New Custom Shop SG with wrong Certificate of Authenticity

Mindthepipes

Reaction score
Has this ever happened to you?

I just got a brand new 1963 Les Paul SG Custom Reissue with Maestro Vibrola - Classic White.
The guitar is lovely, but the paperwork inside the case is all wrong - claiming it to be the 60th Anniversary 1961 Les Paul SG Custom with sideways vibrola :confused::confused::confused: The serial number is correct, so the certificate was written for my guitar, but it's the wrong model!!!

Mindthepipes

Reaction score
sg 60th.jpg

Doesn't look like the sideways vibrola to me. How can they mess up like this? Are the 60th anniversary models even out yet?

papagayo

Reaction score
Do you prefer a wrong guitar with a correct certificate ?

:rofl:

Reactions: TJR

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
Funny. I don't believe they're out yet, but are surely in pre-production. They likely just grabbed a COA from the wrong stack.

Wild Bill212

Reaction score
Gibson will make it right. Just give em a call. They have always dealt with me fairly and squarely. I am betting its just a simple mistake and Gibson will set the matter straight.

BTW, I bet that li'l Beastie is a CANNON, yes ?

Huntroll

Reaction score
Trials and tribulations of the shipping clerk !

Mindthepipes

Reaction score
Do you prefer a wrong guitar with a correct certificate ?

:rofl:

The guitar is the one I wanted - I don't care for the sideways vibrola :)

First world problem IMO. How does it play?

A first world problem, but with the money these cost you'd want even the paperwork to be right.

I've contacted the Custom shop, waiting for a reply. The guitar itself is fantastic, so no problem there.

Funny they mixed the case candy, too. There's also a print of an old ad selling the '61, with Les Paul and Mary Ford on it.

TattooedCarrot

Reaction score
Contact Gibson customer service, or better yet have the dealer you bought it from do so. I've heard horror stories that Gibson won't reissue certificates unless they have the guitar in their possession, however maybe the dealer having it and handling it for you would suffice. Keep us posted. Killer guitar too.

TattooedCarrot

Reaction score

Von Trapp

Reaction score
If I got a real Vibrola instead of that sideways crap I'd be laughing all the way to the amp. It's like having a certificate saying "Horse with wagon" for your Dodge Charger.

Latest posts