New member learning on SG

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by JoeRockHead, Jul 28, 2018.

1. JoeRockHead

JoeRockHead New Member

Hi everyone, I've been visiting here for awhile reading posts and learning what I can from you guys, figured it was time I joined. I'm a long time old school rock fan, being a teenager of the 70s that I never grew out of ;) . Sabbath, Zeppelin, Cream, Skynard, ACDC, Neil Young's heavy stuff, - but really got the bug to start making my own noise a little over a year ago. Always liked the look and sound of SGs, epiphone was my price range more than Gibson but I really wanted some awesome humbuckers so I got the EPI Tony Iommi signature and I love it. Also have an Axl Johnson Strat that was practicality given to me, sounds good and plays well but I'm not really a strat guy. Anyways, you guys are a treasure trove of experience and info, I think I found the right forum to for me. IMG_20180728_173221-1224x1632.jpg PhotoPictureResizer_180728_180040165-1224x1632.jpg
    007.jpg
    IMG_20180109_193209-1224x1632.jpg

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    JCarno and Layne Matz like this.
  2. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Well-Known Member

What on Earth is a Crazy Horse Pedal???

Neil Young was the first musicoan to really grab my attention. Somethimg about being a depressed low income teen and hearing songs like Down by the River, or Powderfinger gave me soemthing to hold not. That thing being music. I love all of Neils stuff, even the new albums he puts out almost constantly.
    Those old acoustic tracks are just as moving as well, maybe more so at a young age when you are right on the edge of the cliff about to fall into adulthood, with all the wonders and tragedies that entails.

The late great steel guitarist Ben Keith was a real inspiration for me, right along side Neil's playing.

Did you ever get into the Doors or Muddy Waters?

Edit: Are there any acoustics in the household? :D

JoeRockHead likes this.
  3. JoeRockHead

JoeRockHead New Member

Haven't heard much Muddy but I do like John Lee Hooker and Sonny Boy Williamson. I used to have a tape of him playing with the Yardbirds.

Doors were great but I haven't really been trying to play any yet. I like the " everybody knows this is nowhere" era Neil young too. The crazy horse pedal gives distortion and over driven tweed amp volt starving crazyness really close to the rust never sleeps stuff, like hey hey my my, or tamer like cinnamon girl . Pricey pedal that I got cheaper by trading in a couple others that i wasnt too fond of, like an mxr badass distortion. I REALLY dig the sounds on this pedal though, the distortuon can get insane, but there are a lot of levels to play around with, definitely not just for NY.

I have no acoustic, but I do get a pretty clean sound on the strat for when I try to play something like needle and the damage done.... Lately been try to learn rock and roll hoochie koo by rick derringer, song is so cool and fun to play, at least what little I can play of it yet.

Layne Matz likes this.
  4. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Well-Known Member

Id love to try one of those pedals! I wore out the needle on my Mom's turntable with rust never sleeps. I didnt listen to evrybody know this is nowhere till much later because i didnt have it. The Decade record however has down by the river and cowgirl in the sand back to back. Those were the first guitar solos I really tried to play. Even when I'm in Em, Am, Dm I find myself mimicing licks here and there.

I started playing on an acoustic, I played that acoustic for 3 and a half years before i got an electric and an amp. There is something ever so down to earth about an acoustic, its just something else entirely. Its definitely more if a challenge than electric is. An electric is made to be easily played, in my experiences most acoustics require a learning curve. The sustain and tone of each kind is different, the tonewood matters and impacts sound, placement of joints makes a huge difference. In my opinion Acoustics feel much more aliv efor lack of a better term. Please get an acoustic sometime,you'll be better off having it around- you'll play it sooner or later and it will take you to new places, places electrics cannot go no matter how acoustic or clean they sound. I dont mean to come across rude or anything, acoustics are a different animal.

A lot of the Doors stuff isnt too difficult to play, I love it to death- aint nothing like the Doors in playing sync like the colors of a fine psychedelic painting. Its a real trip

JoeRockHead likes this.
  5. JoeRockHead

JoeRockHead New Member

I've been thinking about adding an accoustic but it's not in my budget right now, I just bought the bassbreaker so need to calm down for awhile. I have a brother who has been playing folk and bluegrass for like 40 years who could certainly point me in that direction he plays a Martin something or other that sounds awsome but I'm sure was pricey. What do you play? I'm having so much fun with the electric but sometimes I wouldn't mind having something I could just grab and take with me when I go camping or whatever.

By the way, lots of YouTube videos on the Durham Electronics Crazy Horse pedal with guys playing powderfinger an such. Great pedal if your into NY, especially if you can find a deal. Mine's a definite keeper.

Layne Matz likes this.
  6. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

Welcome to ETSG. Nice guitars.

I too am a child of the 70s. Oddly. It was CSN&Y that got me hooked on wanting to learn guitar. However. I went the acoustic path in ‘73 with a 12 string acoustic followed a year later with my “good” guitar. A 6 string Ovation acoustic. Still have both.

As for Mr. Young. I like lots of different types of music. Different styles. Different groups. Depends on the day and mood I’m in. But one thing that has not wavered in decades. Neil Young still sits at the top of my favorites pyramid. Cinnamon Girl is the ring tone I have for Mrs. IbLive. What can I say.

Layne Matz and JoeRockHead like this.
  7. JoeRockHead

JoeRockHead New Member

Ovation is a good acoustic? Are those the ones with the rounded backsides?

8. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

That is correct.