New member and NGD

Historic

Reaction score
Hi guys, my name is Gino, after working on my collection of Gibson Les paul Custom shop R model Bursts.I finally got my first ever Gibson SG,after being emailed a new arrival guitar list from a shop.The guitar is a 2016 Gibson Custom shop Standard Historic SG Standard with Maestro Vibrola.The guitar is in excellent condition,and includes all the case candy and tags and COA.I was able to talk the price down,to $2300 so i had to grab it,since it is roughly $300 more than a new Gibson USA model of this guitar.

can you guys please tell me anything about this guitar? I know.enough of Custom shop R model Les pauls,but know nothing of SG,s accelt this is supposed to be a 1961? And has Bumble bee caps in the control cavity???? Wrong..lol ill fix that.

also is there anything i can recommend to the shop before they ship me the guitar, in that i have been reading that the trem arm gets in the way of the case closing and causes pressure on the bridge during storing, shipping??

Merry Christmas, guys and happy holidays

Attachments

• 84C4940A-8842-4794-A8E9-42487707F6BA.jpeg
    84C4940A-8842-4794-A8E9-42487707F6BA.jpeg
    355 KB · Views: 16
  • 0721F8F5-8DED-4EF4-B964-57253EA42B88.jpeg
    0721F8F5-8DED-4EF4-B964-57253EA42B88.jpeg
    292.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 0ECB90BF-D36B-4C7E-B444-19A5550BBE01.jpeg
    0ECB90BF-D36B-4C7E-B444-19A5550BBE01.jpeg
    281.6 KB · Views: 15

Historic

Reaction score
Welcome, Gino

Hope you get some info you seek.

Thank you, im just new to the SG,and when i was ready to buy one i knew that it was going to be a Custom shop Historic in Cherry red with the Maestro vibrola.After just getting my 2019 60th Anniversary R9,it was kind if sudden that i found this deal for this 2016 Historic SG,and being close to the price of Gibson USA i had to grab it.I thought it strange that the COA just says SG Standard Historic,but this is supposed to be a 1961 reissue,and all that so i wanted any help i could telling me a little about this guitars from you guys who know more.Thank you for replying

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
That's basically a garden variety SG Standard with small guard with features from the 1963-65 era.

1961-62 SG Standard had the Sideways Vibrola, not the Maestro Vibrola. 1963 was the first year the Maestro Vibrola was used. They are now offering SG Standards with the small guard to be equipped with either the Sideways or Maestro Vibrola.

Reissues are never exact replicas of the originals. There's always some features that are not consistent with the originals.

Last edited:

Historic

Reaction score
There's been so much misuse of the "61" designation the past couple of years.

1961-62 SG Standard had the Sideways Vibrola, not the Maestro Vibrola. 1963 was the first year the Maestro Vibrola was used. They are now offering SG Standards with the small guard to be equipped with either the Sideways or Maestro Vibrola.

Reissues are never exact replicas of the originals. There's always some features that are not consistent with the originals. It doesn't matter to me one way or the other if a guitar is historically correct or not. I just play them.

Awsome,thank you for that.I also learned last night that,the SG’s that you see with the Stop tailpiece and Abr-1 like a les paul,were also not done that way by Gibson,and they are more or less modified.

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
Thank you, im just new to the SG,and when i was ready to buy one i knew that it was going to be a Custom shop Historic in Cherry red with the Maestro vibrola.After just getting my 2019 60th Anniversary R9,it was kind if sudden that i found this deal for this 2016 Historic SG,and being close to the price of Gibson USA i had to grab it.I thought it strange that the COA just says SG Standard Historic,but this is supposed to be a 1961 reissue,and all that so i wanted any help i could telling me a little about this guitars from you guys who know more.Thank you for replying

Historic, GINO. I really am glad you found your way to an SG. I never tried one except for once or twice playing a high school friend's way back in 1982.
Flash forward 30 years and I get my first one which came to me via Ebay as a Used example but really totally stock as it came in 1987. Almost as soon as I got it, I wound up searching the internet for SG stuff and wound up here, where I was pleasantly welcomed by Col Mustard and a few other longer time members.

I will say, your guitar is way more beautiful than mine is, and I hope you really find it to be a terrific player. Mine is flat out a rock machine that plays incredibly easily and yet is unique from the NORM when talking 2 pickup SG's or Les Pauls. It has 3 knobs in a row like a Stratocaster instead of 4 knobs, 2x2 like most do. I kind of liked that as it reminds me of Strats in an SG Body.

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
I also learned last night that,the SG’s that you see with the Stop tailpiece and Abr-1 like a les paul,were also not done that way by Gibson,and they are more or less modified.

True that on the ABR-1 with stop bar tailpiece.
Technically all those SG '61 Reissues (1992-2013) with ABR-1 and Nashville bridges with stop bar tailpieces instead of a Sideways Vibrola were historically incorrect because of the bridge system. The early SG '61 Reissues had ABR-1 with stop bar and later models had Nashville with stop bar. The original ABR-1 on the SG Standards from 1961-71 also had nylon saddles instead of metal.

