New Limited Run: SG Tribute Raven

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
Anyone hear about these? I just stumbled across it on GC's website. I'm not a metal guy but it looks pretty slick.

https://solidguitar.fandom.com/wiki/SG_Tribute#Tribute_Raven_.282021.29

hcgcu6cJpNNGKpFZPzANvg-970-80.jpg.webp

Rusty Chops

Reaction score
I saw/handled the LP Raven at GC Chico, CA
Didn’t buy it though. Already have an HH Special Tribute.

None more black. I didn’t plug it in. Kinda like a LP Special HH, but with TOM & stopbar. No pickguard.
I generally like maple neck tributes, Specials, et al.
But I’m full up presently.
The recent Grovers on it and my SG feel much improved!

3AC91D8D-4ED7-4A01-8D65-301377C44720.jpeg

Last edited:

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
I saw/handled the LP Raven at GC Chico, CA
Didn’t buy it though. Already have an HH Special Tribute.

None more black. I didn’t plug it in. Kinda like a LP Special HH, but with TOM & stopbar. No pickguard.
I generally like maple neck tributes, Specials, et al.
But I’m full up presently.
The recent Grovers on it and my SG feel much improved!

View attachment 46125

That's a nice collection! I see you're a fan of stripped down models. I do love the feel of a satin finish. The LP Tribute is such an awesome deal, I was very tempted to grab one even though I'm not a huge LP guy. You get a lot of the Standard aesthetic for a lot less money with that model. I also love how the maple cap almost looks like binding on the body.

Rusty Chops

Reaction score
That's a nice collection! I see you're a fan of stripped down models. I do love the feel of a satin finish. The LP Tribute is such an awesome deal, I was very tempted to grab one even though I'm not a huge LP guy. You get a lot of the Standard aesthetic for a lot less money with that model. I also love how the maple cap almost looks like binding on the body.

Thanks! I was a Tele guy for decades, then got hearing aids, and realized my Showman head needed tubes and a bias job!
I like planks.
That particular LP Tribute has SD AlNiCo Pro II Slash pickups in it right now, which gives a nice midrange bump, but the 490’s will be going back in (though they sound better in the slab guitars).
I’m not currently gigging, so don’t need to cut through a 5 piece ensemble anymore.

2165ADB0-83FB-4606-95DD-C1EA0E0154D0.jpeg

PermissionToLand

Reaction score
Trogly reviewed this model a while back. Here it is:

I actually just saw that. His vids can be helpful getting pickup readings and making sure the official specs are listed correctly. But Trogly frustrates me because he tries to critique things he clearly doesn't know about sometimes. In that video, he complains that some of the stain got inside the pickup routes... really?

An Abiding Dude

Reaction score
I actually just saw that. His vids can be helpful getting pickup readings and making sure the official specs are listed correctly. But Trogly frustrates me because he tries to critique things he clearly doesn't know about sometimes. In that video, he complains that some of the stain got inside the pickup routes... really?
Yeah, he is kind of a dork, but he seems to mean well. I enjoy the specs and his assessments of QC, but I always skip his playing demos. I definitely would not want to listen to him read "War and Peace" on a audiobook for a long road trip but I can take him in 15 minute doses. He is a collector and flipper and whenever he says stuff like Gibson should raise their prices you want to strangle him.

MalcolmO

Reaction score
Well, I had to check this out because the *first* guitar I ever bought was an SG copy (with Bigsby) by a Japanese company called Raven. CAD$110. (They were $100 without the Bigsby.) Sounded boring. Didn't sound like an electric guitar! I sold it. Didn't occur to me at the time (1968) that changing the pickups would've done the trick! It was a different time and I was 17.

MR D

Reaction score
Yeah, he is kind of a dork, but he seems to mean well. I enjoy the specs and his assessments of QC, but I always skip his playing demos. I definitely would not want to listen to him read "War and Peace" on a audiobook for a long road trip but I can take him in 15 minute doses. He is a collector and flipper and whenever he says stuff like Gibson should raise their prices you want to strangle him.

My thoughts exactly ('He means well'....BUT...) especially the strangle part. BWAH HA HA !!!

Latest posts