new Gibson model?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Strange Brew, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

So thats how it works. You take pre-orders before the guitar is released & without official acknowledgment that the guitar exists on your website. Perfect Gibson sense. And then everyone will be surprised at NAMM? Like they aren't selling theses F^@#ing things right now or taking orders & they don't officially exist yet until NAMM 2013. What make believe world is that PeteR.

Don't misunderstand me. I know you are simply relaying a message & I am a Gibson aficionado who is frustrated & disappointed by Gibson's mishandling of what could have been a great opportunity to publicize this really different guitar. I just don't get the whole head up yer arse way of doing business Secret Squirrel style. Taking pre-orders without an official acknowledgment is just too cat and mouse. I cant feed into the hype, play the game, go for the bait or even allow myself to be excited. Its almost like I would rather wait & watch what could have been a new & exciting design release fall on its face (just like Gibson expects) with the wide eyed stare of a motorist riding past a decapitation. Wow cool guitar. Is that blood?

Pardon the dramatization for entertainment trade off.

2. PeteR

PeteR Active Member

Taking pre-orders now isn't Gibsons fault - it is AMS

From my conversations with folks at Gibson-Customer-Service about similar things - they don't want to tell you anything about new guitars before they are announced.
    Usually they don't want stores to spread their secret things....
    Maybe its kind of a test - just to get how much to preorder their own quantity.

I like what I see - and wanna get more information...
    Never would preorder myself....
    Maybe I can get my hands on it at Musikmesse Frankfurt....
    Then I'll know if I have to get one - or not

3. Relic61

Yah PeteR, they look like a nice idea actually & I would love to see this line expanded further with more options for sure. This reminds me of back in the early 90's when Gibson came out with the M III & totally blew my mind. I ordered on through the local music store at the time (remember when you could do that?) I I've kept it all these years. Here's a pic below.

[​IMG]

I played this baby for years until I tired of the Floyd Rose lock down hassle but boy the tone & versatility of this guitar was hard to beat. Balls on humbucker tones and decent enough single coil mode as well. I was truly impressed with Gibsons attempt to modernize & looking at this guitar now it still impresses me.

I really hope this new N-225 isn't some flash in the pan and Gibson further developes its possibilities because this appeals to a whole other set of guitar players apart from the fixed bridge SG / LP crowd & could serve Gibson well if they are smart about things. I know that is asking a lot.

Anyway PeteR, thanks for understanding my dramatizing despite our language/culture challenges. I am happy that you took me the right way & found no offense in my words or humor. Thank you for your insight & clarification concerning this new guitar. Good luck at Musikmesse Frankfurt.

Hey for $#its & giggles, ask a Gibson rep about the two piece Mahogany fretboards. Make sure you have your boots on.

Kalamazuu, dbb, Biddlin and 1 other person like this.
  4. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Cool axe ! I heard one in Santa Cruz a few years back in an acid fusion band . Smooth driver on that neck pick-up with lots of fuzz !
    Biddlin ;>)/!

5. Kalamazuu

Kalamazuu Member

Hey Relic61, I wouldn't let the P-90 stop me from getting the guitar, there are the P100s, but I've never heard anything very good about those, but the new mini-humbuckers in the 70s tributes would fit the bill, they are very full sounding, and DiMarzio has a number of P-90 sized humbuckers that I have only heard good things about.:)

[​IMG]

6. Kalamazuu

Kalamazuu Member

And with the maple neck a volute would be cool, especially since it only comes with a gig-bag (for $1400, what the hell!)

7. PeteR

PeteR Active Member

Mini-Humbuckers and P90/100 aren't the same size.....AFAIK :hmm:

8. Relic61

Hey no offense if you happen to like the new mini-humbucker which is actually a redesigned cheaper made imitation of the original mini hums which actually kicked ass unlike the new ones that I find to be the Justin Beiber of pickups. Weak & plinky.

I cut my teeth playing the original mini-hums & can say that the early versions (patent sticker era) are truly magical.

[​IMG]

I have also owned the 70s SG Tribute and it sucked balls despite my trying everything I could do to like how it sounded. It's a long story thats already been relived on another thread here so I'll spare myself reliving the agony one more time. All that matters to me is I've tried them & I do not like them.

Secondly, I will not or should I say can not allowmyselfl to pay that kind of money for a new guitar and change the damed pickups. If Idon'tt like the pickups on a new guitar that costs over a thousand dollars, that guitar just is not for me!

I have to be true to myself. I like what I like & have been around way long enough to know what I like & what works for me that makes me happy.

Please pardon myrigidd opinion. I would rather be forward and understood that overly gracious to suggestions that wont work for me & be further misunderstood.

70s Tribute that sounded plinky & weak
    [​IMG]

77 Les Paul Deluxe that kicked the Tributes ass
    [​IMG]

Kalamazuu likes this.
  9. Biddlin

" I will not or should I say can not allowmyselfl to pay that kind of money for a new guitar and change the damed pickups."
    I'm with you there . My biggest beef with Fenders is the anemic stock p/us that "you can upgrade " to noiseless, ballsy or whatever . Why didn't you make them noiseless and ballsy to begin with ? Biddlin ;>)/

10. GTSG

GTSG Active Member

Why didn't they put the Fat-50s in ten years ago? I'm pretty sure the 60-CS-RI single coils are in but one Strat and can't be bought aftermarket also.

11. PeteR

PeteR Active Member

[​IMG]

:wow:

12. GTSG

GTSG Active Member

LOL. You been waiting on that guitar hey? I like it much better without the pinstripe.

13. PeteR

PeteR Active Member

GAS-o-meter is up to 11

[​IMG]

14. Kalamazuu

Kalamazuu Member

The pickups them selves are different sizes, that's why the minihums have the pickup rings, but they go in the same sized route.

15. Kalamazuu

Kalamazuu Member

(I just didn't want to have a monster quote in the middle of this)

I understand what you mean about changing the pups, for sure.

While the minis aren't my favorite pups, I don't have any beef with them, but admittedly I've never played the old minis. And I figured if I didn't like them I could throw some P90s in there, as I've never had a P90 guitar.

And what do you think of the minis from a few years ago in the deluxes, that had the screws sticking out of the cover like a normal mini, if you've tried them?

Thanks,
    Kzuu

16. Relic61

Those 2000 & later pups are different from the 60's - early 70's 'patent sticker' mini hums in that they are not microphonic like the originals were. The original minis were slightly microphonic. You could still play very loud but of course if you stood in from of a cranked up amp you would get a squeal. The beautiful thing about those pups is exactly because they were sightly microphonic, as you turned things up the sound became thicker with overtones & harmonics entering & embelishing the sound. Lead notes & power chords would morph into a multi layered note and chords would grow like an orchestra as the amp, guitar, pedals and volume interacted and became way more than the original note or chord could ever sound like on its own without those minis picking up those frequencies and reproducing that wonderfully magic sound experience that would often honestly just leave me feeling blown away & inspired.

Those original minis just feet like mojo magic, like they are alive. (and I hate using the word mojo but here it is simply appropriate) They do command significantly more money used than what they call the embossed patent number back mini humbuckers that replaced the patent sticker era pups in the early 70's. The minis that imediately replaced the Patent stickers minis are also slightly microphonic & very similar to the original if not different at all accept for that embossed back replacing the sticker. The real sonic change comes around in 2000 with a redesign that totally eliminates the microphonic quality previously found in the mini humbucker.

So if I had to define that eras mini hum that was redesigned around 2000, I would say they have a similar voicing but cant reproduce that live sensation & harmonic content of the early pat sticker minis because they are not microphonic and don't allow those overtones to come in through the pickup. So what you get is a solid representation of the mini hums string coverage & proportional magnetic field with no harmonic overtones being picked up & reproduced outside of what the strings themselves are producing through their vibration. These still had a strong output & produced a strong, clear tone with great individual string representation and had a certain jangle typified by the mini hums sized field of pickup & string reproduction.

So, it really breaks down to the early Patent Sticker minis sounding the liveliest due to microphonics and the next gen embossed minis maintaining similar qualities and the sound reproduction noticeably changing with the 2000 era redesign & eliminating microphonics from the pup then, we have the newest redesign which really changed the pieces inside the mini around using such things as steel blades & one alnico V magnet inside the pickup so it could be made cheaper. I hear the biggest difference in these pups to me is they sound the weakest out of any of the minis up to now despite Gibsons propaganda selling them as higher output. If you ever A/B'd them with an original you would be able tell instantly that the cheaper to make redesign is just a cheap imitation of what was once a magic, beautiful, inspiring & fun to play pickup that has been reduced to a thin plinky bridge sound & a muddy undefined neck sound.

Honestly, this has been my experience & sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who hasn't drank the Cool Aide. So, take my words for what they are worth & if you ever get the chance yourself to play these various incarnations of mini humbuckers, do yourself the favor and spend time getting to know them & come to your own conclusions. I do not see to many other guys like myself who've played & own the older mini humbucker Gibsons & who have played & owned the newer redesigned versions found in the 70s Tributes stepping forward to give any opinion. And, until you've played both and given both a fair shot, you just aren't qualified to give opinion about comparing them. Rest assured one should never blindly believe the self promotion of a company trying to sell their guitars. We have to let our own ears tell us what is best.

17. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

smells like a hoax...
    but then, maybe I'm a raving paranoid.

Favorite bumper sticker:
    THE FACT THAT YOU'RE PARANOID
    DOESN'T MEAN WE'RE NOT
    REALLY AFTER YOU

18. PeteR

PeteR Active Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8ikKegHk_4&feature=player_embedded"]Guitars and Gear Vol. 19 - Gibson N-225 Demo - YouTube[/ame]

GAS-o-meter went up to 12....

19. Iván

Iván Active Member

Maybe I'm going to burn in hell for saying this but I just don't like it at all... I don't know why though... but I'm quite sure I don't like it

20. Biddlin

Not to my aesthetic taste, either , but it sounds like it could be a killer lead axe for blues, with that pickup combo .
    Biddlin ;>)/