Neck shape poll (controversy encouraged)

Discussion in 'General Music' started by Col Mustard, Dec 20, 2015.

?

Is Neck Shape a deal breaker?

Poll closed Jan 19, 2016.
  1. Gotta have slim, or I'm sending it back

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  2. Gotta have chunky, or I'm sending it back

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  3. Gotta have something magic, or I'm sending it back

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. I'm a multi instrumentalist, and for me this is a non issue

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. I can play anything if I practice with it

9 vote(s)
    27.3%
  6. all of the above

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  7. none of the above

3 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

all right... I've been saying for some time now that IMHO
    the human hand can play anything from a double bass to a mandolin
    with no problems.

I've been suggesting that only guitarists feel like a few milimeters of wood make
    a huge difference. and maybe that only self taught electric guitarists feel this way.
    Am I right? Confess!
    When I've given lessons, I've tried to teach my students hand positions that
    negate any 'hand size' problems, and I've done this with success.

Anyway, as a musician who plays electric, acoustic and bass guitars, I read and observe
    peoples' comments on neck shapes with perplexity. So let's add up some numbers here.

I want to see your votes, and to read your explanations. Lay it on me, brothers...

2. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Magic or it ain't me. So there ya have it Col. ;)

Col Mustard and JohnnyGoo like this.
  3. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

i got 12 guitars sad to say and the necks run the guanlet from slim 60s to baseball bats and a tele neck.all though i prefer some over others i play them all.guitar with the best neck you ask ?? this one right here hands down. 2015 Agile AL 3010SE Goldtop 20151214_183430.jpeg

Lynurd Fireburd, zisme and eS.G. like this.
  4. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

uhm........YES. That ;) Heaven and Hell in 1 package eh Johnny???
    BEst kept secret in the industry right there.

JohnnyGoo likes this.
  5. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

6. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Well-Known Member

I answered that it is a non-issue but there are some necks I prefer over others. I prefer middle of the road, not too fat, not too skinny but in the end the neck doesn't matter all that much.

Col Mustard and JohnnyGoo like this.
  7. Madmatt

Madmatt Active Member

I said small as possible.. I have very small hands and typically play fast aggressive music, even then big necks arn't very confertable, but If I dont play metal, it's mostly livable.

I did try playing a guitar with a neck of the thick rounder side of average, everyday for a year, and ended up with a persistent pain in my hand that only went away when I switched instruments

Dave_Death and JohnnyGoo like this.
  8. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

1. I'm a multi instrumentalist, and for me this is a non issue

2. I can play anything if I practice with it

This pretty much sums it up. I had to vote for "all of the above " since you can't vote for 2 things.

9. Col Mustard

come on, come on... step right up and let us have your take on this issue.
    if it is an issue.... what say you, me droogies?

10. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

I'm a terrible player, simply awful, I must be the worst player on here, I struggle to play anything well, I've been struggling for years, I'm shite... I started to improve and enjoy playing when I got an Ibanez RG style guitar and the ultra skinny-necked G310, so I am in the skinny as possible, please group. I'm not a musician, I'm talentless, but I enjoy playing and find the skinny necks far nicer and easier to play. The baseball bat style LP clone was playable, but moving from it to the SG was a joy; always made me realise how much more I liked the shape and size and weight of the SG.

Dave_Death and JohnnyGoo like this.
  11. 83 Blazer

83 Blazer Well-Known Member

I picked I can play anything if I practice with it....whatever I play it all sounds like s*@t regardless.:rofl:

I have 7 guitars and the necks are all different from the rest. From a 1960's Levin hollowbody to a 1980's ibanez Blazer and an SG Special Faded with a mixture of acoustic and electrics in between. I have never stopped playing one of them and thought "if only the neck on this was like the neck on that it would be better or more comfortable." The shape of the neck wasn't really something I had much thought about until I started looking at guitar forums.
    I'm not trying to be righteous or anything, it just want something that concerned me much.

