New Gibson USA Limited Edition Kirk Douglas Signature SG Custom

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by SG standard, Jan 19, 2021.

1. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

So they're bringing these back, but now in Inverness Green or Black. Pretty cool:
    [​IMG]

But no ebony for the fretboard, despite the Custom inlays... But now with a master volume on the pickguard.

At £2,200 they're not quite the bargain price of the last run, but I'm sure they'll still sell well.

EDIT: Here's the black version with gold hardware:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    Dale, No Talent, Bettyboo and 2 others like this.
  2. Neezduts89

Neezduts89 Member

That’s a very nice looking SG. I imagine I’d really like how the black version of it looks. I’ve always loved the look of a triple humbucker SG but I’ve never had the chance to play one. What is your opinion of them compared to the double humbucker SGs?

3. semka

semka New Member

It depends on your playing style, some aggressive players may see the middle pickup as a hinderance.

Neezduts89 likes this.
  4. Neezduts89

Neezduts89 Member

Good point. I was asking more from a tone standpoint, but I can see how the middle humbucker would possibly get in the way. That has been the biggest change I’ve had to get used to with my standard, the hums are a lot higher and the bridge is a lot higher in general compared to the guitars I was using before (Ibanez s series w/tremolo). It took me a little while to get used to that but I like and prefer the higher bridge and pickups now. I could definitely see the middle humb getting in the way at times on this guitar

5. SixStrRzr

SixStrRzr New Member

This new model has individual volumes (and coil splits) for each pickup. a Master Tone and a new Master Volume on the pickguard. If the middle pickup is in your way, you could "sink" it (adjust it lower into the body) and turn up it's volume control, while backing down the volume control of the bridge and neck pickups to balance all three relative to each other. I have one of the 2013 models, and that's what I did to get the middle pup out of the way.

Some believe that lowering pickups results in a minor loss of highs. I guess it would depend on the type/brand of pickup, but I've never noticed to be much of an issue for my style of playing.

6. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Very cool. I always love to see new batwing models. Rosewood doesn't bother me, but the extra knob definitely would.

Unless you have a treble bleed circuit, I would expect the opposite; for the neck and bridge to lose treble since you'd always have their volumes down.

7. Huntroll

Huntroll Active Member

I love everything about it . . .

Except the NIBS !

SG standard likes this.
  8. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Member

Love it. Might sell some stuff and get one...

9. DarkMartini

DarkMartini New Member

Looks like the new one is loaded with Burstbuckers rather than the 57 Classics on the run in 2013 (of which I am a proud owner). Sounds like a different neck profile too, modeled after his Epiphone Crestwood. Love that green. Tog-pot is gone and it has a volume for each pickup and a master tone in addition to the master volume. I dig how this setup allows one to split the middle pickup, which I can't do on mine.

10. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

Very nice guitar, very nice option - yes, I would (I might).

11. No Talent

No Talent New Member

Very cool guitars, the inverness green one looks especially tasty. I wonder if it will age like the older inverness green models? I always like the darker blue/green hue of the aged inverness green finish.

That is way more than I would want to pay for a guitar so I can only admire them from a distance.

12. laza616

laza616 Active Member

Hmmmm, the green one is really nice but the master volume knob on the batwing is kind of a turn down

13. Gibbo SG

Gibbo SG Active Member

I like the looks of it and also the fact that you can now get an SG Custom for under $5,000. That said, I own an ebony-fretboard SG Custom with 3 pivkups, so I may just sit this one out, although if I happen upon one locally, it's on, cash be damned.

14. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

The black one is killing me :shock:

Temp 4688.JPG

pancake81 likes this.
  15. PGSG

PGSG New Member

Both definitely have the "WOAH" factor all around. I personally have never owned a LP or SG custom so would love to look down and see block inlays and a split diamond headstock. I like these (and the 1st version one) BUT if Gibson did a run of the thunderstuck SG with a full batwing at $2500; I'd probably buy that before this.

...haha, but watch - I'll end up with the black one after tax refund.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    pancake81 likes this.
  16. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

Personally I think these are drop dead gorgeous. It’s interesting that the one thing that makes them unique is also what doesn’t rev me up though. The pot on the pickguard is hard for my traditional pea brain to accept. Not off putting by any means, but would take me a bit to become a custom to.

the rosewood board stands out more against the ebony

17. pancake81

I never understood why Gibson did that marketing strategy. Making two beautiful custom shop models is great, not too rich for most folks. You really have to be die hard fan and want to open the pocket book to make that happen.

the USA models are great, but why resize the lightening bolts, why use the half pickguard, why black...?
    I mean, I guess there has to be a difference to demand the Price of the custom shop..?

Maybe a better approach would have been to only do the aged signed custom shop, but the USA line should have been appointed properly.

PGSG likes this.
  18. Wild Bill212

Wild Bill212 Active Member

I thought about grabbin one of these 'Captain' SG''s. Not a 'ROOTS' fan, and not Late-Night w/JF fan either.
    but I hav 2 pass on this because even though the Guitar is supposed to be a Signature GIBSON USA Model, it has the Custom shop Split-Diamond headstock and 1st Fret In-Lay, just like a Custom would have, BUT, the In-Lays are not MOP.....and GIBSON says its a USA model.

Bottom line.....this one confused me! is it a Custom or a Standard ?

pancake81 likes this.
  19. pancake81

Some interesting comments there, and I must agree that you are spot on with your observations.

I would also add this though. There are other examples of USA line guitars being crowned with the split diamond. This has happened numerous times.

The waters got muddy on this when they created the Custom Shop. Which I believe now makes most of the custom appointed guitars. But prior to the custom shop, a custom was built of the USA line, its was just appointed like a custom (split diamond, block inlays, 1st feet marker, ebony board, etc). I’m having the “custom shop” now, it seemed odd for the USA line to make the guitar.

In regards to inlays material, I am not sure what to say. Historically you are right, they would have been MOP. But I have seen custom appointed with “perloid” so this is not the first case of that.

personally the lack of an ebony board bothers me more than which shop it was built in...

20. JackStraw

JackStraw New Member