Need help learning Funk 49

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by IndyRocker, Dec 17, 2014.

1. IndyRocker

IndyRocker Active Member

So, my instructor decided to have me learn the beginning of this song. He skipped over the bends at the beginning and went straight to the first rythym portion with the hammer-ons and muted strums.

I have been watching Youtube vids, using Ultimate Guitar's Tab Pro, and of course listening to Joe Walsh play it. I can play the whole song (not well) except for the portion my instructor wants me to learn. Smart guy considering we never even tried the rest of the song huh?

I am having the most trouble with the muted strums. But I am also having trouble with the hammer-ons ringing out clearly. I know I will get it. I always struggle with a new song at first, but this one for some reason is kicking my butt.

If you guys know of any help learning this song I would appreciate it. I know, practice practice practice. I wish Youtube would add an option to the video player to slow down the videos.

2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

could you maybe post a little of you having trouble? That would make it a lot easier for us to give you a steer.

Tazz3 likes this.
  3. IndyRocker

IndyRocker Active Member

I have my boy tonight. If I get off work early enough tomorrow I will try to grab an audio clip of my terrible performance.

4. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Be sure you watch it thru he will do it at a slower speed.
    wait till ya try Life in the fast lane,
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKFO8Mwpdng"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKFO8Mwpdng[/ame]

5. IndyRocker

IndyRocker Active Member

Thats the one I found tonight frankd. I don't know how I missed it yesterday. That will help a lot. Thanks!

Yeah, Life in the Fast lane Is well beyond my skills at the moment.

Sorry, but there is a story here...
    it's funny, I was watching an episode of Guitar Center Sessions this past Sunday. It was Joe Walsh. I am wondering if my instructor might have been watching it as well. Not a word was said about this song. He just decided I needed to learn the patterns in this song. Its very ironic because I was watching it and thinking I'll never be able to play that. And here I am learning how to do just that.

There are funny things in my life lately that present themselves to me vaguely, then a few days later come to fruition in very strange ways. So when my instructor started writing down the tab for this song and playing bits of it he said, "You are starting to realize what this is I bet". After the first 2 notes I knew and I wasn't even surprised.

Great song!

6. IndyRocker

IndyRocker Active Member

At 2:27 in that video, what is the 5/ on the 6th string at the very end of that pattern?

7. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Well Indy I don't read tabs are music, IE speak in redneck to me lol.
    But my situation's a lil different I played guitar as a teenager I could read music new my chromatic scale some theory and where I was at every where all the time on the fret. When I came back to playing I threw all that out the window and just played since I already been there done that I play by sight & sound. But as a kid funk 49 was one of the songs I
    just got own my own. I still play it shitty sloppy lol. But I kinda just know how joe plays like the opening riff for this is just like the lifes been good

lead riffs just in a different spot. Joe often uses his ring to root and bend and follows up with pinky notes. Trower will often root off his index.
    life in the fast lane is similar to funk 49 but faster. You can and will get It just
    keep trying and as you learn guys like Joe's riffs you will get a feel for HOW they play.Dont try and learn the whole darn song at once learn the main riff isolate and do it over and over then the intro etc then put it together
    sorry I cant be of more help. Im taking a stab but if your talking main riff its a slide back down on the 6 th string
    low E.
    frankd

8. IndyRocker

IndyRocker Active Member

Yeah, that 5/ appears to be a slide on low E, but in the vid he actually plays the D I think?

What you said there helps Frank. My instructor is like you. He isn't trying to teach me theory. He plays by ear. So he is teaching me important riffs in songs that I will eventually use to play whatever. He is a very good guitar player that plays in a band here in Indy. So I am sure that all these random licks and riffs and such are leading me somewhere.

I know he just wants me to learn the chords of this song. I kinda took it upon myself to learn the rest because I love it. He plays it perfectly On his Tele and makes it look so easy.

9. IndyRocker

IndyRocker Active Member

Holy Shiznit, I'm getting it! This one is going to take a bit to get to where I am even slightly satisfied with myself. But it is getting easier to play after only a half hour of practicing it. How can I get a recording with a tablet that is worth a damn? I tried using the regular built in mic but it really sucks and you can barely make out the tansitions.

Six String likes this.
  10. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

That's Cool Indy when you figure the recording part out let me know I don't know jack about that.
    frankd

11. IndyRocker

IndyRocker Active Member

I think I need to ask Santa for one of those iRig adapters from IK Multimedia to be able to record my guitar. So far I have 5 crap recordings. Where can I upload one so you can hear it?

