New member with new guitar

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Eset, Oct 23, 2021.

1. Eset

Eset New Member

Hello!

I've finally created an account after checking this forum for advice and for enjoying some beautiful guitar pics for a few months now. And, in addition to my Fender Stratocaster (Lite Ash MIK HSS) I have just become a very happy owner of a new Gibson SG Standard Ebony.

After sending back a Gibson SG Standard in Heritage Cherry that somehow did not feel right to me, I gave this model another try and got me an Ebony one from Thomann. It's actually labelled as B-Stock and was probably returned as the protective foil on the pickguard had already been removed. The binding is not perfect and there are some ridges on the fretboard, so I understand why someone wasn't happy. I take it as a badge of character as it doesn't have a result on the playability.

However, I had an immediate connection to the instrument, contrary to the Heritage Cherry one. I love how the SG can sound super soft, like velvet, but can develop so much grit and bite with some gain.
    IMG_4165 (1).jpeg IMG_4166 (1).jpeg IMG_4168 (1).jpeg IMG_4169 (1).jpeg

2. Decadent Dan

Decadent Dan Active Member

Welcome, congrats, looks like the PLEK machine was drunk.
    Somebody that knows what they’re doing could fix it in a couple hours.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2021
    Eset likes this.
  3. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

Glad you got one you like! That is the first and most important step, getting one that feels "right" in your hands. Checking (or having the set up checked) and adjusted to your liking is the next step. It sounds like it is already close, so it may not take much or even anything if you are lucky. I usually find some adjustment possible with any new to me guitar to make it more to my liking. Nice looking SG. :dude:

4. Eset

Eset New Member

Thank you! The string height is feeling alright, the thick E string is 1.9 to 2mm high. Only thing I changed was increasing the height of the tailpiece as the strings touched the bridge and I wanted to follow the advice of those who argue this puts too much pressure on the bridge. Had to adjust the intonation accordingly, but that was easy as well. Tunings are stable so far. I realised the neck humbucker is slightly louder than the bridge humbucker, especially with clean tones, but that's not much of a probably as I am only playing at home.

5. Eset

Eset New Member

Thanks for your advice. Just wanted to share a close-up of the binding. Do you think this could become a problem for whatever reason or would fixing it be rather a question of aesthetics? Thank you! Bildschirmfoto 2021-10-23 um 22.25.23.jpg

6. Go Nigel Go

Go Nigel Go Well-Known Member

The binding is mainly an aesthetic issue, don't see it doing anything beyond the looks and maybe some rough feeling at the edges while playing on the high and low E strings. As noted above, it could be cleaned up and polished out fairly easily. Odd that whoever did it in the first place didn't take care of it, but if as you say this is a guitar that suits your tastes otherwise I would be inclined to fix it and keep it.

The pickup outputs can probably be balance with the provided pickup height and pole piece adjustments as well, so I would definitely start there. Again, sort of surprised this wasn't addressed when the (apparent) Plek job was done. Perhaps a case of someone who thought the machine was supposed to take care of everything, which isn't the case. Simply using a Plek machine does not relieve the operator of the responsibility of knowing how to set up and adjust the instrument, or to finish the job. Sounds like they at least got the fret/string height adjustments right, so that is something. It is certainly one of the more difficult things to get right, and is something the machine can excel at.

Eset likes this.
  7. SGBreadfan

SGBreadfan Active Member

Congrats on the new guitar, I think the black batwing SG’s are some of the coolest looking guitars ever! As far as the binding, as long as it doesn’t bother you when you’re playing I wouldn’t worry about it :)

8. MR D

MR D Active Member

WELCOME and CONGRATULATIONS on your NGD !!! Thats just ROCKIN' !

The 'CONNECT' is MAJOR..... To Find yourself not being able to wait to play it again etc etc......Oh yes, Its the best !

I got the same Guitar (Mines a Featherweight at just under 6 LBS)........These new 'MODERN' SG's are just ROCKIN'-A$$ Work-Horse Guitars. A Good set-up (Neck Relief as close to DEAD-STRAIGHT as possible w/out Kinking the Binding, say, .003"/.004" @ 9TH Fret) is all you need to make them really SCEEEEMMM ! I've found that 'MODERN' SG's really come alive the closer to DEAD-STRAIGHT you get the Neck-Relief (Pretty much the case with all Solid Body GIBSON Electrics). I did get the 490's out of mine, but there is nothing 'Wrong' with them and some players really like the 490's......For me, it made a big difference.....especially when not Cranking the volume/gain.

