New guitar day

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by purple dragon, Jun 30, 2020.

1. purple dragon

purple dragon Member

I have fore a long time wanted to try the 2020 epi line up and now i got some and i must say i am really Love them and hope epiphone dont start to cut corners.
    All 3 out of the box just needed to be tuned upp and they was ready to go.
    All 3 really resonate good and i feel the vibraction all up to the headstock.the paint feels diffrent like a middelground betwin nitro and poly.i guess they have change the formula or put thinner coast on.
    My ti custom did come with some issues it did miss the cerficate,the knob on the horn was damage and i guess the store did try to fix it but they did A poor job and it not In correct place.its also got some scratches and ressidue.other wise its AS good AS it can be.good feel on the neck etc.
    The lpc is just perfeck nothing more to say really
    The sg standard with vibrola is AS also AS good AS it gets.perfeck from the factory i have tried the vibrola and light dive bobs and still 4 days later In tune.only bad i have to say about it is the veenier.to me its not looking the best and i woued prefer it they did not add it and just keep it AS is with 3-5 pices its made off.to me that woued look better but that is just cosmetic and nitpicking because its a killer guitar In sound and feel.

Yes its got the wrong name/headstock and not the nitro finish and not made In USA but epiphone is making In my eyes some really gibson killers here and i just hope they keep at it.so people please keep playing your epiphone with pride

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Congrats and enjoy your new guitars. They all look great in the photo. I suspect the finish issues with the TI can be polished out.

purple dragon likes this.
  3. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

boooooom. quite a dangerous team, those are!

purple dragon likes this.
  4. purple dragon

purple dragon Member

Thank you.yes finish issues is a no problem i coued posseble polish it out or AS i orginale intended to refinish it In red.the wrong placment on the horn is also something i coued fix but since its missing all the paperwork i cant buy it at full price and it seems the seller just want me to return it,and i most likly will.just hope they dont want to try to sell it AS new again since its clearly a b stock that was returns.perhaps i shoued try to contack them again and Ask more direck wath they are willing to sell it fore if i want to keep it and buy a new one AS well,perhaps they will sell at a price i can acept.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  5. purple dragon

purple dragon Member

Thank you.yes it is if you add a p90 sg you more or less got the dream team.i am really Happy about this trio.

6. tolm

tolm Well-Known Member

Oooh - that white custom is lovely. New headstock shape looks GREAT with the binding, too.

7. Brian Kenny

Brian Kenny New Member

Nice trio

8. GraphX12

GraphX12 Member

Very nice NGD, dragon! As far as I’m concerned they have the RIGHT name/headstock.

Just curious: on the center guitar stand, what are you using on the upper and lower yokes to shield the guitar finish from the foam?

9. Stark Naked

Stark Naked Active Member

NGD. Ran across this Limited Edition Epiphone g-400 Maestro on Reverb and realized it might be my last chance to get an epi maestro sg that doesn't have that unusual looking veneer. Fortunately, the seller was within driving distance and I had the opportunity to examine it. The guitar was like new and the price very reasonable. It plays beautifully and I can't really think of a mod that would be an improvement.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  10. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Looks like a 2005 deluxe! I have the ebony version. One of my favorite SGs.

Stark Naked and Rusty Chops like this.
  11. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Lookin' good !
    What is the serial number on it ? It looks like an old Korean that was retrofitted with a Maestro. The 65 Maestro Reissue had a top veneer.
    http://www.epiphonewiki.org/index/SG.php#.2765_Maestro_Reissue_G-400

BTW, the Limited Edition Custom Shop tag on the headstock doesn't mean much. About 90% of all Epiphone from the last 2 decades have it. Marketing gimmick.

The Maestro Deluxe wasn't made in Cherry color.

Stark Naked likes this.
  12. Stark Naked

I think you might be right about the 2005. However the tremolo has Epiphone engraved on it. Also there are no holes where there might have been a stop tailpiece removed. It was a used guitar but the frets, finish and chrome look like it was never played. If there is a negative to this, it is that there was no case. Thanks for the great Epiphone link. I'll have to get back with a serial number.

13. Stark Naked

Your both right. I checked the numbers. It's a 2005 Unsung Korean. If you look closely the grain goes from the surface right down through the bevel. No veneer. You can also see where the planks are joined together.

14. Stark Naked

SS# U50736XX

Attached Files:

15. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

They started using veneer on G400 right about that time. Maybe they made that model during the transition phase and a few were made from the remaining bodies good enough not to be hidden. The transition theory applies to the trc too, as older Korean had one like on my 2003 Vintage SG.

19-09-13 headstock.jpg
    My 2004 Vintage has the more recent one.

151211-3.jpg

Stark Naked likes this.
  16. Stark Naked

Hey, thanks for shedding some light on what seemed to be a pretty good buy. i'm fairly isolated from all my old guitar bud's now. It's great to be able to share this kind of nonsense with people who hopefully aren't rolling their eyes.

Rusty Chops likes this.