New Epiphone 1961 Special

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by The Refugee, Jun 22, 2011.

1. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

[quote author=mrk link=topic=21697.msg264149#msg264149 date=1327439159]
    I played one of these at a GC in Huntsville, AL a couple of weeks ago. I was... underwhelmed. I really wanted this to be a great little budget guitar. It just felt cheap.
    MRK
    [/quote]

GC...hmmm..was the guitar as poorly set up as usual? I recently tried to try a bunch of Epis and Gibsons at a GC but most were barely playable, much less being "underwhelming" in their plastic-y feel.

2. mrk

mrk Active Member

[quote author=dbb link=topic=21697.msg264152#msg264152 date=1327455380]
    GC...hmmm..was the guitar as poorly set up as usual? I recently tried to try a bunch of Epis and Gibsons at a GC but most were barely playable, much less being "underwhelming" in their plastic-y feel.
    [/quote]
    Yes, the setup was marginal at best, but apart from that it felt like a toy.

MRK

3. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

[quote author=mrk link=topic=21697.msg264153#msg264153 date=1327458150]
    Yes, the setup was marginal at best, but apart from that it felt like a toy.

MRK
    [/quote]

Yeah, apart from the lack of attention to set-up, what was with the new stuff feeling so much, as you say, "like a toy"? I'm sure I could work with many of the guitars I pulled off the rack and held long enough to know that the nut, bridge and what-all were not right yet, and maybe after a few minutes on a bench I could get them to play well enough to get an idea of the sound.

Yet I'm struck by the odd feel of the new guitars. They did seem somehow cheap, even things I've heard great stuff about like the upper end Epi semi-hollow 335 copies. I was going to buy (on another thread we would point out I could write ' gonna buy' ) one but I was as y'all say, underwhelmed.

Anyway, I'm happy about anyone and everyone on the board that has an Epi is pleased with it. I've played some, like a few years old Les Paul copy, that were very nice so I know how good they can be.

4. crippe

crippe Member

[quote author=happy_tom link=topic=21697.msg264150#msg264150 date=1327440863]
    In what way do you mean that? If you mean the 'tremolo bar' effect, I can tell you the neck stability is just about the same as any other SG (epi OR gibson) I played.[/quote]

Yes the tremolo effect. Many moons ago I briefly owned a faded G400 (first run with the neck binding) but I had to return it because of the flimsy neck. I hope you are right but since this guitar is so inexpensive I will probably keep it even if there is some tremolo going on. I am getting the yellow one, will post back here as soon as I get it.

5. Bliggick

Bliggick Member

Hi. I picked up one of these baby's in black at a western Canada Long & McQuade about three weeks ago in an attempt to pacify me while waiting for a 50th Anniversary Pete Townshend that's been back-ordered since August. For the money (under $400 Canadian) it's a well built guitar. I don't really have to "fix" anything on it and I'm still debating if I'll sink money into upgrading it or just leave it as is because I've already gigged with it and had no problems except one that seems to bother me and no one else seems to mention: Why do all Epiphones I see have tiny fret marker dots along the binding? This would cost next to nothing for them to fix and it would make their guitars more historically accurate. I've actually taken 2 Guild electrics, a Danelectro and an Epiphone '57 LP Jr. RI to my local luthier to have these dots enlarged because some of my regular gigs are so dim and my eyes aren't what they used to be. Other than that, sometimes I forget I'm playing on a budget guitar. The bevels on the front going up to the horns also look a little weird on mine if you look at them from a certain angle, and there is a bit of lift on the pickguard edge between the fretboard and the neck pickup, but these things I can live with. I'll try to get some pictures up soon.

6. SG Lou

SG Lou Moderator Staff Member

Not a bad SG clone for the price !

7. The Refugee

The Refugee New Member

Not at all! And with P90s? My heart sinks that I wasn't able to get one :wow:

8. crawlingkingsnake

crawlingkingsnake New Member

I bought mine 3 weeks ago. I Have upgraded the pots, and replaced the strings on it. Through my Blues Jr it sounds great for the money. I play older Rock & Roll i.e The Doors, Zeppelin, Cream, CCR etc. And this is all I can ask for out of a $400 guitar. The setup and the intonation was almost right on the money out of the box. I would recommend it to anyone that is looking for a cheap good made vintage sounding guitar. Its one of my guitars that I hope my son doesnt try claiming.