new neck

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by idiotbear, Mar 6, 2005.

1. idiotbear

idiotbear New Member

Hi guys,

Another question from me! :D

I'm using the remains of an Epi SG-400 to construct something a bit nicer, but I'm worried about the neck. The original set neck had snapped just above the heel, so I removed the remains of the neck from the pocket and cleaned the pocket up with a chisel. It's a good clean job.

So now I need a neck! Does anyone know a good supplier of set necks? I've asked Warmoth to quote for me, but I don't know if they'll even do it (AFAIK they usually only do bolt-ons).

Also, is setting a neck too much to take on for someone who's never attempted any lutherie before? I'm pretty good at woodwork in general, but a lot of the info on the web seems to say "set neck? Forget it and hire a luthier!". But I don't want to!

2. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

Whats a luthier got that you dont have? Go for it.

The problem you may have is getting the scale to come out right with the bridge location you've got. Or the width of the heel. Or the angle of the pocket. Or the height of the neck. You may find you need to totally fill the heel and reroute a completely new pocket to match your neck. If I could make a toilet seat be a body for a Strat neck... I know you can do it!

3. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Go for it! :D With help like CB and the others around here, you can do it.... 8) 8) 8)