NBD

Heket

Reaction score
But it is great to know that you are playing at all - either the hands aren't too bad or you have found a way to work around them?

It depends on the time of year, I've just recently had my yearly arthritis medication so I'm feeling pretty good and playing the P-bass a lot. But I can still play bass even when my arthritis is playing up these days, thanks to the inspired idea from Kala, the ukuele manufacturer. The U-bass is tiny (21" scale) and at such a short scale the strings need to be thick, but low tension. It's very easy to play, if somewhat limited in its tones and range.

Pull-off sounds! When I first started playing I had those and it drove me bananas, but as I slowly got used the the instrument they disappeared. I'm not even sure why and how I stopped them, but I did.

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
Heket, I am fearing my right index finger is getting arhtritis in the joint up by the nail. I once almost possibly could have cut that whole end of my finger off from a log splitter one time but got lucky. The end result turned out to be 4 stitches and a permanent lump of scar tissue right on top of the joint.

eS.G.

Reaction score
No clearly states MIC and the serial number ---trackable to Squire 2013 model...
On BACK of the Headstock
I just do it because I can........

This is my "keeper" strat anyway.....so----just for me ;)

Bettyboo

Reaction score
^ that's terrible, RVA! :D Throw that BMW sticker away and replace it with one of these:

DSC04513.JPG

Coming back to this post, as I've been trying stuff for a few days, and thus I can better comment on it now.

That's cool, I just mentioned the pickup thing because that's what a lot of people with muting issues do. It's nice and comfy anchoring in one place, but I forced myself to learn floating anchor, and later floating thumb, because my muting was terrible, and muting the strings above those that I'm playing with the fretting hand seemed like too much thinking for me.

That makes good sense. The floating anchor on the bottom two strings is a good 'un, and I'm getting on with that. Not sure about the floating thumb (or using the little two fingers to mute, as per the second suggestion in the vid you posted), but I'm giving them ago, and as per the fella on that video, it seems that I'm coming out with a kinda hybrid that feels comfy. For example, my thumb anchors at an angle, so never rests on the pu.

Bass strings can be kinda rough though, and there is a fair amount of string noise going on if you're playing with no other instruments at volume and with hot pickups. You can try turning down the treble a bit to take the edge of the string noise too.

Good point. It can sound terrible when I'm practicing alone and trying to build up speed on complex (to me) arpeggios. But, when playing in a group, much of my bad technique is 'hidden'. :D Still wanna improve technique though, as the other players are very good, so I don't wanna let them down.

Another point which relates is that playing in a group is much more manageable because you're doing smaller and select stuff, so you alter technique to match that song. For example, a couple of tunes the guys wrote had the bass on the bottom two strings, so I can kinda rest me little finger on the top two strings anchor the thumb on the bottom string (also plucking with the thumb much of the time), and we're golden with those tunes. Doing other tunes, you just change to that tune, so we're doing an Undertones cover, and I'm just being messy on the bottom string - punk style. We're doing Sunshine of my Love, and that takes much more muting care and practice, so I hope the floating thumb and/or anchored thumb will get that right - having problems with the solo though... :ohno:

Good idea to use the pickup as a reference to keep things consistent, but also be aware that you can change your tone drastically

I hadn't really thought about that, I will give it a go. I know that it makes a massive difference with an acoustic, but had gotten into the habit of anchoring close to the neck and playing over the neck pu - I'll move my hand to the bridge pu and see how that sounds.

I find this fella really good for intro videos because he explains/demonstrates everything very clearly:

Trying to skip in thirds at 80/100/120 bpm plucking triplets/eighths (but different beats on different strings) moving all around the fretboard is my current practice, and I find it really useful for warming up and developing speed, knowledge of the fretboard, accuracy, etc.

Lastly, sorry to go on..., I had my first proper rehearsal the other day and was pathetically nervous, but it went very nicely and I kinda grew into the rehearsal. Playing with others is defo the way to go - being crap, I started just hitting the opening beat per bar then as I watched and listened to the guitarists then added in a few more notes; keeping it simple but trying to fill the space for them without doing anything too brave... To all beginners and scaredy-cats like me, I'd suggest going this route; after a couple of hours playing together, my playing had context and thus my technique seemed to up its game accordingly. :shock:

Last edited:

Col Mustard

Reaction score
yes, I like that instructor... he explains clearly and shows
it right. good idea. thanks for posting.

and something else too: It's not enough to just buy a new instrument.
if you settle in and learn something on it, you've increased its value much
more than replacing pickups or other stuff-oriented activities.

My experience is that the bass provides an interface between the percussion
and the chord changes when the song gets played in practice. once you know
the song, you can take your place in the arrangement seamlessly, which is the
ideal. we call that getting "in the pocket."

sounds like you're on your way.

