Neck Heavy... A Solution ?

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by mr_dj07, Jul 14, 2008.

1. mr_dj07

mr_dj07 Member

Hi all !

Last week I tried out a lot of Gibbys, Xplorer Pro, LP (GOTW)w/ p90s, a CS LP VOS 1958 and of course an SG.

The SG was a 61 reissue, and was my favourite of the lot. The action was incredible, and lovely sound coming from these 57's.

The thing is, I can't stand neck heavy guitars when using a strap, and the SG is, because of it's light body.

Now I thought about it and I remembered that Iommi's SG higher strap button is located on the upper horn right ? Does that solve the problem ?

I'm looking for a real solution, no strap change, like "You can get a sticky strap" or whatever. I beleive that a strap change is not a very good solution, since the neck will still feel heavy and be quite uncomfortable.

Thank you :D!

2. WhiteRaven

WhiteRaven Member

Unfortunately there's no way to solve that other than moving the strap button to a more balanced place (like Iommi did) or adding more weight to the body.

I've personally always wanted to try to make a cover for the electronics cavity out of metal or something and slapping that on there. :)

3. Constellation80

Constellation80 Member

I find if i use a wide accoustic strap, with the skinny end in front. It holds my SG up nicely

4. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

use a counter-weight somewhere.
    cavity, modify back strap pin etc.

or just install a maestro trem.
    that definitely balances the guitar nicely, while looking cooler :p

5. martinw

martinw New Member

I've had several Gibson, and 1 Epi SG, and can honetsly say that none of my Gibby's has been neck heavy.
    The Epi was though.

6. Absynthe

Absynthe Active Member

I had a 61 Reissue which was neck heavy and I now have a Standard which is not.Maybe you should just tryout some other SGs to see if you find something more comfortable.

7. q-4000-SG Guy

q-4000-SG Guy New Member

both my 61RI and 62RI are neck heavy I have 3 specials 2 of them (the SG 400 and the faded) are very well balanced my 07 GOTM SG with the "Mirror' pickguard is very neck heavy but they also took a good amount of wood out of the body for the big pickguard but it is also the lightest and is so light it basically stays put with a standard nylon strap!

8. IommiSG

IommiSG Member

The RI's have the old-style big headstock which tips the scales a bit. Much worse are Iommi's, and, I assume since they have the same 24 fret neck, Supremes.

Every one of Iommi's SG's have the button on the upper horn, and he can take his hands off the neck and it remains in the neck-angled-up position. I think this is the only way to cure this ill. I have no desire to make the guitar heavier, and attaching heavy plates could serve to dampen the resonance of the body. I've tried the 3.5" leather stap on the Iommi. It just drags the shoulder of my shirt down with it.

My RI doesn't bother me near as much as the Iommi. If you decide to do it, keep us up on the procedure you use.

9. q-4000-SG Guy

q-4000-SG Guy New Member

here is a easy cure for ya take the strap hold it against the upper horn duck tape the strap to the horn so the strap comes out of the tip of the horn... NO ballance problem!!! my buddy has a 61ri done like this it holds!!!!! and you wont have to shell out for strap locks!

10. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

There are a number of suggestions that may help you counter balance an SG such as the strap button relocation ...... or duck tape, but I only noticed a problem on the first SG I strapped on. It's balance wasn't like the guitar I had played so it obviously felt neck heavy. A slight adjustment in my normal angle of play and no more problem. (Switching between 6 string and bass helps with this adjustment.) The wider the leather strap is also helps minimize "angle of the dangle" adjustment. Experiment and see what works for you. 8)

11. mr_dj07

mr_dj07 Member

Well thanks a lot guys !

The strap button relocation seems like a pretty dangerous thing to do, I wouldn't want to rip off the horf from that body.

We'll eventually see !

12. saa

saa New Member

13. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

that's fun... (the heads up strap with the pockets for 8 0z weights)
    it's a better solution than the duck tape, unless you play in a group with shoes and straps and drums and amps all held together with duck tape. I've seen one anyway.
    but fifty bucks sounds like a lot.

you'll all laugh to see me playing my 72 tele deluxe RI... I replaced the MIM tuners with
    Grover locking ones but forgot to compare weight, now the Tele is a head diver.
    So I bought a big brass clip eye that weighs almost as much as one of those weights and clipped it to the strap on the back end. I hang my cord from it, it actually looks
    kinda cool... but I think you'd all laugh anyway, knowing what it was for.

prolly the best solution I read on this thread was adding the whammy bar, but I like the idea of this strap too. you could tape the weight on a regular strap with gaffer's tape, and it wouldn't show, or look so punk as the duck tape. good luck...

14. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

That pic was photoshopped, I found the original. :)

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I used to move the strap button too, in a search for an ergonomic playing posture. I did so on the SG Standard I had in the late 80's and it worked for me, very similar to the Iommi method. However I am using the regular strap button location on SG type guitars, but am using neoprene straps that are both slightly elastic and also seem to not want to slide on the shoulder, so that helps.

Something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...18222947&fromMakeTrack=true#ht_500wt_1156

16. lakehaus

lakehaus New Member

[quote author=mr_dj07 link=topic=17390.msg215964#msg215964 date=1216009203]

I'm looking for a real solution, no strap change, like "You can get a sticky strap" or whatever. I beleive that a strap change is not a very good solution, since the neck will still feel heavy and be quite uncomfortable.

Thank you :D!
    [/quote]

The real solution IS the strap. Of course, you can drill another hole in your SG, or hang counter weights off of it. But the beauty of the SG is it's light... why make it heavier?

The strap is designed to support your guitar. Different straps for different guitars. If you have a smooth backed strap, there's little resistance to stabilize the weight as it wants to shift in favor of gravity. Your strap slides on your shoulder with the weight of the neck coaxing it - down goes your neck.

Drill holes if you wanna, hang diver's weights if you must. But since '77 I've simply used a leather strap with the back being 'rough side out'. Sold at most guitar shops. It has just enough resistance to keep the neck where it needs to be. I've gone through about 4 straps in 30+ years on my SG. Nope. No extra holes needed.

17. TNT

TNT Active Member

^Agreed. I do the same thing. Even works with Jrs and I ain't drilling nothin' -'cept for a few holes to mount a sidewayser Vibrola. ;)