New member ngd

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by budg, Jul 16, 2020.

1. budg

budg New Member

I just wanted to say hello and I just became reacquainted with the SG after a 40 plus year absence. Been mostly a strat guy most of my guitar playing life . Have been dabbling in Gibsons for the last 10 years. Unfortunately I have degenerative disc disease that makes the weight of a guitat important to me. I have sold off several Les Pauls because of this reason. I started looking at SGs and honestly I dont know what took me so long . I tried out several and settled on the 61 Standard thats in my avatar. The guitar is flawless . Great build quality and the thing just roars . The coolest thing is it weighs just 6.3 lbs . I have a 335 , a LP Tribute and now an SG. TBH the SG is not only my favorite Gibson, Its my favorite guitar period .

Here are a couple more pics of it.https://imgur.com/A7of2uY

https://imgur.com/ZpeDtFI

2. KS 5150

KS 5150 New Member

Hi Budg, welcome here. You're from MLP, right? I recognize your name. I've recently joined this forum after also purchasing a 2019 '61 with sideways vibrola. Yours looks like a beauty!!

3. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Howdy, and welcome to the board! :smile:

4. budg

budg New Member

Thanks. Yes I’m a member over at mlp too. Thanks for the kind words. I love the look of those sideways vibrolas. These are rocking guitars.

KS 5150 likes this.
  5. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Welcome to ETSG... we see many posts where guys say something similar:
    How they never could appreciate the SG until recently, how easily the SG
    has become their favorite. The kind of "I don't know what took me so long"
    post.

Not that we have anything against Strats or Les Pauls around here.
    Lots of us play both. That that's really the answer, to what took you so long...
    Because if you're into Strats and Lesters those will do a lot of what you
    might need done. You might not know you liked the SG until you try one.

We all come to the SG in our own way. For me, I was into acoustic guitars and
    bass for most of my career, and only glanced at an electric guitar. I always love the
    sound of one, but always thought of them as someone else's guitar. *shrugs
    But just walking through a music store where they had a rack of SGs (in addition
    to all the other types)... and doing a classic double take when I glanced at the
    SGs... it was a faded brown one that caught my eye. I walked over, not having a
    clue about what was going to happen to me
    . I took one down and tuned it, and
    strummed it, yeah yeah... I took the brown one down, and tuned it, and played
    it a bit, and WOW... the instrument seemed to come alive in my hands.
    What a feeling.
    luna 12-24-17@100.jpg
    I tried to be cool about it, tried to pretend I was interested in the rack of Strats,
    but I couldn't stop thinking about that one Gibson SG special. I ended up buying
    it. This was 2008, and it's 12 years later and she's still the Queen of my music
    room. I named her Luna. Here's the Queen, being pampered by slave girls...
    Luna whole guitar@100.jpg

Rusty Chops, Steve D, Didds and 3 others like this.
  6. cheshiergrin

cheshiergrin Well-Known Member

Welcome, and congrats. :thumb:

7. jazzalta

jazzalta New Member

Welcome. I too am a brand new member, and play a 2012 SG Standard with the katalox fingerboard.

Biddlin likes this.
  8. jazzalta

jazzalta New Member

budg, we have similar stories. I too abandoned sg's over 40 years ago and went through a plethera of les pauls, strats and teles. I had a disc removed and can't handle heavy guitars anymore. I traded my tele for a 2012 SG standard as the longer scale flared up my arthritis (God, do I sound old). So now I'm a happy camper.