New Guitar Day

Hudman

Reaction score
Hello everybody!

I ordered a new Gibson SG Standard ‘61 online on June 6, 2020. It was scheduled to be delivered on June 9th. Unfortunately, FedEx managed to lose it. They gave me the runaround about it for 10 days before finally admitting they had no clue where my shipment was. The merchant shipped a replacement overnight Friday. It arrived safely on Saturday.

This is my first SG. I don’t know why I waited so long to come around to an SG. This thing is absolutely incredible.
It made me in a believer in Gibson’s new commitment to quality and improved craftsmanship.

It was built on 03/17-2020. They included a picture of it on the bench during final inspection. I could find no finish flaws. The fret work is excellent. The bridge is buzz free. The stock setup was surprisingly good. The action is low with no fret buzz or dead frets. It plays super smooth and easy. I could live with it without modifying anything. I plan to let it acclimate to my home for a few days before doing any fine tuning to the setup.

I’m very impressed with how great it sounds acoustically. It’s loud, resonate with nice sustain. The magic happens when I plug it in. The stock pickups sound full and responsive with excellent sustain. These may be my favorite humbucker pickups I ever owned. They did a nice job with the electronics. The pots are matched well to the pickups. They respond well to rolling down the volume and tone. You can go from an a melt your face crunch tone to a slightly dirty blues tone by rolling down the volume without sacrificing the quality of tone. It gives you a wide range of useful tones and dynamics.

A couple common complaints and concerns I’ve read about the new Gibson SG’s (and all other models as well):

Dry fretboard: My rosewood fretboard is a lighter shade of brown. It’s not dry. It’s very smooth to the touch. A dry fretboard tends to feel slightly rough and can show cracks. That’s not the case with mine. Rosewood can vary in color. I think many guitar players automatically assume the fretboard is dry if it’s a light color.

Bridge buzz: My bridge doesn’t buzz when played acoustically.

Fret end sprout: My frets are finished properly with no issues.

Binding issues: Some people report improperly installed binding and or off color bindings. My binding is cream in color and installed correctly.

Improperly cut nut slots: My slots are at the proper depth.

Tuning issues with stock tuners: I believe tuning issues are rarely due to the tuning machines. It’s usually caused by binding at the nut or poor stringing technique. The stock tuners feel solid. It stays in tune well.
YS3WoJs.jpg

Grizzlyman

Reaction score
Hello everybody!

I ordered a new Gibson SG Standard ‘61 online on June 6, 2020. It was scheduled to be delivered on June 9th. Unfortunately, FedEx managed to lose it. They gave me the runaround about it for 10 days before finally admitting they had no clue where my shipment was. The merchant shipped a replacement overnight Friday. It arrived safely on Saturday.

This is my first SG. I don’t know why I waited so long to come around to an SG. This thing is absolutely incredible.
It made me in a believer in Gibson’s new commitment to quality and improved craftsmanship.

It was built on 03/17-2020. They included a picture of it on the bench during final inspection. I could find no finish flaws. The fret work is excellent. The bridge is buzz free. The stock setup was surprisingly good. The action is low with no fret buzz or dead frets. It plays super smooth and easy. I could live with it without modifying anything. I plan to let it acclimate to my home for a few days before doing any fine tuning to the setup.

I’m very impressed with how great it sounds acoustically. It’s loud, resonate with nice sustain. The magic happens when I plug it in. The stock pickups sound full and responsive with excellent sustain. These may be my favorite humbucker pickups I ever owned. They did a nice job with the electronics. The pots are matched well to the pickups. They respond well to rolling down the volume and tone. You can go from an a melt your face crunch tone to a slightly dirty blues tone by rolling down the volume without sacrificing the quality of tone. It gives you a wide range of useful tones and dynamics.

A couple common complaints and concerns I’ve read about the new Gibson SG’s (and all other models as well):

Dry fretboard: My rosewood fretboard is a lighter shade of brown. It’s not dry. It’s very smooth to the touch. A dry fretboard tends to feel slightly rough and can show cracks. That’s not the case with mine. Rosewood can vary in color. I think many guitar players automatically assume the fretboard is dry if it’s a light color.

Bridge buzz: My bridge doesn’t buzz when played acoustically.

Fret end sprout: My frets are finished properly with no issues.

Binding issues: Some people report improperly installed binding and or off color bindings. My binding is cream in color and installed correctly.

Improperly cut nut slots: My slots are at the proper depth.

Tuning issues with stock tuners: I believe tuning issues are rarely due to the tuning machines. It’s usually caused by binding at the nut or poor stringing technique. The stock tuners feel solid. It stays in tune well.
YS3WoJs.jpg
Lovely guitar man, congrats!

Biddlin

Reaction score
Nice axe, congrats! And welcome to the hayride!

Biddlin

Reaction score
FedEx managed to lose it. They gave me the runaround about it for 10 days before finally admitting they had no clue where my shipment was.
Some driver got a nice axe to hide in his basement!:naughty: Nah, I'm sure it's sitting in a bin in Waukesha or Norman.

Robert Morris

Reaction score
Nice. I like the bevels and sharp horns - real essence of SG. Do they Plek that model?
Don’t believe the plek mumbo jumbo, mine had high frets (2019 standard 61). Just have a good luthier go over it. Nothing better than a talented set of human hands.

donepearce

Reaction score
London, new hearing aid project - exciting
Don’t believe the plek mumbo jumbo, mine had high frets (2019 standard 61). Just have a good luthier go over it. Nothing better than a talented set of human hands.

I have a Les Paul Traditional that came with Plek. The frets are of excellent height, and don't need any levelling. What they did need was crowning - they were all dead flat on top.

fos1

Reaction score
These new SGs make me want to visit guitar shops!

Very nice!

Hudman

Reaction score

Thanks for the advice. I’ve been doing my own guitar work since the late 1980’s. The frets are level. They did an awesome job. I’m sorry you had issues with your’s.

BenTobith

Reaction score

Yes, this. My 2020 Les Paul Standard had a very light brown rosewood fretboard. I immediately thought, “Oh no, the dryness!” But of course, it’s not dry at all. Just a different color. And now that I’ve done the oil treatment a few times, it’s just as dark as my SG’s fretboard. Looks great.

kongssund

Reaction score
Congrats with the guitar. Have the same, but a year older. Was looking for a nice dark board when searching for mine, just because i like the contrasts :)

sg.jpg

Corporal Scratchy

Reaction score
Congratulations! Great guitar and good to see you're so pleased with it.

I've had mine a full 2 months now and it's turning out to be one of the best SGs I've ever had. I agree/endorse all of the good points you highlighted regarding yours. Mine required minimal fiddling and I put a vintage style scratchplate on it for vanity/posing/aesthetic purposes.

Standard 61 Jun.jpg

GeorgeGR

Reaction score
Got mine few days back as well 2019 standard 61 reissue.. GORGEOUS guitar. thank God there was no crack or anything. its very playable and it sounds/smells/feels awesome. Only modify i'm going to make is strings changing into elixir.

Latest posts