New member and NGD

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by Historic, Dec 25, 2020.

1. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

I understand, I was mostly meaning as whole package. Like if you get it and anything or any number of things you just feel are not great, then you can return it. Hate to see any new buyer " settle" for a guitar they are not 100% happy with.

Gino, SG John is from Mass too. Look him up, he likely knows what you can expect fit and feel wise etc.

2. Historic

Historic New Member

Awsome thanks guys for all the great replies

cerebral gasket likes this.
  3. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

In Mass...uggh. I grew up in NH and live in FL now. It might have gotten down into the 20s here this past weekend but i never have to worry about shoveling that white stuff around anymore lol.

4. Historic

Historic New Member

lol, i hear you, you know what? I actually love the snow.Last year we didnt get anything

rotorhead likes this.
  5. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

I didn't mind it when I was like 10 years old but damn that stuff now. If it would snow a foot or two a week before Xmas and then go away a week after, I'd be good lol.

What I hated was when it lingered around until April or so and be all grimy and nasty.

6. Historic

Historic New Member

Oh yeah.i hear that, for me im still 10 years old give or take.You should have seen the dance i did when i just got the notification that my Gibson Custom SG was just shipped

Chuteboxehero and rotorhead like this.
  7. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

Congrats one the SG! I'm a little south of you in CT and we've had more snow this year than the last 2 or 3 combined. I'm thinking it's time to invest in a snow blower. As far as the neck in concerned, if you've been comfortable playing R9's and R0's, I can't imagine this SG will feel too far off from what you're used to. Post some pics once it comes in!

8. Historic

Historic New Member

Thanks man,i will its a 2016 Standard Historic so its supposed to be a 1961,im going to buy some double ring Klusons,for it,so it will be like a 1963 or so with the Maestro Vibrola it has.Then possibly change the pots and caps to a cremetone vintage correct Ceramic Disk capacitor set.Its going to be a fun project

9. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

You mentioned in OP something about it having Bumble Bee Caps. That's really odd because I have never seen or heard of vintage SG ever using those type of caps. Makes no sense to use them on reissues trying to mimic something that never was.

10. Historic

Historic New Member

Yes exactly it says on Gibsons website about it having bumblebee Caps, and i read the description of various other Custom shop Historic SG’s and it said the same thing.Its strange as to why they would use those? I read up on the origional Ceramic disks Gibson used on the Real Vintage SG’s and the ceramic disks are supposed to drive the pickups harder or something, giving it that aggressive SG sound or helping? I dont know.Cremetone makes a vintage correct CTS potentiometer set for the guitar,using real 1960’s Ceramic disk caps, Fun

cerebral gasket likes this.
  11. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Too many things from Les Paul Reissues seem to be carrying over to the SG Reissues with new management I guess.

12. Historic

Historic New Member

Well Guys,my 1961 or 60’s Gibson Custom shop SG Standard came today,and i had an amazing day.The guitar and case are in new condition,and the guitar is built really well,no flaws in the paint neck joint,nothing.Very fast action on this guitar,and i love the “Flat”? Neck profile of the SG.I had to break out into an hour jam of “Children of the Grave”and “Iron Man” after looking the guitar over,and plugging it in.The guitar sounds beautiful clean,but then just sounded Mean,when pushed.Amazing guitar

Last edited: Jan 1, 2021