New Damaged 12 string on the way

Layne Matz

Reaction score
Just bought a damaged rogue 12 string for $42 USD from a music shop on ebay, it has a neck crack of unknown severity. Worst case scenario I'll repair it, add splines, and possibly replace the truss rod if neccissary. Still cheaper than almost any other 12 string. Should be here by the 30th. I intend to keep it tuned to open B, C, or C# and use it primarily for slide in the style of Leo Kottke. Im considering getting a very cheap damaged ovation as well, still undecided.
Screenshot_2019-10-25-10-43-00.png Screenshot_2019-10-25-10-43-35-1-1.png Screenshot_2019-10-25-10-43-38-1-1.png

Layne Matz

Reaction score
Also, I may at some point make a cutaway and modify the bracing. I'll be adding my anti-bellying contraption that fixed the bridge to the back soundboard of the guitar effectively anchoring the bridge with minimal loss of vibration and allowing for easy adjustment or removal.

arcticsg

Reaction score
Happy NGD to you! :smile:

Hope it works out for you and those cracks are only superficial. New Rogue 12 strings sell for 79.99 shipped, but I know you like working on guitars.

Layne Matz

Reaction score
Happy NGD to you! :smile:

Hope it works out for you and those cracks are only superficial. New Rogue 12 strings sell for 79.99 shipped, but I know you like working on guitars.

Indeed! I like to learn and try to be as self sufficient as possible, when it comes to guitar repairs and modification the way I see it all my mistakes and success' will pay off in the long run in terms of know-how and experience.

Im hoping they dont run deep. My SGs neck crack was deemed "a lacquer crack" by a nashville GC guitar tech-he was wrong- but after a year of heavy practice and many gigs it grew until it broke completely due to shock in the back of a truck when we drove over some big train tracks. Even a small crack will grow with heavy use.

Lynurd Fireburd

Reaction score
I got my Aria 12 string after looking at another guitar from a seller for $20. I think they pulled out the 16th fret on a meth binge.

Layne Matz

Reaction score
I got my Aria 12 string after looking at another guitar from a seller for $20. I think they pulled out the 16th fret on a meth binge.
Hey lets not jump to conclusions and give people a little credit...
They could have simply pulled it out due to severe shipping or dents which the string was getting caught on/in.

To be perfectly honest I chipped 3 frets on my First Act that I modified to be very similar to Jerry Garcias guitars-with a SHH pickup configuration + mod switches. I was coming down from LSD for the second time in my life and became frustrated at the bottom cutaway and the lack of fret access so I proceeded to use a 1/2" wood chisel to expand the cutaway. It turned out fine besides the chips in the frets when I missed with the hammer once or twice. I recently replaced the 3 frets with some old acoustic frets I had laying around from a refret job I did earlier this year for an acquaintance, no harm no foul.

Even if they were on a meth binge we should be trying to eliminate stigmas around drug use and addictions in order to encourage people to seek treatment and on principle because alienating and blaming these groups of people just exacerbates the problems.

We as a nation (U.S.) and world leader must curb the opioid and meth crises by decriminalizing, legalizing, and REGULATING all drugs. (keyword:regulating) By making anything illegal we drive it onto a black market and thus give power to criminal orginizations. If we want to end the current power of the cartels, gangs, and balckmarket drug enterprises we must legalize and regulate drugs, becuase people will use them no matter what but at least if it was legal no one would be going to prison for it, the government could ensure purity of the drugs (which would be manufactured, taxed, and sold legally), and dangerous drugs could be only available at free public federal drug use facilities where medical proffesionals can ensure NO ONE OVERDOSES, NO ONE GETS A DISEASE from a dirty needle, and NO ONE DIES. We also need Free public federal hollistic rehabilitation centers for all people rather than the for profit rehabs which currently dominate the country. We should also have clinical studies done to prove or disprove the efficacy of other 'drugs' to help ease out of or end addiction entirely, among the chemcials/substances that should be studied are Ibogaine, Kratom, LSD25, Psilocybin, Cannabis, Ayahuasca, Peyote, Datura, Salvia, and others that I am unaware of. They deem suboxone and methadone safe so why shouldnt we allow the use of certain NONLETHAL chemicals that could make a difference for the millions of people that become chemically addicted or dependant at one point in their lives?

Dont mean to bore you but i think its critical that we try to help those with substance abuse disorders and addictions as best we can rather than do anything to alienate them and drive them further into their problems. With 130 Americans dying due to opiod overdoses DAILY (source: CDC 2019) we need fundamental changes to the way we see, think of, criminalize, and regulate substances.

I can buy enough whiskey and bullets to kill dozens of people on a monday morning but if I want to expand or alter my consciousness with an unprescribed substance I could spentd a fraction of my life in jail for doing so- thats scientifically unjust and unprincipled.

Sorry if this wasnt a reply that you wanted but I'd like some people reading to reconsider their view of chemicals relative to human life and criminal justice.

