new Gibson SG Standard in white

oldrockfan

Reaction score
sweet looking SG and welcome to the forum! You get bonus points for leading with the great pictures!!

Frogfur

Reaction score
Thanks. Nice forum and i am a SG lover personally. The new bridge is on there because the ABR is a personal preference looks wise. But the nylon saddles are an up grade for me. I have them on my Les Paul standard as well. They produce a very even balanced sound.

The nylon saddles were stock fodder on many of the late fifties and early sixties Gibson guitars. They do not take away from the over all sound the guitar produces as one might imagine but enhance it by such a nice even sound from string to string and add a bit of warmth while retaining all the sparkle that we love from these guitars.

Frogfur

Reaction score
The Other SG

here is my little SG special with P-90s and a bigsby on it. What makes this fun is I always did like the plain jane Gibsons with the un-bound necks, sick screened logo and all that.

This one has a roller bridge as well. That really helps if you have a bigsby on your guitar. It also has a custom made manifold to mount the bigsby on which brings it up where you can actually use it and don't have to mount it to the body. This is not a vibramate but rather a totally custom made unit for this guitar.

sneakerpimp

Reaction score
Thanks. Nice forum and i am a SG lover personally. The new bridge is on there because the ABR is a personal preference looks wise. But the nylon saddles are an up grade for me. I have them on my Les Paul standard as well. They produce a very even balanced sound.

The nylon saddles were stock fodder on many of the late fifties and early sixties Gibson guitars. They do not take away from the over all sound the guitar produces as one might imagine but enhance it by such a nice even sound from string to string and add a bit of warmth while retaining all the sparkle that we love from these guitars.

only the ABR looks proper imo.

sgtbeefheart

Reaction score
It appears that I don't know what an ABR1 bridge looks like,
as I thought this was one,

SG13CWCH1-Finish-Shot-jpg.aspx

What am I missing?

Col Mustard

Reaction score
I believe that what Sarge shows is a "Nashville" bridge, which was invented later, maybe in the seventies when production moved there from Kalamazoo. I believe also that the "Nashville' variety was intended as an improvement, because the ABR-1 was developed in the fifties when everyone used heavy guage strings. The idea was to give more travel for the saddles, to adapt to different string guages... especially lighter ones.

The "Nashville' bridge came after the notorious 'Harmonica' bridge, which few of us here seem to approve of. I never had one of those, so I don't know why they get bad press, but what I've read seems to be related to the 'straight across' positioning of it on seventies guitars, which no one liked. And maybe they're just obtrusively too big, like seventies headstocks or something.

Anyway, welcome to ETSG, Frogfur and thanks for showing off your leftie guitars. Tell us if the saddles you use tend to break fewer strings.

Frogfur

Reaction score
It appears that I don't know what an ABR1 bridge looks like,
as I thought this was one,

SG13CWCH1-Finish-Shot-jpg.aspx

What am I missing?

What you have as what they have come with for years now is the "Nashville" bridge. They were developed as an improvement over the old ABR style bridges that Gibson used through the fifties and sixties. Most vintage Gibsons would have the ABR bridge. The difference you ask?..
about one thirty second of an in in adjustment range front to back. Not much.
Hope that helped you. Sweet guitar you have there buddy..

Frogfur

Reaction score
Ok kids, here is the newest update to my new SG. I have had the tenon cover engraved "Les Paul." The reason for this is that this is historically the way they came in 61-62. I know. I had one. Until around 63 Gibson still incorporated the Les Paul name to the then new SG guitars both stand and customs.

This was the final adjustment to mine to set it apart from others just like it and bring it closer to historically correct image. What you can't see in the pictures too well is that instead of the simple black plastic cover this one is two ply black/white so the edges are white as well and gives a very classy look to the cover. Now along with my new ABR nylon saddle bridge the conversion is complete. The only thing missing now is an Aluminum stop bar which was also stock back then.
Enjoy..

Latest posts