New guitar, weird crack.... help

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by DelBoy-00, Jul 2, 2020.

1. DelBoy-00

DelBoy-00 Member

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  2. DelBoy-00

DelBoy-00 Member

3. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

That crack was already there when the guitar was painted - you can see by the way the paint folds over the edge. It may not actually be a crack as such, but more likely a poorly joined pair of boards that made up the multi-piece body. What you do about this depends on how much you paid. If you gave top dollar, return it. Otherwise learn to love it.

4. DelBoy-00

DelBoy-00 Member

5. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

That "crack" is where the neck tenon meets the neck pocket on the body. It's a set neck guitar.

Those solid finish colors are sprayed on heavy and sometimes the finish separates where two pieces of wood are glued together. Nothing to be concerned about. Play the guitar in good health.

The "CW" in your neck pup cavity is the finish color Classic White. The one pictured below has "CR" for Cream.

[​IMG]

arcticsg and SG standard like this.
  6. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

That's right. There's a guy with a YouTube channel called 'Trogly' - he's done tons of reviews of new and used Gibsons where he strips the guitar down, many of them show a gap there, and it's usually on that side of the tenon for some reason. He always comments that it's not a crack, not an issue, and not going to get worse: It just doesn't look good when you find it. But it is commonly found on Gibson guitars, and you can make what you want of that... :)

cerebral gasket likes this.
  7. DelBoy-00

DelBoy-00 Member

8. DelBoy-00

DelBoy-00 Member

9. tolm

tolm Well-Known Member

First “crack” is - as others have said - the gap between body and neck tenon. Ideally would be flush (and glued!!) but probably not a major issue if the other sides of the neck tenon are solidly glued in?

However, the second one on the heel (which I also don’t think is a crack per-se but a separation of the neck from the body) suggests to me that the neck may have been subject to some kind of “twisting” force. I’d expect that could have caused a slight shift, resulting in BOTH of these “separations” forming?

All of which, of course, IMO ... I am not a luthier and I’m just attempting to apply my own “logic” to the situation!!

10. DelBoy-00

DelBoy-00 Member

11. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

I'm not at all surprised, everything I'm seeing in your photographs is perfectly normal on a Gibson. I've seen photos of brand new Custom Shop Les Pauls costing £4,000 with a gap along the top edge of the tenon, just like the one you're seeing. That's how normal it is... It's how Gibson make guitars! (On the bright side, you know it's not a Chibson).

Cracks in the finish along the neck join are also very common, and are very visible on white finishes. It's much harder to tell from a photo, but I have a white 2014 which I've owned from new, and it's never had ANY misuse, knocks, stresses, etc., but there's a fine crack in the finish at the neck join - you're looks slightly more obvious, but that's not necessarily a sign of anything being a serious issue, or indeed any kind of issue. Is there any other evidence, like tuning instability, neck movement (other than the usual thin neck flexibility)?

Those cracks in the finish may be a sign of a knock, or using the neck shaking vibrato technique, or just normal playing - but the tenon connection has NOT been dislodged by anything - that's how it left the factory, as Don pointed out in the first reply. If it were a crack that large, you'd see plenty of other damage around the joint!

12. DelBoy-00

DelBoy-00 Member

koaguilds likes this.
  13. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

that looks like it's been there since that guitar was built.
    not a problem.
    not a quality control issue.
    it's under the pick guard....so I guess technically it's a finish flaw??? but if it's designed to be under the pick guard and unseen is it??

much ado about nothing. if you're super tweezed out about it fill the gap with epoxy and completely forget about it.

koaguilds likes this.
  14. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

You could always syringe fill the tenon gap with tite bond if you wanted. If it bothered me but I wanted to keep the guitar that's what I would do.

15. DelBoy-00

DelBoy-00 Member

16. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

it's fine. I wouldn't think filling the gap with titebond would really do much. and be a long wait as far as filling it up goes.. maybe it would fill right up?

BUT... you can easily pigment epoxy and get a close enough match to the white. as far as what shows between the tenon cover and the fretboard.... that kind of epoxy fill would be invisible.

if you use a good enough epoxy it will fill that gap and be ridiculously strong and maybe even give you some extra tone!!! :hmm:

I'm kidding about that, but... system 3 T88 epoxy is the absolute shith for gapped out permanent repairs like this. stupid strong bond and dries without any of the rubbery vibe some epoxies do. can't recommend it enough.

I'd do it if it were my guitar. but that might be reason enough to leave it alone!:rofl:

17. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

or maybe get one of those bwbwb tenon covers with les Paul engraved on it... I bet that would cover it up completely!

either way it's super damn cool guitar.

DelBoy-00 likes this.
  18. DelBoy-00

DelBoy-00 Member

19. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I don't see what I would consider fatal flaws here, but since you are so disturbed by them, return it. Fine guitars are made from wood, cut and glued by humans. Perfection is not possible in either. I have a couple of guitars that have wood grain in which someone found tiny imperfections, allowing me, who sees them for their uniqueness to buy at a discounted price. Gibson makes fine guitars and they are what they are. If I had a guitar that I could not love, I'd move it along to someone who could.

20. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Even though the cracks are apparently quite common and not a problem in themselves, I'd be pissed as hell if the seller didn't menion them before buying and mos def send it back if I didn't get enough of a refund. If I kept it I'd definitely skip the glue and make a new cover instead.