ON BINDINGS: Well 'Rolled' Neck Bindings are the **** (2019-2021 SG Standard's do not have them, or at least mine do not).AND Now? w/GIBSON's price hikes? IMO all GIBSON Neck Bindings should be 'ROLLED'. Applying and scraping a Neck Binding is something I am not capable of doing (YET)......and, IDK if a machine does most of it now ? IDK....but players certainly pay a premium price for Neck Bindings. The difference between 'ROLLED' and Non-ROLLED Neck Bindings, when just looking at them is not much (BUT it is obvious) but I've found that it is the feel in the hand that sets a 'ROLLED' Neck Binding apart...

Congrats again, I C ahead, a life-time of Good-Times playin that BAD-A$$ !

Eset likes this.
  9. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Welcome to ETSG!
    And congratulations on getting a guitar that feels right.
    To me, that's the most important quality there is.
    Setup by a qualified luthier makes a huge difference, and
    can prevent people having to return guitars.

Aesthetics are simply minor issues IMHO. All my guitars have dings and scratches, and I just play them.
    Setup is much much more important. Every new guitar needs to be set up to make it your own. Some time, when your SG is in the luthier's shop, ask about getting
    the binding smoothed... an expert can do this well.

And isn't there "just something" about a Black SG...
    I think so. Rock that sucker!

Eset likes this.
  10. Huntroll

Huntroll Active Member

Welcome to the forum !
    I've got one with similar reworked fretboard/binding imperfections also.
    When I bought it new, I was able to negotiate a lower price because of it.
    The reworked area on mine doesn't look nearly as bad. I think it was around an additional 25% off in my case.
    That's beside the usual 10 to 20% I expect to receive off list price in the first place.
    I don't know if I could ignore the issues on yours at any price, every time I played the guitar I would dwell on it.
    I routinely run my hand back and forth along the bottom of the neck and yours would stick out like a sore thumb.
    The rework at the 15th fret should have scrapped the guitar, in my opinion.

Eset likes this.
  11. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ, that really looks as if an ape did it blindfolded. Forget about he plastic on the pickguard, this is why someone sent it back, and with good reason. If this wasn't mentioned and the price doesn't reflect it, send it the hell back. It's not just a matter of scraping the bindings it seems to have affected the fretboard as well. Fixing it will cost you since it's a long and tedious job to sand everything down and the ends of the fretboard will end up kind of scalloped since you're not taking away what's under the frets.

The correct fix for this is to remove the frets and bindings, sand down the fretboard to remove the grooves and then refret and rebind but since you don't know how deep the inlays go, well, that could be a bit of a gamble as well. Interestingly, this is probably the next to last thing you do building a guitar so imagine; all was going swimmingly and then someone handed it to mr Ape, who had ONE job... Then some other guy went "Meh" and did the frets anyway. slipped QC a deuce and off it went.

So yeah, send it back or demand one hell of a rebate.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    Eset likes this.
  12. Neil from Ottawa Canada

Neil from Ottawa Canada Member

Thanks for joining up and sharing your story. If you connect with this guitar you have hit the jackpot. Flaws IMO give a guitar extra character. I have a quarter inch dent on the fretboard of one guitar. It is my cheapest electric guitar by far, but it's the one that brings out the best lead solos in me. I would though, have someone smooth down the ridges in your binding. Play 'er.

Eset and Rusty Chops like this.
  13. Rusty Chops

Rusty Chops Well-Known Member

Welcome!
    Looks like the same guy did the fingerboard on my LP Standard that I took back because the bridge was bottomed on one side and still was too high!

So I came home with my latest SG. Like yours but Heritage Cherry. Love the 490’s!

34A4F1A6-A615-414D-9E5E-84D9F519232B.jpeg

JohnnySG and Eset like this.
  14. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

The Plek machine only touches the frets and nut slots. The binding nibs are done by hand, which is why what you're seeing is pretty common. Nothing to worry about at all.

Eset and Rusty Chops like this.