P.S. Im an independent left wing populist political consultant for a handful of congressional candidates and Im running for congress as soon as I reach the age requirements of 21 for state house of representatives and 25 for federal house representatives. Seeking to serve people and the planet sustainably.

Last edited:

Didds

Reaction score
They could have simply pulled it out due to severe shipping or dents which the string was getting caught on/in.

To be perfectly honest I chipped 3 frets on my First Act that I modified to be very similar to Jerry Garcias guitars-with a SHH pickup configuration + mod switches. I was coming down from LSD for the second time in my life and became frustrated at the bottom cutaway and the lack of fret access so I proceeded to use a 1/2" wood chisel to expand the cutaway. It turned out fine besides the chips in the frets when I missed with the hammer once or twice. I recently replaced the 3 frets with some old acoustic frets I had laying around from a refret job I did earlier this year for an acquaintance, no harm no foul.

Even if they were on a meth binge we should be trying to eliminate stigmas around drug use and addictions in order to encourage people to seek treatment and on principle because alienating and blaming these groups of people just exacerbates the problems.

We as a nation (U.S.) and world leader must curb the opioid and meth crises by decriminalizing, legalizing, and REGULATING all drugs. (keyword:regulating) By making anything illegal we drive it onto a black market and thus give power to criminal orginizations. If we want to end the current power of the cartels, gangs, and balckmarket drug enterprises we must legalize and regulate drugs, becuase people will use them no matter what but at least if it was legal no one would be going to prison for it, the government could ensure purity of the drugs (which would be manufactured, taxed, and sold legally), and dangerous drugs could be only available at free public federal drug use facilities where medical proffesionals can ensure NO ONE OVERDOSES, NO ONE GETS A DISEASE from a dirty needle, and NO ONE DIES. We also need Free public federal hollistic rehabilitation centers for all people rather than the for profit rehabs which currently dominate the country. We should also have clinical studies done to prove or disprove the efficacy of other 'drugs' to help ease out of or end addiction entirely, among the chemcials/substances that should be studied are Ibogaine, Kratom, LSD25, Psilocybin, Cannabis, Ayahuasca, Peyote, Datura, Salvia, and others that I am unaware of. They deem suboxone and methadone safe so why shouldnt we allow the use of certain NONLETHAL chemicals that could make a difference for the millions of people that become chemically addicted or dependant at one point in their lives?

Dont mean to bore you but i think its critical that we try to help those with substance abuse disorders and addictions as best we can rather than do anything to alienate them and drive them further into their problems. With 130 Americans dying due to opiod overdoses DAILY (source: CDC 2019) we need fundamental changes to the way we see, think of, criminalize, and regulate substances.

I can buy enough whiskey and bullets to kill dozens of people on a monday morning but if I want to expand or alter my consciousness with an unprescribed substance I could spentd a fraction of my life in jail for doing so- thats scientifically unjust and unprincipled.

Sorry if this wasnt a reply that you wanted but I'd like some people reading to reconsider their view of chemicals relative to human life and criminal justice.

P.S. Im an independent left wing populist political consultant for a handful of congressional candidates and Im running for congress as soon as I reach the age requirements of 21 for state house of representatives and 25 for federal house representatives. Seeking to serve people and the planet sustainably.
Dude, I agree with you, but a guitar forum isn't really the place for this

Layne Matz

Reaction score
Dude, I agree with you, but a guitar forum isn't really the place for this
Just "sticking to my guns" so to speak, sorry if I'm bringing anyone down.

Edit: On principle i think thats an appropriate way to respond to a statement such as the one regarding a potential meth binge and removing a fret.

Bad Penguin

Reaction score

Oh please, let's not be so rightous over a statement made "somewhat" in jest. I was a meth head, I did stupid sh*t as was said, and I own up to it. Political correctness has gone WAY overboard, and this above post is an example of that. That's his viewpoint, then that's his viewpoint, and I salute it. Don't be afraid to call a spade a spade, ok?

Layne Matz

Reaction score
Oh please, let's not be so rightous over a statement made "somewhat" in jest. I was a meth head, I did stupid sh*t as was said, and I own up to it. Political correctness has gone WAY overboard, and this above post is an example of that. That's his viewpoint, then that's his viewpoint, and I salute it. Don't be afraid to call a spade a spade, ok?
I dont think a missing fret is indicative of a meth binge, I don't think that's a matter of political correctnes or neccissarliy "owning up to it". Demeaning someone with an addiction as "a meth head" or anything deragatory or of the sort is counterintuitive to what our goals would logically be if we want to minimize death and harm to people and family members. My response is more for anyone who might read it and reconsider their previous point of view regarding chemicals, our rights, and the American drug war. You have every right to use whatever words you want but I think me stating my detailed thoughts on the matter is an example of fair open discourse and how one person views words that others may take as "jestful". Pardon my typos

"Some get stoned, some get strange
Sooner or later, it all gets real
Walk on"-NY

Last edited:

Latest posts