JohnnyGoo and Col Mustard like this.
  12. milesdeem

milesdeem Well-Known Member

Non issue.....I play bass and keyboards also, but mostly my odd variety of guitars get played more often. I have small hand's and play mostly rock/metal rythym guitar. Neck shape to me is not much of an issue. I do prefer a meaty neck (like the old Ibanez Roadstar with the maple neck and maple fretboard). It filled the hand. But I'm just as comfortable with a skinny neck.

JohnnyGoo likes this.
  13. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

I went through the soul searching on this and with a lot of great comments on this forum, I picked the I can play anything if i practice with it.
    Of course, there probably are some extremes.
    Oh and my playing is not good, I'm only in about a year, but have several budget guitars with slim to pretty chunky necks.

its very similar to my taste in women: any port in a storm!

Again, a man's got to know his limitations; there are exceptions...

JohnnyGoo likes this.
  14. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    Limitations - oh my. I know that if I lived to be 200, I would never be able to do this:

alexander paul and JohnnyGoo like this.
  15. Col Mustard

IMHO those who feel small hands can limit the size of neck they play should discuss
    this with Tal Wilkenfeld:
    Tal Wilkenfeld.jpg
    She will set you straight.

milesdeem and JohnnyGoo like this.
  16. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

i picked "none of the above"
    i get along with most necks, but tend to favor chunkier profiles.
    my sg's are the chunkiest and feel great
    i also love the fender modern c on my strats
    my ibanez sz and agile 3010se have very similar profiles and are great

i couldn't tell you anything specific as far as measurements go. i just know when it feels good.
    but i do have a hard time with very slim necks, so i won't say it's a nonissue

JohnnyGoo and Col Mustard like this.
  17. Col Mustard

Pretty cool... and if this guy told me he must have a 24mm neck thickness and not one mm more or less,
    I would believe it. He looks like a man who gets his way. *laughs
    But I would also suggest that he could sound like himself on any guitar. He might grouse around
    about your old Goya not being perfect, but then he'd get down and make great music.

If you look at his right hand technique, you can see my point about how hand position can eliminate
    neck shape from interfering with style. At least I think you can.

I'd like to see a player of this caliber sit down with an SG and a good clear amp and maybe a
    couple of pedals... he might crack a smile. he's got such fine vibrato, such precision of notation
    and execution, and the hall he's playing in has cool acoustic reverb... I wanted to hear him stomp
    a pedal and kick in his overdrive. And turn it off for the reprise, and then use the compressor for
    the final movement.

JohnnyGoo likes this.
  18. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    I was at a small concert where he played a Les Paul, and sounded pretty much like this, but amplified. I spoke to him afterwards and asked him about the Lester, and he showed me. It was strung with what looked like railway lines, and I swear it had a quarter inch action at the top fret - in short, he had created a solid classical guitar. I'd put him up against anyone in a test of grip strength (OK, maybe Tal could take him on).

As for pedals - he does all that stuff with his fingers.

Col Mustard likes this.
  19. Col Mustard

...really, I don't think there is any "right answer" on my poll, I just want to know
    what everybody thinks. I'm opinionated, but if someone says a guitar doesn't feel right
    I would never argue. I might make my point about practicing with it until it does feel
    right, but I would only say that once. If it doesn't feel right after you give it a chance,
    send it back. Who needs it?

and I'd put this answer in the 'magic' category.... that's what I'm looking for
    and when I find it, I have to have it. I'm curious to know if magic can be measured in millimeters. Personally, I don't think so.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
    Kerry Brown and zisme like this.
  20. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Well-Known Member

You put into words what I was trying to say. Some guitars just feel right when you pick them up. The neck is a big part of that. This doesn't mean that I can't play or don't enjoy playing other guitars. Another part of this equation is time. Some days the guitar I was playing yesterday and loved feels off somehow and another guitar that yesterday didn't feel right now feels like the one. Then there are guitars that just feel right all the time. Every time I pickup my Sheraton II I think OMG this guitar is the one. It has a medium neck with a pronounced flat spot on the back. For some reason that particular shape and thickness suits me.