, just by changing where you pluck! It's a handy trick if you don't have time to fiddle with switches or if you end up with a single pickup bass.

eS.G.

Reaction score
Glad you are doing well. Congrats on the Online community gig.

I have just about gone totally to the darkside myself.....but still have my SG and my "select" 6 string critters.

donepearce

Reaction score
London, new hearing aid project - exciting
I'm good thanks, eS.G. :) Busy in bassland and even managed to land myself a sort of related job in an online community. Still have the SG in my picture though, and it's still my darling. I bought it this time 4 years ago!

Thanks, I like to pop in and look at any bass posts :)

That's cool, I just mentioned the pickup thing because that's what a lot of people with muting issues do. It's nice and comfy anchoring in one place, but I forced myself to learn floating anchor, and later floating thumb, because my muting was terrible, and muting the strings above those that I'm playing with the fretting hand seemed like too much thinking for me.

Bass strings can be kinda rough though, and there is a fair amount of string noise going on if you're playing with no other instruments at volume and with hot pickups. You can try turning down the treble a bit to take the edge of the string noise too. Good idea to use the pickup as a reference to keep things consistent, but also be aware that you can change your tone drastically, to the point where it sounds like the difference between an neck and a bridge pickup, just by changing where you pluck! It's a handy trick if you don't have time to fiddle with switches or if you end up with a single pickup bass.

Hey you - nice to see you here. Don't worry about string noise; your fellow bass-lady Tal plays with masses of string noise and it isn't a problem, just a part of her sound. I play a bit of bass, but I don't practice anything like enough to play cleanly - my noises are usually pull-off sounds.

But it is great to know that you are playing at all - either the hands aren't too bad or you have found a way to work around them?

Latest posts