New Album Featuring My Epi Ltd Ed Iommi SG

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by WytchCrypt, Jul 8, 2020.

1. WytchCrypt

WytchCrypt Active Member

Hi all,

I hope this is the right forum for an album announcement as I couldn't find another that seemed a better fit. Mods, please feel free to move to a more appropriate place if necessary ;)

As some of you know, I got a new Epi Iommi Ltd Ed SG last April, made some hardware mods (locking tuners, roller bridge, new tailpiece) and downtuned it 5 half steps to B. What I never mentioned is I was so inspired by this beautiful and dangerous cross inlayed weapon of mass destruction, I began writing and recording new songs within a couple of weeks. I recently finished the album and wanted to announce it to my fellow SG players.

I currently have 4 one-man-bands I release albums under, 2 of which are for my own amusement and 2 of which I share via Bandcamp and youtube. Mutiny in Jonestown is my prog rock band and has released 42 albums since 1987 (the band's homepage lives at: https://wytchcrypt.wixsite.com/mutiny-in-jonestown). WytchCrypt is my doom metal band and has released 8 albums since 2004 - though the first 5 weren't doom metal, but that's another story :naughty:

In 2014 I released WytchCrypt's first doom metal album, the all instrumental, "Novembre Sorciere Crypte". In 2019 the second, an EP titled, "Nous Vivons Dans L'Ombre" added vocals. Both albums featured my Epi LP Custom with super heavy gauge strings downtuned to C# - or maybe it was C, I don't remember for sure but those strings were thick as telephone cables and impossible to bend!

I hadn't planned on any more WytchCrypt doom metal albums, then I bought the Epi Iommi SG and that all changed :dude:

The new WytchCrypt album, "Fantasmagorique" features 5 extended pieces, all of which were written on and feature the Epi Iommi SG handling all the rhythm and lead electric guitar parts. The only exceptions are a couple songs featuring a 1967 Fender 400 pedal steel playing the slide solos. Any solo's you hear that aren't played with a slide were handled by the Iommi SG. If I had to give a quick description of the album, I'd say it's a melting pot of doom metal, progressive rock, dark lyrics, clean vocals (except for the bonus track), some polyrhythms and a little of composer Arnold Schoenberg's 12 tone theory thrown in to spice things up. The ProgArchives site calls the band "Experimental-Post/Metal", on the doom-metal forum, they call it "Progressive Doom". All I know for sure is getting my Epi Iommi SG was one of the best guitar purchases I ever made and this album wouldn't have happened without it!

So for those who want to hear what someone else is doing with their Epi Iommi SG (or are just fans of doom with a twist), I invite you to check out WytchCrypt :smile:

Thanks!

You can hear the album on bandcamp at: https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/album/fantasmagorique

WytchCrypt's home page is at: https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    Grizzlyman and SGfan84 like this.
  2. tony1852

tony1852 New Member

I'm going to take a listen this afternoon-CAN'T WAIT!!! Thanks so much!!!!!

WytchCrypt likes this.
  3. WytchCrypt

WytchCrypt Active Member

Thanks for listening Tony, hope you like it :dude:

4. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Not generally my cup of tea but that sh!t is so refreshingly weird and uncompromisingly "I'm gonna do my thang" that I can not but have the greatest respect. Stellar job on the separation, instrumentation and mix. Sounds great!

WytchCrypt and SGfan84 like this.
  5. SGfan84

SGfan84 Member

Checked out your different pages and the last album and like Von Trapp, normally doom metal is not my cup of tea but I am a fan of Sabbath, Tony Iommi, SG's, Prog Rock and composing/recording/mixing/mastering/one man band (just like myself) and man I have to hand it to you: you do an excellent job. I am sure technology has come a long way since the 1980's and now it is much easier and more fun!

My favorite tracks on the new album: Sorcerer and Changeling. The prog tempos and changes on Sorcerer are pretty sick and the mellow interlude in Changeling is a nice sound.

You can hear the great tone from those USA pickups. Great playing and composing/recording/mixing. It is not easy, but when there's a passion for it, it becomes an enjoyable project.

WytchCrypt likes this.
  6. WytchCrypt

WytchCrypt Active Member

Thanks Von Trapp for your kind words! I consider hearing my music described as, "refreshingly weird" to be an extremely high complement. As far as 'doing my thang' goes, well, there's really no other option! I've got a Frank Zappa quote on the music room wall that I look at frequently...especially when writing and arranging something new..."The musical message is a philosophical message and it's very simple. You're never gonna please anyone else so you might as well please yourself." Glad to hear the overall mix was a success. I doubled all the Iommi SG parts (other than solos), one hard left and another hard right to give it a big sound...

Hey SGfan84, thanks for your kind words as well! When I left the world of playing in bands to begin doing the one-man-band thing back in 1980, I had a state-of-the-art Akai reel-to-reel. The tech was called sound-on-sound and you'd record on the left...bounce the left to the right while adding the next instrument...bounce the right back to the left adding the 3rd part, etc. It was very unforgiving and there was no fixing it in the mix! You'd get 6 to 7 bounces before the first instrument faded into tape hiss so you had to plan ahead. I did that for 3 years and learned a lot about recording, mixing and how instrument levels worked together. You're absolutely right, the tech now is so much easier and a lot more fun! Sometimes I get bummed that my early Mutiny in Jonestown albums were recorded on a cassette porta-studio and weren't the greatest fidelity, but hey, I protected those masters as best I could until digital came along in the mid 90's and I could remaster everything ;)

Glad to hear you like Sorceror & Changeling...me too! FYI, the strange bell-like sounds on the Changeling interlude is a Prophet 12.

Those Iommi pickups are absolutely killer and the highest output pickups I've ever played. In many of the songs on Fantasmagorique I like to let the Iommi melt into feedback as the song transitions to the next section. I've never been able to get a pickup to do that running through a Line6 PodXT at medium volume - including the Gibson Dirty Fingers I have on my Epi LP Custom - but the Iommi pickups handle that job perfectly.

Thanks again for listening! I always find that positive comments about my music mean much more when they come from other musicians :h5:

SGfan84 likes this.
  7. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

It was meant to as a compliment. Because ye that does as others do, does nothing at all.

WytchCrypt likes this.
  8. WytchCrypt

WytchCrypt Active Member

Absolutely! And I completely took it as a compliment, and one of the coolest ones I've ever received at that :h5:

Don't be the best at what you do, be the only one that does what you do :dude: