New fan of slim-taper neck profile...

Snake Plissken

Reaction score
Last time I had a slim-taper neck on an SG was when I picked up a 2013 Standard when GC was blowing them out. Beautiful guitar, spec'd really nice, 57 Classics, etc. Only problem was I could not get along with the neck. Felt like it was made out of rubber, and would go sharp/flat when the wind blew. After that SG I swore off slim-taper necks and always bought SG's with more substantial necks. The SG Classics I've owned have had substantially chunky necks as well as the 2008 Standard I used to own.

But I recently picked up a 2019 '61 Standard and was pleasantly surprised by this guitar enough to buy it, despite the slim-taper neck. It's a really comfortable, fast and fluid neck and have not been able to put this guitar down. I did A/B it side by side to another 61" Standard and the necks were noticeably different. The one I ended up taking home gets noticeably more substantial as you go up the neck and it's very stable, nothing like the neck on that 2013 of the past.

Last edited:

lcw

Reaction score
I agree... I'm quite smitten with the slim taper profile on my 2022 '61. I can now reach frets that were a bit more of a stretch on my Les Paul and even my Am Pro II Strat. Wicked "fast" neck as they say. Makes playing effortless. I have short stubby fingers so the slim taper is definitely a plus for me. I could see someone with larger hands not liking it as much though.

Westernrider

Reaction score
Interesting, "Last time I had a slim-taper neck on an SG was when I picked up a 2013 Standard when GC was blowing them out."

First, there is a technicality that should be pointed out, to my knowledge, Gibson staff hand finish all neck profiles and this causes unit by unit variation.

Sitting here 9 years in the future, I'm wondering where are the 2013 SG Standards with the thin taper necks are hiding.

Some day I'll need to post pictures. I've bought two new 2013 SG's - one from the second manufacturing run and the last run. Both guitars are incredible, and both necks have some heft in them as compared to a classic slim taper. I've got shorter fingers, so I have to be picky when selecting a guitar for purchase. The later SG's neck is barely slightly narrower than the first run. I would consider both of these guitars as having a fatter C profile.

And yes, I'm familiar with the slim taper neck, as that is the first requirement that I need in a Gibson. I've got two LP's and two other SG's that have Slim Taper Necks.

To Snake Plissken, feel that you were fortunate to get a chance to try that guitar. And congratulations on finding another SG that suits your needs.

Snake Plissken

Reaction score
Interesting, "Last time I had a slim-taper neck on an SG was when I picked up a 2013 Standard when GC was blowing them out."

First, there is a technicality that should be pointed out, to my knowledge, Gibson staff hand finish all neck profiles and this causes unit by unit variation.

Sitting here 9 years in the future, I'm wondering where are the 2013 SG Standards with the thin taper necks are hiding.

Some day I'll need to post pictures. I've bought two new 2013 SG's - one from the second manufacturing run and the last run. Both guitars are incredible, and both necks have some heft in them as compared to a classic slim taper. I've got shorter fingers, so I have to be picky when selecting a guitar for purchase. The later SG's neck is barely slightly narrower than the first run. I would consider both of these guitars as having a fatter C profile.

And yes, I'm familiar with the slim taper neck, as that is the first requirement that I need in a Gibson. I've got two LP's and two other SG's that have Slim Taper Necks.

To Snake Plissken, feel that you were fortunate to get a chance to try that guitar. And congratulations on finding another SG that suits your needs.
The 2013 Standard I had definitely had a thin profile from to back. Way back in the 90's I had an "All American" (remember those?), and later on a 2008 Standard which had a neck way more substantial than the 2013. I've also owned three SG Classics and those all had very substantial necks, the fattest of all the guitar mentioned, with the 2013 Standard being the thinnest.

Sootio

Reaction score
I've got a Classic and a 2013 Standard and love both of them, but the neck on the Standard is my fave. I just think of it as user friendly.

Westernrider

Reaction score
The 2013 Standard I had definitely had a thin profile from to back. Way back in the 90's I had an "All American" (remember those?), and later on a 2008 Standard which had a neck way more substantial than the 2013. I've also owned three SG Classics and those all had very substantial necks, the fattest of all the guitar mentioned, with the 2013 Standard being the thinnest.
I'm not doubting you in any way. Interesting changes to guitars have come off the Gibson assembly line over the years.
I'm just seriously wondering why I didn't come across any Standards with a thin taper neck that year when I was in the market for one.

edubfromktown

Reaction score
I had one on a '76 SG... sold it after 25 years and have no regrets. The wider/flatter neck on my 1980 SG-R1 is definitely an improvement.

The '76 was a super nice looking guitar that just did not want to stay in tune (even after a couple of pro setups).

lcw

Reaction score
Finally measured the neck thickness on my 61 Std.

I love it and never felt more comfortable with a neck.

1st: .770
12th: .900

E9EE56F3-158A-4671-940B-6500257CE9AF.jpeg

0BF35BE3-B76B-4C46-8187-E76D17F62763.jpeg

Latest posts