new Gibson model?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Strange Brew, Nov 18, 2012.

1. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I use a volume pedal almost all the time, mostly for swells and such, but if my rig is noisy between tunes I am so trained to just hit the volume pedal that P90 or Fender hum doesn't bother me much; also I am rarely playing very loud in the small places I gig. Plus my basic amp setting is very clean.

I would assume the hum issue is worse if I was playing louder and using a more distorted or higher gain tone.

One wonders why Gibson doesn't do what Carvin does, and offer options on most models. You don't like p90's in that ES-330, then have some humbuckers.

But as you say, no, Gibson is doing its usual thing.

And yes, that's what the humbucker was invented for- although I like the tone too.

2. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

Ya Dave I wish it was different for me because when I first try a great sounding P-90 it really is exciting to play. Like you might have guessed I'm kind of a straight forward rocker with a little grit from a pedal or two pumped into an otherwise clean sounding 70s Marshall & Fender Bandmaster into a 4x12 stereo cab.

I don't know why that hum from a P-90 has irritated me so over the years but heres the funny part thats says it all for me. I own around 30 guitars & not one has a P-90. The closest I got is a Gibson BR9 lap steel with a rewound pup by Lindy Fralin. Maybe my Fender 8 string pedal steel fits the description kinda sorta but not one straight up electric 6 string with a P-90.

The more I think about that, the more I'm startin to feel like I need to get over this issue I have with the P-90 and get a nice sounding vintage SG with P-90s in it then, lock myself in the cabin with it over the winter until we come to an understanding with each other come spring. It just ain't right Dave. Why should my attitude toward P-90 hum allow me to deny myself the pleasure I get out of them every time I pick a guitar with a P-90 in it. I guess I'm just afraid of being mad at myself afterward. Thats why it has to be a vintage Gibson. That alone will keep me lovin it 4 evah. lol. Thanks for listenin bud. I think I talked myself through this. I'll be sure to post when I find that old Gibby with the P-90. Rock n Roll.

3. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I wonder if its both the volume and frequency of the p90 hum that bothers you?

MMMM, Fender steel guitars!

4. Relic61

5. GTSG

GTSG Active Member

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  6. GTSG

GTSG Active Member

I know did they get scarce all of a sudden or what.

Something will be back out, here's the thing, I hear the 356 is being dropped also. That leaves no solid wood body electric with F-Holes. I imagine we'll see something else to fill that void, if the Midtown doesn't return in a new version down the road I'll be surprised. Its an amazing sounding piece.

7. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

Re humm in P90 guitars... I guess it depends alot on the amp you are running thru but with a good tube amp, that humm is hardly noticable at all when playing at volume. I only hear the P90 humm between songs and even then it is just a slight humm. The tradeoff is that sweet sounding tone the P90 makes thru the tube amp. Just can't get that same sound with a humbucker.

8. GTSG

GTSG Active Member

Yes they do sound special. Especially through the right amp. What are you playing through?

9. Relic61

Yea you are right ORF. As mentioned, out of around 30 gtrs, not one has a P-90. Its just not right & needs to be fixed no doubt. Borderline inexcusable!

Speaking of great tube amps, I had taken my 73 Marshall out of the truck (so the dog could ride) & totally showed up for band practice without my amp! derrr! lol. Well as chance would have it the drummer drags an old Traynor Bass Mate from out the back. EL 34s, one volume, treble & bass knob. I haven't enjoyed an amp that much since I can remember. I could not believe the overdrive and saturation I could get by turning my volume up and then down to clean things up getting a slinky funk tone. Wow! It has less volume, tightness & clarity than the Marshall even though they used the same tubes. All I know is I had 3 hours of pure fun playing everything from funk to overdriven Deep Purple through that amp. Plus it was all recorder on a Zoom h4n so I can enjoy that amp over n over again. Yee Haw! Bring on the P-90s!

10. PeteR

PeteR Active Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :wave:
    US streetprice is 1400 USD

11. Relic61

Well thats a little better but where can you get it & what exactly are they calling it? The N 225 or wth?

I'd think about one if it weren't for that stupid P-90 idea. Me and antiquated hum don't get along. Thank God for Seth Lover man.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  12. PeteR

PeteR Active Member

Gibson N-225 Electric Guitar Specifications

• Body: Chambered Maple, New split diamond F-holes
    • Neck: Maple, 60’s Slim Profile, Split Diamond headstock inlay
    • Fingerboard: Rosewood, Block Inlays
    • Hardware: Black Chrome short block Lyre tailpiece
    • Electronics: P-90 – New Dirty Fingers+ pickup with coil tap
    • Plastics: Black
    • Case: Premium Gig Bag
    Gibson N-225 Electric Guitar with Gigbag at AMS

13. GTSG

GTSG Active Member

Interesting.

14. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

How about if they fitted it with a P-100? Y'know, the P-90 lookalike with two hum-cancelling coils? :hmm:

Relic61 likes this.
  15. Relic61

Ya know Java, that would take using your frickin head. Who the F^@$ is running things when Gibsons own web site does not have a write up on this guitar nor has the company released a press release to pump up excitement & potential buyers. I think they have expectations of failure but are releasing it for whatever obligatory reason. The business end of this company is totally unpredictable & irrational at times.

A new guitar with a new design & no info on the companys web site? Yet its for sale at AMS & Sears.com? That is one big WTF Batman! My guess is there is some inter company dynamics, personal posostioning or politics behind this Cluster F*@#. The first dramatic new design since I cant remember & the company has no press release or info on their web site? I just cant wrap my mind around that. It seems stupid, unorganized & totally like they dont have S#!T together. Dammit my love hate thang for Gibson continues.

Here is AMS's overview to accompany the specs provided by PeteR

Gibson N-225 Electric Guitar with Gigbag

The Gibson N-225 Electric Guitar is an all new Gibson design that is for guitarists who want to stand out! The striking looks aren’t all this axe is about though. A P-90 pickup in the neck and Dirty Fingers Plus pickup in the bridge with coil tapping provides a huge array of sounds that can handle anything from country to blues to heavy metal.

The unique double cutaway chambered Maple body with split diamond F-holes is a new design from Gibson that will turn some heads and provide great playing comfort. A short Lyre tailpiece gives the N-225 guitar a vintage vibe that is loads of fun to play with!

16. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Any idea of the weight?

17. Kalamazuu

Kalamazuu Member

I saw this on MLP, and pretty much any info I found was from PeteR over there.
    I was searching for some more info when I came over hear.
    I do really like it, and I would like to respectfully remind everyone, that while they make these, and any other new guitar, which often times looks terrible, I'll agree, they will always still be making the Les Paul, SG, 335, etc. The creation of this and other designs won't limit or take away from the classic models, in turn I think it will only bring more business to Gibson that otherwise may have gone to other companies.

18. Relic61

Still, no press release and no mention of anything on Gibsons official website. WTF!

Yet here they are for sale on AMS, oh & Sears! lol. How does AMS & Sears swing that exclusive deal? Just weird man. Weird I tell ya.

19. PeteR

PeteR Active Member

They are on 'pre order' without a date

To my knowledge they will be officially announced at NAMM in Jan 2013

20. Relic61

Dont ask me how this got posted twice. After finding out, I deleted this one and left the second which was further edited for your enjoyment.