New guy here!

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by TheGreatWhiteSG, Feb 25, 2010.

1. TheGreatWhiteSG

TheGreatWhiteSG New Member

hey guys, well I have joined the sg army, and I knew I had to join this place with all the sweet info, I just placed and order on a 2008 Gibson SG 3 in worn white, it should be at my door by sat, do any of you guys have experince with these models? how do yo like the pups?, Pros? Cons?, and I was considering covering the pups with some nickel covers,(yes wax and all) is there a big diff in sound when you cover an open coil pickup? thanks guys and as soon as she comes in I will post some good pics for yall

2. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

As I seem to be the only other active member here at present allow me to be the first to welcome you. :)

3. bon83

bon83 Active Member

Welcome to the forum, dude.

Post some pics... :coolsmiley:

cheers
    bon83

4. AxRab

AxRab Member

Yeah Pics or it never happened!!!!!

5. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

Very cool guitar. Let us know how you like it. Oh yeah, pictures!

I checked the specs on the worn white faded and it looks like it comes with 490 pick-ups. They are not my favorite, but they are decent pick ups. The real question will be if you like them. That is all that matters.

6. miniangus

miniangus New Member

Happy rockin From Down Under!!

7. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

yep, it is an unwritten job that new members gotta post pics of their guitars.

8. TheGreatWhiteSG

Ight well Here ya go, I got her in sat, been putting her through the ropes all weekend at the rehearsal facility

its on 08 SG special faded, looks more cream than white, I love it, some say the switch is hard to use, i think not, and I actually like the pups, At my our practice pad I have my AC30 and ADV120, a few overdrive pedals and what not but it really sounds awesome cranked, and the cleans are actually very useful and great too! well I know I dont have it unless I have pics so here ya go,
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    just a shot of here with her very distant cuz, my fathers original owner 1958 J-160E

9. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

O0 I love the color, and I love the faded finishes. It looks like you have a real find there. That guitar with a trio of '57 Classics would make me a happy camper. :)

10. TheGreatWhiteSG

so what would be the difference in the pups that are on there and some 57s?

11. AxRab

AxRab Member

Thats a beauty, and I like the simplicity of 2 knobs, congrats!!!, stick around here a little longer and you will probably end up with more then one SG, like the rest of us!!!

The J160 is a Beauty as well, how cool to have pops hand me down!!!!

12. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

[quote author=TheGreatWhiteSG link=topic=20435.msg246881#msg246881 date=1267467025]
    so what would be the difference in the pups that are on there and some 57s?
    [/quote]

That is a good question and tough to answer. I guess it depends on what you are looking for. The '57 Classics have a smooth, creamy, vintage tone. The 490's aren't that different, construction wise, but they have a more modern tone. For some that is good. For some that is not so good.

To get an idea, everything I have is vintage or classic voiced: old Marshall, old Fender, old fuzz pedals, old style wah pedal, old style pick ups ('57's and P 90's).

The '57's add a sweet tone to modern voiced amps too IMHO. I used to use them through a Marshall JCM 800 (which I now wish I did not sell). It shows you where my head is at that I consider a JCM 800 a modern tone. ;D