Neck Confusion on SG

Larry

Reaction score
Lawn Giland, New Yawk (as we natives call it)
My Silverburst SG is supposed to have the 60's slim taper neck......yet, the SG neck is fatter than my friends Les Paul with the 50's fat neck (we actually measured it and there is a 1/8 th difference)

So, is the 60's slim taper fatter than the 50's fat neck, or is there another type of 60's neck besides the slim taper??

everdying

Reaction score
looks like someone somewhere made a boo boo :p

Ponec

Reaction score
[quote author=Larry link=topic=14955.msg192728#msg192728 date=1189432997]
My Silverburst SG is supposed to have the 60's slim taper neck......yet, the SG neck is fatter than my friends Les Paul with the 50's fat neck (we actually measured it and there is a 1/8 th difference)

So, is the 60's slim taper fatter than the 50's fat neck, or is there another type of 60's neck besides the slim taper??

[/quote]

Is your Silverburst one of the GOTW 400? If so, that is a Standard and has the Standard neck not the 60's "slim taper". I am not sure where you would have gotten the idea that it was the slim taper (if indeed it is a GOTW model. Otherwise, ignore this ;) ).

-Ron

NeoConMan

Reaction score
:iamwithstupid:

Um, yeah. What he said.
I don't see how there can be enough variation to have the profiles actually overlap.

I've had the Slim Taper on 6 1/2 guitars, and the normal rounded on 4 others.
The difference is more substantial than some would believe.
Seems like alot more than a few thousandths of an inch would indicate.

TNT

Reaction score
A real '60s SG Slim taper had a 1 1/2" - 1 9/16" nut. Narrow like a broom handle. The closest neck that I've found to that shape was on a Gretsch '62 Duojet RI but I haven't tried a modern "'60s" neck.

Larry

Reaction score
Lawn Giland, New Yawk (as we natives call it)
[quote author=Ponec link=topic=14955.msg192751#msg192751 date=1189458300]
Is your Silverburst one of the GOTW 400? If so, that is a Standard and has the Standard neck not the 60's "slim taper". I am not sure where you would have gotten the idea that it was the slim taper (if indeed it is a GOTW model. Otherwise, ignore this ;) ).

-Ron

[/quote]

Yup Ron, it's the GOW. I always assumed that all SG's had the 60's slim taper neck. I didn't even know there was a Standard one! How many neck styles does Gibson make??

everdying

Reaction score
yea, the current SG standard necks are FAT, and are 50s rounded.

i've compared them to both a '95 LP std i once had and a '05 LP std both also with 50s necks, and it was fatter than both of them.

Ry-Guy

Reaction score
Still depends.. I have a 96 SG standard that has a thinner neck than most of the 50's style necks Ive seen. Ive also played a few 61 reissu SG or les pauls with 60's necks that seem about the same size.. then again most 60's necks are way thinner.. The Les Paul I have on layaway has a 50's neck but its not anywhere near as thick as the necks on the custom shop 58 reissue Les Pauls...

Heres my point.......

Well... I dont really have a point :D

Ponec

Reaction score
As I understand it, in current production, there are really only three different neck profiles being put on the SGs. The slim '60s on the '61 Reissue and Supremes, the "regular" profile on the Standard, Specials, and Classic, and finally the "girly" ;) one on the "Goddess".

The Standard and the Specials do feel different but I think that is due to the binding on the Standard and Classic. The actual measurements (as I measured them) came out to be the same.

-Ron

Latest posts