Also, the Jimi Hendrix chord in this song. .. I have looked it up on Google. Some sites show it as a 4 string chord, some a 5 string chord, and some a 6 string chord. All using the same fingering. Most show it having the two E strings muted. But it seems to sound better playing the low E open.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

So which is it? I have been playing the 1st one.

Technically, the root is E so any E can be added to the chord right?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  12. peejaybee

peejaybee Well-Known Member

I practice that song a lot. Someday I won't suck at it.

That second hammer-on, where it's two strings getting hammered, is just plain hard at first.

13. IndyRocker

IndyRocker Active Member

Yes peejaybee, that is exactly the one part that was giving me trouble. I have a crappy recording of me sucking badly at that exact spot.

This was recorded after an hour or so of practice...
    Funk #49 Dec 14 Uploaded by IndyRocker at Your Listen

Don't laugh, I just started playing with a pick and electricity a few months ago :)

Tazz3 likes this.
  14. IndyRocker

IndyRocker Active Member

I am also still pretty slow at transitioning to the E7(#9) chord. I have been practicing it a lot by doing the slide just before it and fingering the chord and strumming. I am better now so today I will try to get another recording of me sucking a tad bit less.

15. peejaybee

peejaybee Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's still a problem spot for me. Most of the all-four-fingers chords really slow me down -- the Hendrix chord here and the B7 in "Rumble" spring to mind.

16. IndyRocker

IndyRocker Active Member

I am working on the timing now. Trying to make it sound more like the song. I still can't do the muted strums at all without making the strings ring but I like to think I am getting closer. I have my lesson tomorrow so hopefully my instructor can help me with that.

17. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

Cool guys. Indy I checked ya out not bad, Palm muting thumpin grabbing bar chords are just things ya gotta keep at and eventually you will get
    them! Good work. Now since yall are working hard. I figured I better too
    so In keeping in a theme for this whole work and practice ethic.
    I started learning Rock Or Bust. So im working too!:dude:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zArl8UnCaoY"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=zArl8UnCaoY[/ame]
    I dig this guys chanell name shut up and play!
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLg1OzWPa44"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLg1OzWPa44[/ame]

18. IndyRocker

IndyRocker Active Member

Good choice Frank. I am checking that out as soon as I finish this reply.

I can palm mute. But it is difficult on this song for me. I don't know why. So I have been trying to lift my left fingers to mute the strings. I will get it eventually.

I haven't made a second recording. I can actually play it more like the song is actually played now. Still very far from perfect, but I will be a lot better in a couple weeks. Those slides on the low E have worn a groove in my index finger. Hopefully a large callus shield develops there =)

Man, I have this idear. It is similar to what we did on a CNC Programming site to learn the software. It was a learning group. We picked a project, everyone worked on it then submitted their work so everyone could see how everyone else tackled the exact same project. It was an amazing learning tool. We could do the exact same thing with a piece of music.

Thoughts?

19. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

That is A good idea / But I don't know If I can participate.
    Surfing the net posting pics and vids is about the extent of my computer
    skills. My plan was to get a interface a shure mic and get someone to install reaper for me this xmas but I spent that money on my new Baja tele
    and di marzio dp 103 neck and pearly gates Bridge pu for my Soltero. another board member on here emailed me some 60 second tracks I asked how he did It he said recorded with his phone voice app now I have done that but I don't know how to get them from there to anywhere else. I blew my last computer up by doing a 3 minute video with my camera I guess it was to much. so now im leary . I plugged my phone in this one and got nowhere
    my old computer would RECOGNIZE DEVICE and let me download a file this one windows 8 is a pain in my ass. I have a idea for you why don't you beat the instructor to the punch on your next song and try Mountain's
    Mississippi Queen I think its easier Than funk 49 and just as cool.
    at least the main riff is.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLiyNP_yOms"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLiyNP_yOms[/ame]

20. IndyRocker

IndyRocker Active Member

Heh, yeah another good one. I am letting my instructor keep the lead. but that one looks like it would be fun to learn. He gave me 3 songs to work on. I am going back tomorrow only having worked on Funk #49. So after work for the hour and a half I have to practice a couple CCR tunes, which I fortunately already know, but on the Acoustic.