New Epiphone SG Special owner

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by Frimpit, May 20, 2020.

1. Frimpit

Frimpit New Member

Hi all. I'm an experienced guitarist, but new to SG's. Always loved the sound and glad to finally have one. I just purchased the Epiphone Pelham Blue SG Special with the P-90's and got it yesterday. Fantastic sounding guitar, but there seems to be an issue with the neck. You see, the low-E side of the fretboard is quite a bit lower than the high E side, which is basically opposite of every other guitar I own. This necessitates having to screw the lightning bridge post, on the Low E side, as far as it can go to achieve a decent action of about 2mm at 12th fret. Meanwhile, the high E side sits a quarter of an inch higher (that side is set at 1.8 mm string height), creating a weird backward angle on the bridge, in order to mimic the angle of how the neck was attached to the body. Hopefully you can see it in the photo. Now, the action isn't bad, but it doesnt leave any room for adjustment and the low E string is quite buzzy on any fret (the other strings are not too bad) not to mention how the weird angle might cause other problems over time. Considering whether I need to return this guitar or if this is just a normal build for an Epiphone SG Special. I would be very thankful with any answers that can be provided. woooo.JPG

TheSandman likes this.
  2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

You can expect a small angle, but I've never seen an Epiphone like that before. If the bridge is bottomed out on the bass side it should go back. You need room for adjustment.

Frimpit likes this.
  3. Frimpit

Frimpit New Member

That's what I guessed. Thank you so much for your response, donepearce.

4. dub-setter

dub-setter Well-Known Member

strange...

who did set up this one....:shock:
    (maybe it just need a good set up)

what happen if you lower the high e side down and raise the
    low e up??

Frimpit likes this.
  5. Frimpit

Frimpit New Member

Hi dub-setter, well, I could do that, but then the action would be buzzing like crazy on high E-side (the high E string is already only 1.8 mm away from the fretboard at 12 fret with the setup you can see in that photo). If I raise the low E side up any, the action becomes a little high for lead work (at least for me). Again, in the photo as you see it, the action is 2 mm low E at 12th fret and 1.8 mm high E at 12th fret. That's a fairly standard lead guitar setup. I did the setup myself. Admittedly, I am not a professional at setting up, but I do know there are limitations when the neck, especially a glued or set neck, has been improperly attached. I'd be interested to know if there are others who could show the angle of the neck, where it meets the body, as I have shown it. So far, none of my own guitars, or guitars of friends, ever show the treble side of the neck being higher than the bass side, where it meets the body. Perhaps I have a unique and, indeed, "special" SG? lol

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  6. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

It seems, from looking at the binding in the first pic, that the bridge reflects how the neck is set or radiused. If that's the case I'd say its unacceptable. If you bought it new, send it back.

dub-setter and Frimpit like this.
  7. Frimpit

Frimpit New Member

Hi Von Trapp, YES, I think you nailed it! See, if you view in person, the neck appears to have been put on the body straight in viewing from the headstock towards the body, but that top angle shows otherwise. It's got to be a radius problem.

8. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

I had something similar on a used 2011 Epiphone '61 SG Reissue. I ended up countersinking the bushing heads flush to the surface to get it to work. Then it was OK. You shouldn't have to do that on a new guitar though. Send it back.

Bridge.jpg

9. Frimpit

Frimpit New Member

One thing I must mention is, at this action, which is my typical setup, this particular guitar plays better than any guitar I've ever played. This includes a 1980 Les Paul Standard. This is truly a dilemma, lol.

10. Frimpit

Frimpit New Member

That's what I would likely have to do if the guitar changes shape over time. Thanks for the pic. You did a nice job with the fix.

11. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

Short term vs. long term? Always a dilemma. I'd look at this long term and know that this is the best it is ever going to play. The tension of the strings will inevitably lead to creep of the whole guitar, only some of which you can compensate with the truss rod.

Frimpit likes this.
  12. dub-setter

dub-setter Well-Known Member

okay..
    maybe set up the neck /more relief could be an option.
    as this one is bought new i also recommend to send it back.
    (get another one of the same model)

Frimpit likes this.
  13. mrboosh

mrboosh New Member

I’m a bit late to the party - but mine arrived today... and seems like a real nice player (apart from the rubbish strings and super high action - nothing that can’t be sorted soon enough)... also it’s a very different colour to the pictures online with a almost green hue; I love it though.

Picture below for you of the fretboard end, so you can compare.

Attached Files:

14. Frimpit

Frimpit New Member

Thanks Mr. Boosh! I got a replacement and the neck looks much more like yours now. Congrats on your new SG and thanks for posting!!

mrboosh likes this.