New guitar, weird crack.... help

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by DelBoy-00, Jul 2, 2020.

1. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Hang on, this must be the SG you posted pics of elsewhere:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Looks pristine to me! Why are you describing it as 'heavily used'? Like many Gibsons it left the factory with a gap on the side of the tenon join, something the seller most probably wasn't aware of, unless he'd taken it apart. Judging by the condition he doesn't even seem to have played it much, let alone strip it down! At some point the typical finish cracks have appeared around the neck joint. Might've happened in shipping from the factory, or shipping to you, it's not necessarily a sign of heavy use at all. Like I already said, my white 2014 already has the same, and it's not had any rough treatment - it also got it's first finish checking at 4 years old. Most of the yellow Gary Clarke Standards had finish checking within a year!

I'd say you got one of the cleanest white 2013 SGs you're likely to to find. If I were the seller I'd assume I was dealing with a chancer who's trying his luck. Best I'd offer would be a refund, so I could sell it to someone who'd appreciate it. But if I were you, I'd just play it... you'll soon forget the tiny finish blemishes you can't see.

This is why I don't ship when selling.

Demon Dave and DrBGood like this.
  2. DelBoy-00

DelBoy-00 Member

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  3. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

That thin crack you're seeing between the neck and body does not indicate any type of impact. That could have happened the first time it traveled from dry to humid environments or any other type of temperature change. Two different pieces of wood glued together are going to react differently to that situation, which is most likely what caused the separation you're seeing. I think you have a case of buyers remorse, which I think most of us has had at some point. I still say that's a nice looking SG.

Also meant to mention... If you want to see an ugly neck tenon, I'll take a pic of my '67 SG Special next time I change strings. Trust me you won't feel bad about yours once you see that. And that guitar has never had a neck repair. They just made ugly neck routes that year I guess.

4. DelBoy-00

DelBoy-00 Member

I see that this thread is becoming the witch-hunt so yeah, we should wrap this up. I don't see the benefit of lying, i would return the guitar for full refund, i don't hunt for that extra few bucks that you think i'm plotting about - just think it would be fair. I'm searching for a SG that's reliable, not questionable. I like this one, i don't like the situation, and being a fool for overpaying for something with cracks.

I'll just talk with Gibson and Reverb, some people here are very nice, but some think that we have all the time in the world to plot for a 100$, 200$? Nah, think what you will, but that's not my intention (as i've said i can send it back and loose money for paypal fees - i'm fine with it), all i want is to have a clean and honest trade with a seller, and a good fully functioning guitar if i paid hefty amount of money for it. But we're going in circles so i'll just leave

That's it, but remember your words when it happens to you. Hopefully it wont.

koaguilds likes this.
  5. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Another one for the "Wanted help-got opinions instead - left" archive.

Demon Dave likes this.
  6. SG standard

Seriously?

He arrived thinking he'd bought an SG with a broken neck, and learnt that what he was seeing was a regular Gibson neck joint. That's not opinion, but it is pretty helpful, isn't it?

Well, perhaps not if you just wanted support for the argument that you should get some money back, after realising you'd paid over the new price. :(

cerebral gasket likes this.
  7. Von Trapp

Yes, seriously. But my comment wasn't in any way targeted at you since you gave solid advice. Upon closer inspection there's just one arsehole comment and then it seems he just took yours the wrong way. Apologies.

SG standard likes this.
  8. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

But he made sure to clean up any evidence of his real intent and deception before he left.
    I didn't see him quote the "real price" only complain about it.
    Oh I think there are a couple more. A little metacognition goes a long way, sir.

9. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

Dude overpaid for a used guitar. Got the remorse. Hoped he found a forum that would act like cheerleaders. See ya....

cerebral gasket and SG standard like this.
  10. SG standard

Somewhere in the deleted text was a reference to 'paying more than the new cost' or such like. I took it to mean more than the 2013 cost, $1,299 RRP, which is pretty low against $1,799 RRP for a 2020 '61 Standard. So I guess a very clean SG in a currently rare colour could well go for more than it's original 2013 price. (I'm quoting RRP as I can't recall the dealer prices in 2013).

On reflection, the one striking thing was that he'd removed the strings, tenon cover and at least one pickup before he'd noticed the only real gripe - the hairline crack in the finish on the neck joint. Suggests it was pretty hard to spot if you didn't know it was there. Yet he assumed the worst in the seller, and that seemed to be why he was really feeling so upset.

EDIT: Just noticed I'd quoted the relevant text, so it still exists:
    ...he's ignoring me, and doesn't understand why is all this such a big deal for the guitar.... that's been heavily used and sold for more than it came brand new few years ago.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    flognoth, Chuteboxehero and Biddlin like this.
  11. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Active Member

Such a shame I missed all of del boy’s comments and they are all now deleted. This seemed quite entertaining!

12. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

THAT'S why I can't see PO's images. I guess I wasn't interested in the topic to start with. Oh well, not a big loss.

Demon Dave and Grizzlyman like this.
  13. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

ESG lures me in with its titillating teaser thread line "New guitar, weird crack.. Help" as one of it's highlighted post, then whe I get here I find out The Cleaner has showed up, sterilized the OP's posts & removed any evidence!

Not fer nuttin but...
    That's just really fvking LAME!

zHollywood likes this.
  14. RW59

RW59 Member

It was the OP who removed his own posts. He didn't like the answers he was getting, said the thread was turning against him, so he took his ball and went home.

Lame yes, but not the forum. He kind of proved the point some people were making -- that he was just a whiney little !;#%€ (self edit), and that he's the type of buyer that gives sellers nightmares.

DrBGood likes this.
  15. Von Trapp

you fell victim to fake news...

Grizzlyman and Relic61 like this.