The current SG Standard '61 (often confused with SG '61 Reissue) also has the incorrect bridge system and the crown inlay is not at the correct location for a 1961 SG Standard.

None of this bothers me.
Just observations.

Last edited:

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
Gino, there are quite a few players in here such as Cerebral and Permission to Land, SG John, Col Mustard, Biddlin, Relic61, Sysco and some others who are quite knowledgeable about the various details on the SG's over the years.

I am very sure you will enjoy it here and it will also add to the enjoyment of your new SG.

Last edited:

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
Since 2012 and my acquiring my first SG, the Black 1987 on the right, I added my other 2 in the next few years. Then back in 2019 I got my white 1976 SG Std. So needless to say, once I got an SG, the SG's had ME.
3 SG's.jpg

3 SG's 1.jpg

Historic

Reaction score
Thank you, guys for being cool and not biting my head off for asking , i guess these kinds of questions.I bellong to MLP, as well....JK

Historic

Reaction score
Since 2012 and my acquiring my first SG, the Black 1987 on the right, I added my other 2 in the next few years. Then back in 2019 I got my white 1976 SG Std. So needless to say, once I got an SG, the SG's had ME.
View attachment 43508

View attachment 43509

Beautiful guitars.You know it was weird for me,the first SG i ever picked up,i was almost in shock because of the neck,i never felt or saw a neck that was soo flat like that.Can i expect that with my “1961” or 1960’s reissue is probally better to call it?

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
I had a 2009 SG '61 Reissue in the past.
Got rid of it because of the neck.
Neck was very thin, front to back and flat on backside.
Felt like playing a popsicle stick.

From my experience, an SG with batwing (large guard) will have a fatter rounder neck profile. There are some exceptions to the rule. I have never come across an SG with small guard that has a baseball bat neck.

I've never handled one in person, but those 1964 SG Standard Reissue w/Maestro Vibrola claim to have a Medium C-Shape neck.

I like the necks on my SG Classics.

Ebony
1st fret: 0.845"
12th fret: 1.00"

Cherry
1st fret: 0.825"
12th fret: 0.975"

full

Thickest neck I have ever encountered on an SG was attached to a 1970 SG Junior.

full

Last edited:

Historic

Reaction score
I had a 2009 SG '61 Reissue in the past.
Got rid of it because of the neck.
Neck was very thin, front to back and flat on backside.
Felt like playing a popsicle stick.

From my experience, an SG with batwing (large guard) will have a fatter rounder neck profile. There are some exceptions to the rule. I have never come across an SG with small guard that has fat rounded neck.

I've never handled one in person, but those 1964 SG Standard Reissue w/Maestro Vibrola claim to have Medium C-Shape neck.

Fat rounded necks for me.
I have a couple of SG Classics with fairly fat rounded necks.

Ebony
1st fret: 0.845"

Cherry
1st fret: 0.825"
12th fret: 0.975"

full

Nice, i think it says that my neck profile is 0.800 at the first

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
Cereb,

I don't have calipers handy, but it seems my 3 Special necks are wide enough and thick enough for me. Then as you likely know, Norlin era necks could get a bit narrow and yet be thick U shaped on some like my white one is. It has a 1 9/16 nut, but it also flares out decently wide by the 12th fret.

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Norlin era has the 1-9/16" nut width.
Early to mid 1980's they switched back to 1-11/16".

It's funny how after you play enough of them, just knowing the thickness at 1st and 12th and the shape ahead of time can give you a good indication of what to expect if you have to purchase one sight unseen.

The amount of shoulder or lack of makes a difference too. Many are similar, but no two are identical.

Last edited:

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
Where do you live? Gino Are your LP necks thin and wide, 60's taper, baseball bat or what?

Another thing is some guitar dealers allow like a 30 day trial and free return. Did the place you got it have that policy?

Historic

Reaction score
Where do you live? Gino Are your LP necks thin and wide, 60's taper, baseball bat or what?

Another thing is some guitar dealers allow like a 30 day trial and free return. Did the place you got it have that policy?

Im in mass, yes the store is taking care of me fully in writing.However the way i am with guitars, is that as long as the Build quality is good and no issues ,God willing.I keep the guitar.I wont get rid of the guitar because of a certain neck profile, i accept it for it being what Gibson created and love it for what it is.

Last edited:

cerebral gasket

Reaction score
Maybe it will not be such a contrast.
Anything 60's Slim Taper always feels flat on the backside to me.

I prefer a fat rounded 50's neck.

My '58 Reissue LP Junior DC neck:
1st fret: 0.925"

The LP neck thickness is not much different than my SG necks. But the LP neck has quite a bit more shoulder, so it feels massive. I like them both (SG and LP). I'm not that fussy about necks as long as they are on the thicker and rounded end of the spectrum.

chilipeppermaniac

Reaction score
It's funny how after you play enough of them, just knowing the 1st and 12th fret thickness and the shape can give you a good indication of what to expect. The amount of shoulder or lack of makes a difference too. Many are similar, but no two are identical.

This just about sums up GIBSON throughout their entire life as a company.

Latest posts