Need Help on My SG

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Julio, May 12, 2021.

1. Julio

Julio New Member

Hi, to the SG lovers hehehe. I need help yo identified what year was my SG build, never seem a SG like this. I own this guitar for over 30 years, bough at a guitar store (Not Just Guitars in Miami), the guitar was a project, all in pieces and after so many years I had decide to put it back together, looks like all the electronics are original as the hardware, but no serial number or part number to identified. I never seem a neck like this one on a SG. here are some picture in case someone like to help. Here are two pick plates, the one I copy from the original(was broken) and the one I'm replace for. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Active Member

That looks like someone shaved down the sides of the headstock (either to lighten it or for the looks), modifications like this are not unheard of, especially on "project" guitars. It should make a good player though. The lack of serial number is fairly common on refinished guitars and instruments with replacement necks. As a fellow owner of a modified "project" guitar, I say embrace the weirdness and enjoy the guitar once you get it playing as good as possible. It is sure to be a conversation starter, just practice your "game face" for when some express disapproval. Their opinions matter not if you are happy with it. When you are doing a salvage job, you can either do an expensive restoration (for no real "value added "benefit, it will always a restoration) or preserve the history of the instrument modifications and all. You can also go hog wild and make it something even more unique without destroying a rare or expensive instrument. :thumb:

3. Julio

Julio New Member

Something that I didn't mention on my original post are this two particular items, if you notice on this pictures, it's no hole made for the pick up switch on the guitar body, it was actually originally install on the pickguard and the way to straight the neck is with a 8mm socket.

4. skelt101

skelt101 Active Member

The shape of the headstock and description of the switch mounted to a pickguard makes me think Melody Maker. Do you have any pictures of the entire guitar and/or pot codes? That might help some of the detectives here. :thumb:

PermissionToLand, Julio and RW59 like this.
  5. Julio

Julio New Member

I will post in few minutes a picture of the entire guitar, for what I read till now, you are right !, a Melody Maker.

6. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Headstock shape is definitely melody maker. Bridge definitely eludes to a 1970’s era

brut2001 and Julio like this.
  7. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Photos of full guitar would greatly help

8. Julio

Julio New Member

9. Julio

Julio New Member

Long time ago I was told in a guitar store, this SG was build sometime around 62 to 68, the guy was talking about the pickups switch was place as Page double neck guitar.

10. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Active Member

Given the new information, I would just fix her up "as is" for best playability. She's quite a looker and more original than I first thought.

Julio likes this.
  11. Julio

Julio New Member

Thanks, the reason why I try to find who my baby is, it's simple, love the way it feel when I play, love this guitar, it's been back a forward from hell, but still a beauty.

12. Julio

Julio New Member

Here are some pictures that shows the original electronic metal case, the original pickguard and the pickup's on the guitar at the time I go it, one of them was not good, I just order a new ones, should be here tomorrow and will try to put it together. IMG_0281.JPG IMG_0284.JPG IMG_0287.JPG IMG_0281.JPG IMG_0281.JPG

13. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  14. MR D

MR D Member

That is exactly what I thought when I saw the headstock: 'Melody-Maker'.

Julio likes this.
  15. Julio

Julio New Member

Thanks to all you guys for the help and knowledge about this guitar, now after the link from cerebral gasket I know exactly what I own and what can I do to make it as original as possible, once again Thanks to every one of you.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  16. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Looks better with humbuckers, I'd say, and probably sounds better too so I'd keep those. Also, the Vibrola handle is upside down.

Julio likes this.
  17. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I was thinking this was a modded Melody Maker.
    Some of those were made with only one P-90, so no need
    for a selector switch. The Melody Maker outsold most other Gibson
    Guitars in its heyday, simply because it has all the rawk and Kerang,
    but none of the bling and no fancy price either.

So it's a rock an roll machine pure and simple. One of the best.
    Gibson still re-issues those periodically. Sometimes they look like a flat Les Paul. They sound as good, but don't weigh as much or cost as much.

Here's a link to a Gibson article called "The Evolution of the Melody Maker."
    This model has gone through some changes for sure. But maybe this will help
    you identify its period.

To my eye, the brass insulator in the control cavity, and the harmonica bridge, and the Schaller tuners indicate it was made in the seventies, but maybe the mods were done then.

http://es.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle...ion-of-the-gibson-melody-maker-0502-2012.aspx

Also one characteristic of stolen Gibsons is that they get their serial numbers
    removed or refinished. Something to keep in mind... although it may be
    ancient history.

Also, one characteristic of White painted Gibson guitars is that the paint is so
    thick that the serial number is almost obscured. This has always been true.

Last edited: May 15, 2021
    Julio likes this.
  18. MacDiarmada

MacDiarmada New Member

That is THE ROUGHEST looking SG I’ve ever seen!

Julio likes this.
  19. Julio

Julio New Member

And you may be right, after over 30 years ownings this guitar that I purchase in pieces at a guitar store I'm putting it together as much I can to be original, but you right it was pretty **** up

20. Julio

Julio New Member

To all the people who help me to identified the approximated year of my guitar, here is my almost final project. This beautiful 55 years old lady still sound like a 19, LOL. I did got new Fret's, new Dimarzio's because one of the original was bad. To call it completed It may need a paint job. But here is my new wonderful sound guitar.

Attached Files: