new guy with probably overasked question

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by damian, Apr 13, 2005.

1. damian

damian Member

whats up sg gurus, after years of strats i have finally seen the light. i went to guitar center wanting a les paul classic or standard and jammed em for 2 1/2 hours than i played a used '03 standard sg. i have never dug the fat necks on standards but the lathe guy at gibson had a great day on this sg. its golden in between a standard and a 61ri. my only beef is those 490 pups. playing strats for so long, i don't mind brite tone but these suckers are pretty heavy on the mids. so i ask you all knowing sg dudes do i go with the 57 classics or is there another must have sg pup my styles kind of indy rock no metal so hum isn't a really a problem

2. straightblues

straightblues Member

Go check out the pickup forum on this site. The 57 would be a good choice. I have a WCR Crossroads in the bridge of mine and a Seymour Duncan Antiquities in the neck spot. It sounds great.

3. damian

damian Member

thanks for helpin out the new guy ill go check out the pup page

4. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to ETSG damian! :D :D :D

5. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

I too am a former Strat player (had about 5, still have 1). The day I put a set of Burstbuckers in an SG was the day I found the perfect tone. Game over!

Welcome to etsg!

H2H

6. 68GibsonSG

68GibsonSG Member

burst buckers are nice, but try p-90's welcome to etsg

7. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

i can vouch for the burstbuckers.....love em...can't imagine anything sounding better!!

8. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

57 CLassics are indeed very "scooped" in the mids.

9. damian

damian Member

pup replacement reply

never thought about burstbuckers, my lead player has them in his lp standard i dig the airy tone he gets not to sound like a retard but i didn't know that string spacing was probably the same on most gibsons, like i said i'm rookie i've got three strats and prs and experimenting with humbuckers for strats was a disaster

10. 68GibsonSG

68GibsonSG Member

why was it such a disaster, if you like the single coil pups then go with p-90's they have a very unique tone

11. jigman

jigman Member

Are they burstbucker pro's or just regular bbuckers? Anybody know the difference technically and in sound?

Thanks....Looking at possible BBucker pro installation...put one in the neck of my 52 TELE that I traded for the SG

The BBucker pro was nice though...but havent heard a regular BBucker

12. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

I use just regular BBs, not the pros. The Pros have a stronger sound to them, more output. The BBs are more of the true "PAF" style. But the Pros are nice if you want a more modern sound and higher output.

BTW, you can't just "put in a P-90" in a humbucker guitar. You have to do some construction on the actual guitar. I never recommend it, just buy a classic if youre gunning for P-90s.

H2H

13. jigman

jigman Member

I have a 2004 STD, the 498's are already pretty hot and I like them alot.
    You said the BBucker pro's are hotter than the regular BBuckers. So, where do the 498T's fall in? when compared to bbuckers or bbucker pros?
    Or, 57's for that matter. If I like the 498's should I even bother or are the bbucker pro's or bbuckers just that much better. And, why duz everyone like the 57's so much?

14. BraveUlysses

BraveUlysses New Member

anybody tried JM Rolph humbuckers in their SG?

15. Bogart

Bogart Member

I would also really like to hear this answer.

16. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

****We shall refrence the great Gibson chart***
    [​IMG]

17. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

The 57 classic is kind of the pickup to base everything off of. It is an alnicoII magnet pickup, built like a vintage paf, except for the 2 bobbins are matched in the number of windings on the coil.

the 57 classic plus uses an alnico5 magnet and has a hotter output.

The burstbucker (1&2) takes the 57 but mismatches the bobbin windings on the 2 sections so that it recreates the edgier, or more bite....whatever you wanna say, of the original PAF's, whose bobbins were mismatched due to a more low tech way of making them than today.

The BB3 uses an alnico5 magnet and has a hotter output.

The BB pros are wax potted to help reduce microphonics. But I think theyh must put a little more winding on them, cause the ones I have heard sounded a little fuller and hotter than BB1 or 2 pickups.

The 490's are an alnicoII pickup that has a different construction than the 57 or bb. It equates in the end to having a mid-high peak in eq, making it more of the modern sounding Gibson pickup.

The 498 uses an alnico5 magnet and has a hotter output.

and just for fun....

The 496/500 is a ceramic magnet pickup (500 having more magnet and more output). They are big on output and not as picky in the tone department, at least that's my view of them. Sujper hot and great for thick huge distortion, not so nice for open airy cleans or a nice cutting edge.

My take on the Gibson pickups.

H2H

18. these_go211

these_go211 New Member

hard to hear said:
    "BTW, you can't just "put in a P-90" in a humbucker guitar. You have to do some construction on the actual guitar. "
    that's not always true. i was mulling about dropping a set of p90s in my humbucker equipped epiphone sg. my luthier recommended a pair of bartollini p90s (actually they are called Q90s). he had a pair at his shop and wanted to see if they would fit in the humbucker slots so he dropped them in the empty slots and they fit fine. i ultimately decided against dropping any more money in that guitar which is why i bought the classic. but i did find out the p90 style would fit at least in my epiphone.

19. gotdabluz

gotdabluz Active Member

I'm anxiously waiting for my WCR Crossroads to arrive . . . Jim is waiting on a new batch of nickel-silver covers . . . so hopefully he will have them out by the end of the week . . . sigh

--SG

20. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member