Neck joint or laquer cracks? Opinion needed

andryunin

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Desperately need advice from experienced Gibson SG owners.

Just bought online my first ever SG, the 2009 61 reissue. Guitar sounds great, feels great, looks amazing and weight just about 6.3 pounds. But when I carefully examined the neck connection, I got scared.

84b0cb7a-afd5-4805-8d76-254ef29bf24f.jpg 44718961-5aa8-45f6-9090-3a372461e678.jpg 1d116012-e9d6-422f-b408-e85371a4276c.jpg

The seller insists that this is just a lacquer problem, and they examined neck joint, and neck is stable.

I read that lacquer cracks on neck joint is usual for SG, especially 61 reissue. But i also read, sometimes neck is can be unstable and eventually can break.

Does anyone know a method to know for sure if it's a lacquer or wood problem? Can you tell something from photos?

Decadent Dan

Reaction score
The lacquer run that wasn’t completely sanded looks a little off but I suppose it could have been factory. Sometimes it can be indicative of a repair. Did you know about the lacquer cracks before?

B9E938AD-22FB-4852-8E77-02A1048EE923.jpeg

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
The photos don't concern me at all from what I can see. Basically if it doesn't move with light pressure against the neck it is probably fine. If the neck is loose you will see the crack open and close by pressing lightly on the headstock with your fingers.

If the seller says it is just a finish crack, never repaired, and it passes the stability test above I think you will have done about all you can do. Most of the time in my experience a bad neck joint will begin to open up the minute you hit it with a little string tension and only get worse by the time you get it all the way up to standard tune.

Colnago

Reaction score
It looks like it’s had a big enough of a smack along the way to do that to the lacquer.
The joint flexes with temperature and humidity and impacts. If any of those are severe enough it’ll let go.
If it doesn’t make any noises and stays tight when you flex it there isn’t anything to worry about.

plankton

Reaction score
People always say those things are nothing to worry about, but the finish must be cracked there for a reason, and being right at the neck joint I would assume that means there's been some movement, however slight. I have no personal experience with this but personally I would be wary. Did the seller mention the cracks in the listing?

Siamese

Reaction score
Ditto, whether the seller mentioned the cracks in the listing would be nice to know. No way I'd sell a guitar online without being up front about that cracking. Definitely should have been disclosed. Or, were the cracks easily seen in the pictures of the guitar?

I'm not saying the crack is indicative of an unstable neck, but if it was me, it'd be going right back.

Oh, and what the seller says about the crack after the fact is of no value...obvious bias.

laza616

Reaction score
I guess the guitar fell down (luckily the headstock didnt snap off) and this might be the result
There is no way this happened on its own.....
Finish cracks on the nitro from temperature changes or age are different. Also i cant imagine how this could be a result of playing - the only picture in my head in this is a misuse and abusive neck bending
If the seller didnt mention THIS in the ad, ....well, me personally, i would have returned the guitar and demanded my money back or asked for some discount...
If the seller was selling it as a flawless guitar with this secret "feature" , its not a trustworthy seller. No matter if the neck joint is damaged or its just a cosmetic finish crack

andryunin

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the answers!

As far as I can see, neck is not moving when I'm applying slight pressure.

As being advertised, guitar has dings and scratches, but this particular one was not seen on photos. Right now seller agrees on return, which is a good sign, I guess. Now I going to find a luthier to double check neck is stable. If it is, I probably keep it. Not much SG's here, so anyway I will have to buy guitar online, and next time it could be worse.

Sootio

Reaction score
The photos don't concern me at all from what I can see. Basically if it doesn't move with light pressure against the neck it is probably fine. If the neck is loose you will see the crack open and close by pressing lightly on the headstock with your fingers.

If the seller says it is just a finish crack, never repaired, and it passes the stability test above I think you will have done about all you can do. Most of the time in my experience a bad neck joint will begin to open up the minute you hit it with a little string tension and only get worse by the time you get it all the way up to standard tune.
Exactly. String tension alone would pull it open. It's as sound as can be.

Latest posts