New GIBSON CUSTOM SHOP 1964 SG STANDARD REISSUE W/MAESTRO VIBROLA

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by staf, Nov 5, 2020.

1. staf

staf New Member

Have now done the test with the wall as it should be(with an amp, first time was only accoustic) ,and now everything is as it should be .
    So it's a resonance problem...I don't want a fat finger on the head stock but maybe it helps change out the bridge for steel or aluminum..
    Have someone has already done that ?
    Thanx.

2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, new hearing aid project - exciting
    The resonance is the whole guitar. Changing the bridge does nothing, and weighting the headstock just shifts the problem to another note. You will learn to live with this - it's just a part of the guitar.

3. Darryl Fisher

Darryl Fisher Member

(...at pic...)...>WHOOT-WHOO!!!
    BEE-YOO-TEE-FULL!
    Nice axe...I hope all gets worked out!

4. staf

staf New Member

Another question : is the new reissue 1964 sg plekke'd?....Thanx.

5. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Although not without sometime success... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Harrison

6. donepearce

Harrison is one of my personal heroes. Lignum Vitae was the wood of choice back then - tough as old boots and self lubricating (which mean you couldn't glue it). But come on guitar makers. Take the plunge, hire the appropriate experts and mould guitars from something stable.

7. Von Trapp

Some highlander did, man if I could get my hands on one of those! Check out the frets!

http://www.tuneyoursound.com/collection/bond-electraglide-1985

8. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

I used to own one of those... great recording guitar, but a bit of a pain for gigging with it's unique cable. I ended up trading it when I wanted a back up Strat for gigging.

A dealer in the UK was trying to sell a pair of them at £2,000 a few years ago. I might've regretted trading mine if they'd fetched that much, but last I saw there was just one, with a second discount down to £700. Still quite high, but not bad from a dealer.

9. Von Trapp

Yes, clearly a novelty item but I covet it! Some dude wrote a paper on it which I ordered in order to get the measurements. Aiming to make a fretboard like that. Any impressions on the playability?

10. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

I must've traded that guitar around 1988, so it's a fading memory now.... :(

But as I recall, it took a while to get used to the feel of the fretboard, but once you did, it wasn't at all difficult to swap between that and a conventional guitar. I did really like the feel of it, and used it a lot on demos the band were doing - it did have a great tonal range, as I remember it, especially some 'out of phase' type sounds. There were a few 'big names' at the time who used Electraglides, from the Edge to Micky Jones.

I certainly liked it a lot, and probably would've kept it, but really needed a second Strat for gigging and had to trade something. The Electraglide had a high enough value for a straight trade, and I did have some niggling concerns about keeping it in working order, from the unusual electronics through to a worn fretboard. The latter were very durable, but I think some of them are now badly worn and obviously a refret it out of the question!

11. Von Trapp

Thanks! Yes, I think all that complicated stuff just makes it more prone to have sh1t break down after a while. I usually like my things simple, even like having a strat and an SG instead of that silly coilsplit, but in this case it's the ridiculous complication of things that makes it so hilarious I just have to have one, more as a joke than anything else. Also want a Firebird X for the same reason... But that fretboard though! Genius!

12. sekoya

sekoya Member

Tried one today, it sounded and played really good and the neck was a nice round chunky C
    which I really like , saw the guts and there was two .022 black PIO's ,
    one thing I wonder though is if the volume pots are Audio or Linear , anyone knows ?

13. skelt101

skelt101 Active Member

Audio Taper.

14. sekoya

sekoya Member

Thank you !

skelt101 likes this.
  15. PauloQS

PauloQS Member

Yes they are.

16. Spiral

Spiral Member

I noticed it doesn't do it in lower tunings. Much more noticeable in standard tuning. I tune mine in Eb and C# and it's less dead on the 11th fret.

17. sekoya

sekoya Member

Another question I have is that when I dialed the tone knob down on the bridge,
    it had an organic vocal vomitting wah sound similar to the 1969 P90 SG I had ,
    anyone knows if those black PIO caps have some kind of special mojo
    or it's a combination of everything working well together ?

18. donepearce

No idea what organic vocal vomitting wahs might sound like, so - huh? But cap types make no difference, only the value.

sekoya likes this.
  19. sekoya

sekoya Member

Haha ! me and my stupid words ! :rofl:

20. JACK N HILL

JACK N HILL Member

Interesting.I checked my SG's for dead spots, vanishing notes, deteriorated sustain on every string @ every fret ......and I found not a single problem.

as long as when you capo the strings @ 3rd fret: all strings must clear the 1st Fret, if they do.... prolly not the NUT (strings must be close but not touching when doing the 'Tap Test'). if the action is between 4-6/64ths at the 12Th fret, its not the string action.Did you set the Neck Relief ? Close it down to .006" @ the 8TH Fret...

When GIBSON USA started using the 24 3/4" scale, IDK the date but it wasn't any time this century..... it was in-correct. IIRC, it was Pythagoras 'The Rule of 18' about how the musical scale appears on stringed instruments that was not correctly adhered to by GIBSON (someone made a mathematical error?) from the start of their production. Gibson has never adressed the error and over the years, from what I have heard Luthiers grumbling about , this is the root cause of the problems on the 'G' string that have supposedly plagued the GIBSON 'Short Scale' Guitar. How true it is, IDK....but my Gibsons do what they were designed to do.

Personally I have found that a properly cut Nut is key to getting a Gibson to intonate correctly, not just at the 12th fret harmonically, but also to get open 'A's 'D's and 'E's to be neither sharp nor flat, but dead on ringing correctly in tune in the 2nd octave. The problem you mentioned, FIIK, a bad 11th Fret ?

sekoya likes this.