New Amp Suggestions!

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by jetlag, Oct 1, 2008.

1. jetlag

jetlag Member

Hello! :)

Haven't been around these parts for a bit, been busy busy! >:(

Anyway, as I mentioned here before, my amp blew (I still haven't got around to fixing it/selling it/whatever :/ haha) - and I borrowed my friend's amp that I loved.

Basically, I have a Marshall DSL100 - which has done me great for the last 2 years. However when I used the solid state Marshall 3315 - I was blown away.
    The sound was incredible, the best I've ever sounded. So I'm thinking, maybe it's all the effects I use?

Maybe they all just go into the clean channel of my DSL100 and make it sound like crap?
    But the solid state can handle it better?

However my friend doesn't want to sell his 3315 and I can't seem to find one for love nor money.
    So are there any amps anyone knows of that sound amazing with loads of effects in front of them?
    Bear in mind, I never use the dirty channel on amps, so all I need is a nice clean that doesn't mud up too much when I put a fuzz factory, big muff and numerous other pedals in front of it.

Whilst for years I've been championing valve amps and putting down solid state - I'm open to either options.

Cheers fellas - hope you're all good :)

2. mr_dj07

mr_dj07 Member

Maybe you need an amplifier with a lot of clean headroom ?

I don't know if the clean channel of the DSL stays clean, but maybe your effects (distortion/OD pedals + whatever) drive your preamp tubes a little too much for your taste.

Maybe you should try out a Hiwatt or something similar, with a lot of clean headroom.

Maybe that's what appealed you in the solid state amplifier !

Hope it helps !

mr_dj07

3. jetlag

jetlag Member

Thank you! :)
    Though I'm not sure I could afford a Hiwatt at the moment. Hah :(

4. Zeppelin Rules

Zeppelin Rules Active Member

Yea DSLs basically have no clean channels. Maybe something really clean like a Fender Twin? Or Jazz Chorus take pedals well.

5. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

Id say if a solid state amp sounded good for you... consider yourself lucky and go get yourself a fender roland or peavy solid state amp and be happy! There is no shortage of well built solid state amps with clean headroom out there so you should have no problem finding something that gets you what you want. They have the added bene of being cheaper to buy and alot cheaper to maintain since you basically don't have to do anything to them. I love tube amps but they are alot more hassle and more expensive to operate.

I'll also second the comment that marshall DSL amps are not really designed for their clean headroom. Even the clean channel is really designed to color the tone just not in the same way the higher gain channel does. For cleans, I use a traynor 50watt tube amp.

6. jetlag

jetlag Member

I'm shocked myself that the solid state sounded so good.
    Maybe it was just a one off, or just them 3315s? But SOMETHING in there did something to my sound that just sounded incredible that I've never got off my DSL.
    I'm looking at HiWatts now... even the cheapest ones are at the highest end of my budget :( and they're 'hi-gain' ones too, which I'm not after.

That said, I think I'll be looking at eBay/2nd hand again. Save some cash and taking a hit on depreciation...
    Toying with the idea of a combo, but I'm not decided yet. Whatever I can afford and sounds good to be honest!

7. jetlag

jetlag Member

[quote author=Zeppelin Rules link=topic=17906.msg220160#msg220160 date=1222906500]
    Yea DSLs basically have no clean channels. Maybe something really clean like a Fender Twin? Or Jazz Chorus take pedals well.
    [/quote]
    Would love a Twin, but it's really not financially viable again.

I've been looking at them Jazz Chorus amps too. Looks/sounds what I need from reviews etc!
    It looks ugly as sin though, fair play.
    Got a bit excited when I saw one cheap on eBay, but then realised it was a smaller version :(
    Bah. I'm gonna have to keep on looking.

*edits*

Actually - what do you think about this one guys?
    Tempted to go for it...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROLAND-JC-120-s-n-481853-ALL-ORIGONAL_W0QQitemZ130259920296QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item130259920296&_trkparms=72%3A1301|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

It's a bit old though. 2 year older than me! :o ;D

8. Zeppelin Rules

[quote author=jetlag link=topic=17906.msg220176#msg220176 date=1222959745]
    I'm shocked myself that the solid state sounded so good.
    Maybe it was just a one off, or just them 3315s? But SOMETHING in there did something to my sound that just sounded incredible that I've never got off my DSL.
    I'm looking at HiWatts now... even the cheapest ones are at the highest end of my budget :( and they're 'hi-gain' ones too, which I'm not after.

[/quote]

Yea Hiwatts are pretty expensive, although I don't think they really mean high gain in the modern sense of the word. David Gilmour used to use Hiwatts with lots of effects back in the day. Heres a good review as well.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=n5xPfhFb7AM

9. jetlag

jetlag Member

Nice, but again they're well over £1200+

Just found something called a Hiwatt Maxwatt G200 - a 200w solid state Hiwatt amp.
    I can't seem to find much info but they're about £300 (so about $600?) brand new.
    On youtube there's only a handful of vids on there, but a guy seems to be knocking some Floyd out on it nice...
    It's really tempting. But for £300 there's got to be a catch, right? :/

10. Constellation80

Constellation80 Member

11. Zeppelin Rules

Thats a shame, I wouldn't be surprised if the cheaper hiwatts are probably made in China but don't quote me.

What do Jazz Chourss go for on your side of the pond?

12. jetlag

jetlag Member

Brand new, the Jazz Choruses go for £600-650, (about $1200-1300 maybe?), which, I know isn't a lot for a good amp.
    However I really can't afford to spend that much :(

Basically, I have to get my DSL fixed, sell that, and whatever I earn I can slap another £100ish on top and that's my budget really.

Failing that I could just fix the DSL and 'deal with it' I guess.

Hmm. But I DO like the look of them Hiwatts...

Hah. I guess I might end up pissing a lot of people off if I'm going Valve -> Solid State...