New member SG fan 4 life!

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by Headspace1965, Sep 3, 2020.

1. Headspace1965

Headspace1965 New Member

Hello SG owners! I have a question about my Epi SG. I have a 2019 G400 with alnico humbuckers. Is coil tapping them and adding push/pull pots worth the effort?From reading the threads so far, I know a treble bleed would need to be added. What benefit does a coil tap setup get you?

2. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

2019 ... doesn't it already have coil tapping push-pull pots ?

3. Headspace1965

Headspace1965 New Member

The g400 pro has the split coils, not the g400.

DrBGood likes this.
  4. DrBGood

Didn't realize they made a Pro and a non Pro in 2019.

5. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

Ask yourself this: "How many times will I need a single coil sound?" If it's rarely, then don't bother.
    And no, a treble bleed doesn't need to be added. People add them, since as you lower the volume, you loss a bit of treble as you go down. Only if this loss is that noticeable to your ears should you consider one.

Now, back to the coil tap. You don't need to add push/pulls, or any other kind of switch to have a coil tap tone. Simply take the tap wire (on a 3 conductor pickup) or the 2 other wires, (on a 4 conductor) and wire them to the unused leg of your tone pot. (Quick side note here, ONLY do this if you have one tone control per pickup. If you try it with a 1 tone control guitar, it won't sound right, that one coil will always be on. You have been warned.) From 0-9, it will be a humbucker, and be a normal tone control. At 10, one coil will be sent to ground, making it sound like a single coil.

6. DrBGood

Really ? ? ? Well ... I'll go to bed a bit less dumb tonight :rofl:

Bad Penguin likes this.
  7. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's an old school trick. Used by Peavey with the boat anchor they called the T60. I discovered it in an Adrian Legg book.

DrBGood likes this.
  8. Headspace1965

Headspace1965 New Member

Thank you for the information!

9. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

It's been a loong time since I learned something here, but that sh1t is damn interesting! As for the OPs question; you need a coil tap if you can't afford a strat or if you have one and don't have time to change guitars. Guess it also depends on what music you play. Or what band you play in. For someone playing at after ski's/beach it could probably be handy if you go from Back In Black to Sultans of Swing.... But yeah, ask yourself what you would need it for. I personally find them a bit silly but then again I only play metal and some people find that silly too, so hey...

Arthwys and Headspace1965 like this.