Need some help with a Cabinet Rating - What do I order?

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Russell Rubman, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Russell Rubman

Russell Rubman New Member

I have the Orange Rocker 15 Terror now and I want to buy two 12" Celestion speaker cabs for it.
    The amp has both 8 Ohm and 16 Ohm outputs.

If I am using one cab then the speaker is just 8 Ohms I guess and good to go...right?
    If I add on the second cab does that drop the output to 4 Ohms per cab or do I just use the 16 Ohm output on the amp and get 8 Ohms per cab?

I have not ordered the cabs yet so I want to be careful about making a mistake.
    What should the ratings of the speakers be in this case or do I just order 2 cabs at 8 Ohm rating and get a parallel cable or ??

Would appreciate some advice here.
    Thanks,
    Russ

2. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Member

The easiest way is to use 2 16 ohm cabs paralleled for 8 ohms. Of course you could series 2 8 ohm cabs and use the 16 ohm jack, but that would be more complicated, and prone to error.
    Hookup is head to cab, and cab to cab for parallel wiring.

3. Russell Rubman

So I will use a single cab on the 16 ohm tap, and when I want to use the pair I will daisy-chain them (parallel) off the 8 ohm tap. Correct?

No point in putting the cabs in series with a loop cable right? No advantage?

4. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Member

I would be afraid of adding a series jack unless you will always use it. With 2 16 ohms daisy chained you will know you are correct. And yes 16 ohms with one cab.

5. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Orange makes a very nice 2 x 12 in well black and shockingly orange?

6. Russell Rubman

I just really like the idea of two smallish cabs so I can leave one out 24/7 for practice and add a second when I want to "release the hounds" LOL.
    I went with Barefaced Reformer cabs because they seem to defy logic. A single 12" cab is nearly indistinguishable (to my ears) from a 212!
    Bill - thanks vey much for the advice!

7. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Member

I too like the 2 cab Idea, I built myself a Twin clone several years ago with the intention of it being a head to use with pedal steel. A friend made me too good a deal on a Mojo cab, so I put it in that. I built a new baffle for a single 15, and have an old SRO in it, sounds great, but when I also plug into another cab with a D130 JBL, its really great!
    Hopefully I'll get some time and build a couple cabs and a head this year.