Bettyboo

Reaction score
Thanks Col, good points.

For whatever reason, I'm feeling far more comfortable on the bass (both of them) then I ever did on guitar. But, also hoping my improved musical knowledge, technique and confidence will work on the guitar too.

Onwards to the Dorian scale... :hmm:

eS.G.

Reaction score
Thanks Col, good points.

For whatever reason, I'm feeling far more comfortable on the bass (both of them) then I ever did on guitar. But, also hoping my improved musical knowledge, technique and confidence will work on the guitar too.

Onwards to the Dorian scale... :hmm:

EMBRACE THE BASS Boo! I have bounced back and forth for decades myself but I too maybe need to accept-----I am more comfortable on the dark side. :dude:

DFLCC

Reaction score
I have been a Fender Jazz Bass player for decades, but a few years ago I switch to Ibanez SR370s and never looked back. The light weight, active EQ, playability, ergonomics and economy is insane, no sacrifice of quality either. They have a very wide range of tone and it is all controllable at the bass.

Good choice Betty, and great deal IMHO.

Bettyboo

Reaction score
Thanks, DFLCC - and the Ibanez SR range, as supported by many members here, do seem like excellent basses.

Heket

Reaction score
Lastly, sorry to go on..., I had my first proper rehearsal the other day and was pathetically nervous, but it went very nicely and I kinda grew into the rehearsal. Playing with others is defo the way to go - being crap, I started just hitting the opening beat per bar then as I watched and listened to the guitarists then added in a few more notes; keeping it simple but trying to fill the space for them without doing anything too brave... To all beginners and scaredy-cats like me, I'd suggest going this route; after a couple of hours playing together, my playing had context and thus my technique seemed to up its game accordingly. :shock:

That's the way to go! Start lying the foundation, then work up when you're ready. There are not many people who will complain about being given root notes at the right time.

An interesting way to think of bass fundamentals is this: guitarists play chords, but bassists play chords too - just one note at a time ;)
(i.e. arpeggios)

Bettyboo

Reaction score
I want Sp8ctres 1000 watt Bugera

Sooooooo tempting; but the missus really is at the end of her tether; had to sell the guitar amps and many pedals; she wants the Ibanez acoustic to go too. I'll probably end of with the two basses, Betty (the SG sounds surprisingly good through the Laney bass amp), two small bass amps and a preamp/DI box of some sort.

Try floating anchor

I am coming to terms with this (a bit now). It does feel comfy, just need to work on the movement such as from thumb on the pickup to thumb on the E-string. Previously, I was just leaving the thumb to play the notes on the E-string, but actually forefinger and middle hitting the E-string usually provide better tone (more balanced if your going between similar notes on different strings), so that's what pushed me to including the pickup as a point for the floating anchor. A nice easy song to work on this is (not using the pick...):

I'm trying to learn the band songs, work on technique and learn another couple of songs a week that I like that the band members like too. This week, the above Pixies tune and trying to get into the Cream solo are the objectives... :shock:

Combine that with fretting hand muting for any strings under where you're playing i.e. the G string in my example.

Yeah, that's making increasingly good sense. Often, with the floating anchor and using the thumb as the pivot point, I can control the E-string and A-string, so muting with the fretting hand on the D-string and G-string keeps it clean.

An interesting way to think of bass fundamentals is this: guitarists play chords, but bassists play chords too - just one note at a time ;)
(i.e. arpeggios)

Yep, I'm trying to develop that idea over the next few weeks.

Thanks Heket.

I came across this video and thought some of youse may like it:

Bettyboo

Reaction score
The HB you have -----is amazing I have gazed LONGLY at those on the Thomann site many times......

Just to add to this thought: much as I like the Ibanez and enjoy playing it, I play the $150 HB jazz bass equally as often and very much enjoy it. Just playing the Pixies on it, using Hesket's floating anchor, the cheap jazz bass sounds great and feels so easy to play too. It really is superb value.

If I were a righthanded player needing a cheap jazz bass, I'd be all over these two:

325972.jpg

304930.jpg

https://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir.html?oa=prd&sw=Harley Benton JB

Nothing needs changing on these, the hardware and electronics are great (OK, the nut could've been cut better, but that's the only fault I can find with these $150 basses).

&, I'm not fond of cheap gear because you usually get what you pay for - not in this case; they're amazing value.

Last edited:

Gahr

Reaction score
Sooooooo tempting; but the missus really is at the end of her tether; had to sell the guitar amps and many pedals; she wants the Ibanez acoustic to go too. I'll probably end of with the two basses, Betty (the SG sounds surprisingly good through the Laney bass amp), two small bass amps and a preamp/DI box of some sort.

You sold the Laney guitar amp?