New guy here, buying an SG...

Colnago

Reaction score
Just wondering what the going price of a "mint" 2017 Sg Standard should be. I have the opportunity to buy one next week and it does appear to be "as new" in the photos with little or no use at all.
I don't want to get hosed, but also want to offer a fair market price.

GrumpyOldDBA

Reaction score
I bought my very slightly used ( but i saw no wear on it ) 2017 sg standard ebony for 899 plus tax. Anywhere in the range of 800 to 1000 is reasonable in my opinion.

The major retailers have this model used but great condition around that range.

They play very well good luck!

67King

Reaction score
Funny, there was a pretty notable price increase in the 2017's late in the year. The standards had been, off of memory, about $1250. They jumped up to $1500 in December. I think I paid $1000 for mine in December as a "B-Stock" that I assume was returned due to a bad setup. A free setup by a business I frequent later, and it was like a dream. Due to the price of a new SG, I'd be inclined to expect a higher price than Grumpy, but who knows. I'd be inclined to tell you you may have to decide what you think it is worth, rather than wait for the market. Not sure how many used 2017's are out there.

Colnago

Reaction score
So far, it seems like I'll be getting a fair deal. Case candy, case and no tax is always nice as well. Pretty sure I'll go for it, I'll report back early next week.
Anything need to be changed on these guitars. Anything you don't like about them?

arcticsg

Reaction score
So far, it seems like I'll be getting a fair deal. Case candy, case and no tax is always nice as well. Pretty sure I'll go for it, I'll report back early next week.
Anything need to be changed on these guitars. Anything you don't like about them?

Agreed, they're fine the way they come. I have two of them, Cherry and white. Used, mint you should be able to pick up for under $1000, I'm thinking $900-975 shipped. GC has one in Cherry, brand new for $1169 as I type. eBay have a couple priced right in "like new" or slightly used. Good luck!

My Class of 2017:

2017fam.jpg

Colnago

Reaction score
Nice!
I've looked on reverb and the prices are very high $1500 plus shipping (usually $200). Do people pay these prices?
I'm looking at $1000 all in with case candy, case, setup, etc... Looks brand new to me, no swirl marks in the highly lit photos and such. I'll see it in person and try it out on Monday.

Col Mustard

Reaction score
Welcome to ETSG! A 2017 Standard ought to be excellent.

Lots of us will say +1 on your plan to look the guitar over in person and
play it before you buy it.

But for my part, little blemishes mean nothing. All my instruments have them.
I never think about them until I'm reading posts on a forum like this and
someone mentions it.

For me, it's tone and feel. If it feels right in my hairy paws, and if it sounds right with
I plug it in, that's what I'm interested in. If it needs setup, I usually plan to have it
looked over by my luthier right away anyway. I usually try and figure out why the
seller was willing to let it go. Sometimes I'll ask, but usually taking it to my favorite
luthier solves whatever problems the seller had.

GrumpyOldDBA

Reaction score
Reverb prices are all over but last time i checked theres a bunch of 2017 sg stds over there “mint” at 1000 and under ...

I saw a 2017 ebony sg std hp model over ther for 1500 thats a different model.

Sounds like your looking at something priced reasonably ...

lawrev

Reaction score
I have the same question as the OP - except that I'm looking at Pelham Blue, and those seemed to be rarer than the cherry, black, etc. So the PB I see out there are more expensive. Thoughts?

Colnago

Reaction score
I have the same question as the OP - except that I'm looking at Pelham Blue, and those seemed to be rarer than the cherry, black, etc. So the PB I see out there are more expensive. Thoughts?
I'd pay more, within reason, for a color that I wanted. Maybe $200 more? Seems reasonable to me, especially the rarity of it.

arcticsg

Reaction score

Keep an eye out for zzsounds open box pricing on the Pelham Blue SGs. They go for $1299 and lower. They had a demo for awhile back for $1099.

Of corse they still have them listed new at $1499.

lawrev

Reaction score
Keep an eye out for zzsounds open box pricing on the Pelham Blue SGs. They go for $1299 and lower. They had a demo for awhile back for $1099.

Of corse they still have them listed new at $1499.

Yes, I have seen those too. Thanks!

LarryC

Reaction score
Unless you are lacking in monetary funds,I would say it comes down to how fast you want to have something..If you need it NOW, then yes, you will have to pay the market value or more. If you are patient and willing to wait,then you can get deals. The question is (in Dirty Harry voice) How long are you willing to wait?

Latest posts