Never called 911 before

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Tobacco Worm, Jun 19, 2014.

1. WavMixer

WavMixer Well-Known Member

Dayum!!! Glad to hear that you are still with us. This has been a bad year with my father-in-law having a stroke, a close friend with stage 4 cancer, another friend with cancer. So much pain and sickness in this world. Carry on my brother from another mother!!

2. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

I know how you feel Wav... 4 weeks ago my wife had a so-called 'minor' stroke, 2 days ago my mother had surgery on her eye for cancer, and yesterday my 10 year old son ended up in hospital with appendicitis.... What's next???

3. CATMANDUE

CATMANDUE Well-Known Member

Very sorry to read that. That is horrible! I'm glad you are doing better. Us older gents have to take care of ourselves more than when we were 19. If you can try to see a good doctor to help you with this angina it will help I'm sure. You want to be around to take care of your babies (your doggies!). Proper diet and exercise will probably play a positive role in your recovery as well. Good luck!

4. Susihukkanen

Susihukkanen Well-Known Member

All the best for you Wade! Quite a nightmare you have experienced! Hopefully you recover well and feel ok after a good rest.

Do you used there some kind of coordinate system, so you could give the 911 your coordinates like: Latitude: 32°46′59″ N, Longitude: 96°48′24″ W? At least here the emergency units use GPS for locating the places and that should give them the most accurate spot you are located. I have prepared one instruction sheet for my summerhouse in the middle of forest where these coordinates are gives so if someone gets lost there he can find the location where he is. The road names are not telling that much.

5. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I'm walking up to a 1K a day now, and briskly at that. I take a cane with me so it feels like I'm carrying a rifle in my hands. I know that sounds odd, but most every long walk I ever took when younger was with a rifle in my hands, so when I walk in the road out front that's what I do. When I walk my place here in the woods I tend to go slow as habit of being in the jungle and such. I know that the NVA isn't gonna pop out from behind a tall pine tree here, but old habits are hard to break. So I mainly walk in the paved road out front and do so with a fast pace too. My dogs go with me and yesterday two of them went after a rabbit that jumped up and they were gone for a bit chasing that poor bunny.

The heart is too damaged to do much with so there's not much to be done there, but now I believe there's a blockage in an artery. Maybe they can blow that out or something. Who knows?:dunno: Monday is the big Stress Test day at the VA in Dallas. Hope that my old body holds together long enough to do the treadmill thing. The last time the knee was acting up and they did a chemical test and that scared the hell outta me! I though that I was gonna blow up!!!:ohno:

The 911 system here is antiquated and I don't know if they even have a GPS system in their rigs. This is still the backwoods as far as technology is concerned and even the law enforcement is still working in the 1970's for the most part too. I offered my services to the local sheriff to do tactical crime analysis for him to help track and predict criminal activity like I did "In the big city", but he thanked me for the offer and said that was way too sophisticated for him. I'm in a time warp sometimes here and wonder if things will change.

6. LeadFinger

LeadFinger Well-Known Member

Tobacco Worm, how many rigs do your ES run?

I know about primitive EMS: some years back my mother had a heart attack, on her remote property. Turned out the lone ambulance crew had had a few too many that night, so it took a good 6 hours to finally get her to a hospital. There was little I could do being 3,500 miles away, except call her neighbors -- none of whom -- that I could reach - could get to her any faster.

7. R.A.F.

R.A.F. Active Member

Damn! Don't really know what to say...
    I'm just glad you made it through... You sir are one tough man.
    It is so horrible that most people don't seem to give a s#it about other human being's life anymore. Good thing you have people around you who care and are willing to help.

Take it easy brother, and enjoy your time as you can. Good luck on monday, I'm hoping for the best!

8. Tobacco Worm

Lead, I have no idea the number of units they run per shift here in this part of the country. The two lads that showed up here were as wide as they were tall. Musta been hard for one to get out and open the gate. Good thing neither one hadda do CPR on me. They woulda crushed me!:wow:

I'm still getting in 1K a day walking and haven't had a cigarette in four days now. And I've trimmed off 10 pounds. Down to 184 and still dropping. At 6' and my body type, now that I no longer pump iron, that's still too heavy. I'm shooting for 170 I think. The doc said I should be at 155, but that would make me look like an AIDS victim!:ohno:

I'm as ready as I can be for Monday. Gonna get on that treadmill and give it hell. If I drop on the thing at least I'll be on the cardiac floor and the crash cart will be handy!:naughty: But I really think I'll make it OK as long as the left knee holds up. If not, what are they gonna do, send me to Vietnam? :dunno::laugh2:

(secretly I sure wish I was pushing 40 again rather than 70. Getting old sucks. ;) )

LeadFinger and Alex_SG like this.
  9. LeadFinger

LeadFinger Well-Known Member

Man, it sounds like your medics need to get on that treadmill more than you do, Tobacco Worm! I was thinking if it was just one or two rigs we could send them a Garmin with your lat and long pre-programmed. Make it a very early Veteran's Day present for the community. I still can't believe they got lost, but then people can't map read anymore.

It's really good to hear you getting out there and hiking. Many would get a bit depressed by such an experience, and understandably so.

Alex_SG likes this.
  10. Tobacco Worm

Shucks, they ask me stuff at the Dr's office and such if I'm depressed. I look at 'em and smile. I tell them I'm OK and not to worry. I still got all my body parts on the outside and such, not like some of the young troops that come home from the land of sand missing stuff. But no matter how bad I get with my health I'm not gonna stew over it and whine. That doesn't do a thing to help. And the Dr at the ER a while back asked me if I felt safe at home. Silly question. I'm an old combat vet and retired cop armed to the teeth and with enough attitude for three more guys to go around. So I guess it must be common for old people to be scared and depressed huh? Not me, I get a kick outta what life I have and love to sit back and watch young folks ignore common sense and mess up. I just watch when they really mess things up after being cautioned to do otherwise, then I say "Dumbass" and chuckle like a little gnome. Old age does have some rewards.......Cheap entertainment. :naughty:

Alex_SG, Biddlin and LeadFinger like this.
  11. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

12. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

13. alans sg

alans sg Well-Known Member

Hi Wade , i haven't known you for too long mate but sending some tartan mojo and good vibes you'r way , hang in there , cheers
    Alan

14. Tobacco Worm

Thanks Alan, RAF, Lead, eS.G. and all the gang. I made out OK on the stress test this morning. Hit 115 BPM on the machine and couldn't get it any higher so they took that as the target for testing. All the gizmos hooked to me and shooting junk into my blood and sonograms, and all sorts of stuff going on from start to finish. I felt just like the "Six Dollar Man" doing this stuff. Or maybe a cheap version of the Frankenstein monster way past retirement! But no chest pains during the whole thing and they said that my Dr will know what's what in about three days. So we'll see what's going on with me later I guess. So far, so good. :fingersx:

I'm tuckered out though and gonna go take a nap. Then I'll be up and walking the place here this evening. But hey, six days and no cigarettes now. I'm feeling pretty good really. One thing for sure though, I won't call 911 again. :naughty:

R.A.F. and eS.G. like this.
  15. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

WONDERFUL news ...and stay off those smokes man. After 30 days tobacco free you will feel 10 years younger! And your veins and artery's will open up and flow better.
    (Hey I am a CPT--I know these things--plus I quit smoking a while back lol) You feel much better, and have the energy to chase Lead, Pitt Bullfrog and that darn whippersnapper Angus all around the interwebs :-)

16. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

Keep up the good work Wade! I've never tried to quit smoking but know I should (duh!).
    Stay busy when you want and stay lazy when you want and please keep us updated.
    Wishing you the best!

17. shreddy bender

I guess some people never listened to their Mom's words of wisdom eh?
    "If you don't have something good to say..."
    Oh why bother.
    :dunno:

LPBR and Alex_SG like this.
  18. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

19. shreddy bender

O.K. then... I'm just this guy...:dunno:

Alex_SG likes this.
  20. LPBR

LPBR Active Member

Ouch, man, this is scary! I am glad that you are OK after all this strugling.

:thumb:

I thought that the emergency service was crap only in Brasil. Seems that it is the same everywhere if you don't have an insurance.

:(

About the incompetence on find your address, I blame it to the computers: there is at least a couple decades that I have noticed that people are getting idiots and brainless because it. It reminds me that typical situation when the person at the other side of the counter (usually in a public repartition) looks at the computer screen and says:

-- Well, mister, the computer is saying that you don't exist, so there is nothing I can do here.

:mad:

So, people don't think anymore. They just do what the computer tells them to do...

:ohno:

Rusty Chops likes this.