New Epiphone 1961 Special

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by The Refugee, Jun 22, 2011.

1. The Refugee

The Refugee New Member

Just in case this hasn't been posted before:

http://epiphone.com/press/new2011.html

Scroll down and you'll be able to see pictures of a new Epiphone SG model coming out. Looks pretty good, 2 P90s and a set neck.

2. suicidehummer

suicidehummer Active Member

Damn... pop in some Gibson P90s and that would be a sweet cheap axe...

3. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Even the wraparound bridge!

4. The Refugee

The Refugee New Member

Definitely makes me wanna grab it. Was planning on upgrading from my Fender Mustang amp to a Marshall Class 5...

Decisions decisions...

5. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

oh man...now i feel like buying this...zzz...

6. Yori Halford

Yori Halford Member

Whoa! I want one!! :Droolin: :Droolin:

7. happy_tom

happy_tom Active Member

It's perfect :Droolin:

Even has correct tuners, binding and 5 ply pickguard, unlike gibson. If the price is right i'm getting one asap; I wanted one exactly like thet since forever :D

8. Jimi G

Jimi G Member

Will definitely have to check one of these out!

G

9. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

happy_tom, looks like $399. http://www.zzounds.com/item--EPIEG61 I love my Gibbos, but this has everything I want in an SG, minus all the things that make an Epi and Epi (not getting down on Epi, but...facts is facts Re: QC and quality of wood, so don't misinterpret...I have my fair share of Epis). My 60s Tribute is just south of perfect...missing binding and I'm a binding whore. :-) I might pick up one of these second hand. Anybody know if these are limited runs or not?

CATMANDUE likes this.
  10. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to ETSG Hammer! :) :) :)

11. Hammer

Hammer Well-Known Member

[quote author=Six String link=topic=21697.msg260536#msg260536 date=1310176455]
    Welcome to ETSG Hammer! :) :) :)
    [/quote]

Thank you, thank you. Long time lurker & SG-aholic. I'll have to do a proper introduction later...I just saw this one on the front page and ohh'd and ahh'd my way into posting. :D

12. happy_tom

happy_tom Active Member

Allright, so for now only 2 stores in EU are collecting pre-orders, and they're 300 pounds, and 300€ respectively. That's a fair price, I'd say. No reason to charge more than 50% of a gibby.

They are limited run, but with epi's limited runs... I'm pretty sure they won't run out.
    It says they're supposed to be in stock around September 10th :p
    I can't wait that long. I.... Need.... SG.... now...

That's allright, gotta save up some dough first. Maybe I should sell my G400 or me Squier cyclone? Naaah.... :)

13. Roscoe

Roscoe New Member

I just couldn't get excited about the one unpacked for me last week at Sam Ash. I was all giddy to see it and play it
    but as soon as I got it in my hands, I felt like I was holding a toy. It was light and small...looked just like another regular G-400 all poly'd up and thrown in a box. It really felt like nothing special. No Wow effect
    Hopefully the TV yellow version will set me ablaze as I just didn't care for the poly-cherry version.

14. Rob H.

Rob H. Member

I looked at a few recently. The body is beveled deeper than other Epis but differently than a Gibson, and something looks funny around the horns and neck joint. Super lightweight, slim D profile and yellowed binding. Cool guitars but if I were looking at P90s I'd go for a black 60s Tribute and as far as Epi SGs go I'm happy with the cookie cutter bevels on my G400 Custom

15. happy_tom

happy_tom Active Member

Anybody knows what's going on with white ones? At least in EU?

Others have been available for a while now, but they just keep postponing the alpine white ones... Epected delivery @ Thomann has now been moved from ealy november right up to Dec 14th >:( >:( >:(
    I want one... now!

16. SG Lou

SG Lou Moderator Staff Member

[quote author=suicidehummer link=topic=21697.msg260317#msg260317 date=1308779365]
    Damn... pop in some Gibson P90s and that would be a sweet cheap axe...
    [/quote]

HELL YEAH ! the Cherry finished one looks SWEET ! :Droolin:

17. happy_tom

happy_tom Active Member

yeah, just ordered one... 8)
    Now we'll see. I always say: As long as it looks good; everything else can be upgraded &fixed...

18. crippe

crippe Member

It looks sweet and it is the kind of SG I have been waiting for Epi to produce. I am getting one for sure, I just hope the slim neck isn't too flimsy.

19. mrk

mrk Active Member

I played one of these at a GC in Huntsville, AL a couple of weeks ago. I was... underwhelmed. I really wanted this to be a great little budget guitar. It just felt cheap. Sound was what I expected from Epi P90s, I was prepared to replace the pickups anyway if I pulled the trigger. I've owned several Epi SGs, and this one didn't feel right. Hoping that I just got my hands on a lemon. I'm now considering replacing the whatever-the-hell-it-actually-is pickup in my '72 SG I with a P90.

MRK

20. happy_tom

happy_tom Active Member

[quote author=crippe link=topic=21697.msg264146#msg264146 date=1327386121]
    I just hope the slim neck isn't too flimsy.
    [/quote]

In what way do you mean that? If you mean the 'tremolo bar' effect, I can tell you the neck stability is just about the same as any other SG (epi OR gibson) I played. I personally love the neck, it's just what I was hoping for. Pretty close to 61 RI profile I'd say, perhaps a bit narrower @ the nut...

As far as quality goes, I've written about it in the other post, but yeah, the only thing that didn't really blow me away (but not really dissapoint me either) are the pickups:
    Compared to 2 pickup 'extremes' HB / S. coil, all other Gibson P90 guitars I played sound much closer to humbuckers (namely, like a rawer version of classic 57s),
    whilst epi actually sounds more 'single coil-ish', although still with way more balls & low end than, say, a classic strat...

@mrk: too bad, I really wonder... perhaps you really just got a lemon; but then again, I believe that if someone has been playing high quality instruments for many years, they probably won't be all that impressed with this one... ;)
    Mine runs laps around my g400 - except perhaps a detail or two.

Both had their electronics upgraded - it made a difference, but more so on the G400 than the '61 special.
    And both could use a pickup upgrade,
    but when I run'em through a good tube amp, they sound great as they are, so it can wait... :coolsmiley: