New Member introducing myself..again. in proper forum this time.

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by Bassman_75, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Bassman_75

Bassman_75 New Member

Hello everyone hope you all are well on this 4th of July holiday and playing your SG, Les Paul or whatever your weapon of choice is for the enjoyment of yourself and others. Just wanted to say hello and look forward to getting to know you all. I am from Mesquite Texas and have lived here since 2011. I don't play in any bands more for my own enjoyment and have been playing steadily since I was prob 16 or 17. I also play bass, and a little keyboard. I started as many i'm sure do buying guitars from pawn shops and learning on really horrible instruments, but over the years learned how to work on them to get them back into playable condition. After learning basic setup and repairs I ventured into building or rather assembling parts casters and a small Champ 5F1 clone amp and then building Gibsons from husks. I was bitten by the Gibson Bug after a deal on a 95 Les Paul Studio acquisition discovering the amazing sounds these instruments can create. I have since then assembled a Tribute Les Paul and most recently my SG Special here.[​IMG]. I have played SGs numerous times throughout the years mostly Epiphone or copy brands and even recently had a 99 Gibson SG Standard unfortunately decided to return it due to a mix up by GC. Have always loved the look and sound but never could get a feel for them until I assembled the Special. Maybe its the stripped back feel and simplicity I like as with my Les Paul Tribute but I just dig the basic formula no bells or whistles except whatever I choose to add. Anyhow glad to be here hope to hear from any and all of you fellow music lovers and for anyone in the Dallas or Mesquite area, looking to find some people to jam or just hang out let me hear from you.

2. dr_piranha

dr_piranha New Member

Wow. Looks great. Is this from a kit or did you cut the shape from a mahogany blank?

I, too, have assembled partscasters sourcing parts from various vendors. Tried my hand at a refret on a trash pile guitar which didn't go all that well. Set necks always seemed a bit daunting for me, so I ended up purchasing a used standard Gibson SG yesterday.

Cheers!

3. Southwind

Southwind New Member

Welcome from Dodge City

4. Bassman_75

Bassman_75 New Member

Welcome, I purchased the body from Stratosphere and had the pickups from a 2016 Les Paul 50s Tribute that I loaded with 50s wiring and a set of SD Seth Lover pickups. The PCB was from EBAY and the tuners from Grover. The bridge and tailpiece are from that 2016 Tribute well.
    Allparts reflector knobs and she was good to go. I've tried various repairs and setups on pawnshop junkers and turned some into great playing instruments.

dr_piranha likes this.