New Gibson USA Limited Edition Kirk Douglas Signature SG Custom

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
I had one in the basket & went back to give a second look before paying & I'm glad I did.
That knob is a problem for me. It's situated right in the strum. I can forsee my hand whacking the **** out it while playing.
It's a great looking SG but that swell knob is an issue.

If you really love the guitar, you could just buy a replacement pickguard from Chandler (I recommend them) and leave the extra knob hidden under it, maybe taped in place so it doesn't rattle.

Bob Womack

Reaction score
Nah. Keep thinking of this one.
Kirk-Douglas-Dead-at-103-Mitzi-Gaynor-and-More-Stars.jpg

Bob

Go Nigel Go

Reaction score
Bob, that is exactly where my mind keeps going every time this thread pops up! :lol:

semka

Reaction score
Meanwhile, both colors of this have been discontinued by Gibson already. I was asked to help buying one for my friend and these are nowhere to be found while the used ones on Reverb command $3K+ prices. It seems that they followed in steps of the 2013 edition when they had only 400 pieces available worldwide. Congrats to those who were able to grab one (or two :)).

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
Meanwhile, both colors of this have been discontinued by Gibson already. I was asked to help buying one for my friend and these are nowhere to be found while the used ones on Reverb command $3K+ prices. It seems that they followed in steps of the 2013 edition when they had only 400 pieces available worldwide. Congrats to those who were able to grab one (or two :)).

Really? Wow, looks like you're right. The 2013 run was not actually limited to any specific number, it was just a short production run, and I suspect cut short because it was accidentally priced too low. That original run made no sense within Gibson's pricing structure. Having a '61 Reissue body and Custom style appointments, but coming in at only $100 more than the SG Standard, it seems like the price could only be explained as a mistake by Gibson.

So, the aftermarket appreciation in value made sense for the 2013 run, but I would not pay an inflated price for the 2021 unless you can't live without it. I suspect prices will come down as they struggle to get $3,000 for what is basically a gussied up Standard '61.

Last edited:

Greg Connor

Reaction score
I’m not much for black, but that one takes my breath away. Both guitars are absolutely stunning!

I have the original Kirk Douglas released a few years ago. That one is still my favorite but I could see the green ending up at my house too.

I think they might be sold out.

semka

Reaction score
That original KD is sweet except for its fragile togpot. Be careful with that one, Gibson has stopped making spares.

Latest posts